1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Do vendors migrate during winter?

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Sweeney, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

I'm just curious about the playing habits of people here. When I started (In July) there were more reagent/lrc/shuriken/potion keg/scroll/gm barbed armor, vendors than I could spit on. Since then there has been a serious vendor shortage.

Is this a seasonal issue or is it a sign of the times?

2. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

reagent - Never sold them, but my guess is: no faction vendors atm to restock from to sell

lrc - not sure, my hubby puts some on his vendor when he can, but he can't keep it stocked perma.

shuriken - on sale at my place

potion keg - stocking alchemy vendors rapidly becomes a chore if you play honestly, I did it on Europa. Making around 40 kegs per day didn't leave me time to do anything else, that's not 'playing'

scroll - power scrolls or scribe scrolls? I sell some scribe scrolls.

gm barbed armor - hardly sells any more since there's so much cursed arti and faction stuff doing the rounds and some people haven't been able to work out how to get barbed leather without a BoS.

3. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

Petra I'm probably your best shuriken patron, you are amazing at keeping them stocked.. My current needs are lrc/mr armor. But above all that I see so many empty vendors, so many shops that once had multiple vendors that now have nothing.

It's rather depressing considering how many shop owners I used to see around and never see now. I am not asking about once specific item or type.. more to the massive lack of vendors (with anything usefull).

4. Petra Fyde

The whole game is in decline :(

More games coming out, so more competition.

EA seen as unhelpful - possibly because they're short staffed because of the current world wide economy.

Same cause for some people quitting or mothballing accounts. When cash gets tight leisure activities have to go.

Of course the other worldwide climate that dictates that 'childish spite' > 'good sportsmanship' doesn't help. The fault of my generation I'm afraid. Some of us brought our children up to be too self-centred and selfish. :(

5. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

I was hoping for a happier reply.. this feeds into my fear of paying $$$ for soulstones if SA fails.

6. Petra Fyde

well, put it in context. - how much do the stones cost when compared to say beer or a trip to the cinema?

How much enjoyment, in time, do you get for your dollar? That's what I always do.

For a month's subscription to UO I can play 24/7 if I want, but that money wouldn't get me more than 1 trip to the cinema, about 3 hours worth of entertainment.

work it out in hours per $ when compared to any other form of entertainment. Even if the game dies in 6 months it's lasted hell of a lot longer than the crate of beer you could have bought with the same money??

7. FrejaSP

FrejaSP Queen of The Outlaws
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

One of the main reasons you see so few vendors are they are very greedy on Siege.

It cost 3x so much to run a vendor on Siege and if there is not enough customers, items may stay for days on a vendor, special away from town and moongates.

I really wish to stock my vendors, but everytime I try, I'm loosing money instead of making money.

If I stock my vendor with regs, I will easy have a stock of a valie of 100000k on my vendor.

That will cost me 1800gp a day in vendor fee. One week without selling anything will mean 12600gp in fee. If I want 1gp in profit for each regs, I should get 12k in profit from selling my stock of a vendor value of 100k.

That mean I won't get any profit for selling my regs if it take a week, if it take more than a week, I will lose money.

I really wish to run vendors but I can't affort it as my vendors are far away from towns.

8. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

(At least when I started) vendors have always cost 3x as much. But there were still plenty around. This thread is more about the decline.. maybe it's less players, maybe less newbie players. Maybe it was the recent vendor changes about the 24 hour rule.. who knows.

But to mate the threads into one, I should say it is definitely a sign when over half of the vendor spots are now worthless.

The next shop that can supply reagents, lrc armor, gm armor, potion kegs, etc.. will have the most popular business.

The entire vendor game is capitalism based.. if you are reliably stocked, you are shopped at. Ever since its inception.

I don't want to believe things have deteriorated so much in only 5 months.

9. Petra Fyde

:(
    There are less vendors around, but let's see if we can list who still is.

Zebediah hasn't posted for a while, but Cybernickel's vendors are still at his shop
    Czarina's gone?
    Freya's vendors are there, are Jasmine's still opposite?
    Leaf's shop, I think we know, is still on the edge of Umbra.
    Patty's vendors are still just outside Luna.
    Is the necessities shop still thriving at Yew gate?
    The Chick's vendors still just south of there?
    What about the vendors by Zento gate? are they still there?
    C8V still in Luna? I don't go to Luna very often, but there used to be quite a lot of vendor shops there.

