1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

(OT) Do you remember when?

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by AEowynSP, Mar 1, 2011.

1. AEowynSP

AEowynSP Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

This is a a major blast from the past. Did you ever have to load your games with a casset tape? I had the original atari and I got the casset expansion thingy and a game for x mass one year, Dragonstomper I was so thrilled.

[YOUTUBE]<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/k41em4dr30g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/YOUTUBE]

2. AEowynSP

AEowynSP Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

3. Raptor85

Raptor85 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

LOAD "*"
    PRESS PLAY ON TAPE
    OK
    READY

Not on tape drive but I have Ultima on the C64 around here somewhere.

4. Lorddog

Lorddog Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

[YOUTUBE]k41em4dr30g[/YOUTUBE]

just put the k41em4dr30g inside the tags

5. Spree

Spree Babbling Loonie

any one doing shooters on x box live 360 im go by Turfmower game im playing now is red dead redemption.

6. Kas Althume

Kas Althume Crazed Zealot

I had lots of games on a c64 with a datasette. The datasette made the same noises which the "evil terminatoress" in terminator3 does when she first takes over a police car and talks to the police computer. Later on i got an external floppy drive. I believe for the floppy the command was "load "gamename,8,1"The 8 in that command was the handle for the floppy drive iirc.

7. Blind Otto

Blind Otto Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Sinclair ZX81 - later a ZX Spectrum. I think it went by a different name in the USA, but can't remember what. That squishy-keyed nightmare's what got me into programming in the first place.
    Ah, fond memories of things like Manic Miner, The Hobbit (although The Boggit was funnier), and horrible squeaking noises that lasted about 5 minutes while each game loaded... *sigh*

Oh, and Poke 35899,0 gave you infinite lives in Jet Set Willy. Further proof for anyone who was still on the fence about me needing a good psychiatrist.

8. AEowynSP

AEowynSP Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Holy cow I do vaugly remember jet set willy.

9. Hoffs

Hoffs Gilfane Keeper of the Hall
    Stratics Veteran Gilfane

Never had an Atari or console game. But my first computer was an 8k Commodore Pet which required loading via tape. I fondly remember such games as Rhino, Atlantic Patrol, El Presidente and Civil War. Later on we had the 32k version which had a decent keyboard and was able to run the fabulous Temple of Apshai. I bitterly regret that we didn't keep the machines for posterity.

A couple of years later we got an Apple II which had these magical things called floppy disks, back when they really were floppy. I still have that, fortunately.

10. AEowynSP

AEowynSP Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Oh my goodness Hoffs still has a floppy one!:blushing:

Oh and Spree GTFO if it isn't PS, Dreamcast, N64 or before it dosn't belong in this thread.
    *huggles Spree*

11. Pyrite_DTA

Pyrite_DTA Guest

We used cassettes to save games on our TI-44A. My oldest son was four (1982) when he talked me into buying Tunnels of Doom for it.

He and his younger brother learned to read and type in order to be able to play what I believe to be one of the first roleplaying games ever. Nothing like having your kids' first vocabulary words to be "sword, dagger, hand axe, rogue, warrior" , etc. They also learned to dungeon crawl with maps, how to buy equipment, decide on class, solve puzzles, and fight as they made their way to save the king.

Great pre-school educational stuff!

This was really an amazing game.

Life has