10. Hoffs

Hoffs Gilfane Keeper of the Hall
    Stratics Veteran Gilfane

Unfortunately, it must be stated that the Siege population has dropped alarmingly in the past couple of months. I am sure most of us know people who have sold up, announced that they are 'taking a break', or simply disappeared. Indeed, what was the largest alliance just a short time ago has now all but ceased operations.

I wish I could offer clear solutions to the problem, but it is not easy. Personally I think we desperately need the new expansion. I know many folk state that we do not need new stuff/land, which is probably true in the case of land, but I think it needs new activities to get people interested again.

Perhaps the EM program can benefit us and maybe if they reduce the ROT times it will help. Also, if they look at more combat imbalances, such as greater dragons, it will bring a few back. But as stated, it is not easy, if people were asked why they left you would probably get a myriad reasons.

There are still some of us who are die-hard UO/Siege folk and have no interest in other games/shards, we just have to hope that we can rebuild this community somehow.

11. FrejaSP

Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

Yes but less customers around together with the 24 hours rule make more vendors close down

I wish they would changes it so vendor cost was per week, this way, all would have 7 days to sell their items no matter if their vendor is on a hotspot or away from town/mooongates

I'm not a full time crafter, I would like to stock my vendors 1-2 times a week and stock them well, but I tryed that and lost money.

In the past I was running several well stocked vendors but then Wilki changed the vendor taxes some years ago and I gave up.

12. enigma eb2

enigma eb2 Sage
    Stratics Veteran

I respectfully disagree to most of what has been posted. I do not think its a decline in siege at all, in fact I have seen so many new people on the shard it has been great. And I do not think it is the 3x the cost issues. I think it comes down to 2 things, how much effort it takes to keep a vendor stocked and the lack of gold available since the BOS changes. I am totally fine if you disagree with the later part of my opinion but MUCH fewer people are farming monsters for gold these days and any PK will agree with me. It almost feels like the amount of gold on the shard is static and it is just exchanging hands over and over and no new gold is being put back into service when people are leaving. But then this is only my 2 cents.

13. nightstalker22

nightstalker22 Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

After reading this thread, I see many people complaining about vendor costs.

One of the solutions I have been working with for the past two years is the price.

You are charged 9 gp per 500 gold listed price.

The solution is to charge only 499 gold pieces. You can place 125 items on a vendor without ever incurring more than the 180 gold per day base charge.

Instead of selling packs of 10 gate travel for 1,000 gold ( which is an 18gp per day charge )
    Sell them in groups of 5 for 499gp ( you lose 2 gp when they sell, but save 18gp per day ).

All of my items are 499, 999, 1499, 1999, etc... getting that one extra gp will cost you TONS in the long run.

for Example: Any item in 10 packs that sell for 2k. Thats a 36 gold per day fee, and you have 10 of them stocked, making the charges 360 per day, plus the base 180 totalling 540 gp per day. In one week, you'll pay 3780 gold in fees, but only because of poor planning.

Breaking them into groups of 5 , and selling them for 999 a set, you will only pay 2520 a week in fees, for the same amount stocked on vendor. You saved 1260 for the week on one vendor, now suppose you're saving that much on 15 of your vendors, thats 18,900 Gold in savings per week!

More money in your pockets for me to loot and steal! You can thank me now, I'll thank thee later!

14. Petra Fyde

How very interesting and helpful! I'm not much good at math and never bothered to work it out.

My shop is doing quite nicely, it's not meant to be a goldmine, just a 'nice little earner' and a service to the community.

15. FrejaSP

Thanks alot for that info, I will try it. I think I can sell potions in stack of 5 for 499 or less instead of kegs for 8-9k.

Also selling armor pieces instead of whole suits may works.

This may help me make me draw more customers if I have a basis stock of items.

16. Mr X

Mr X Guest

Everything you mentioned is sold at Leaf's in umbra. As for less players it always slows down around the holidays as people are busy. But yes I have seen an influx of new players the last few months even though there are not as many people playing right now due to the holidays.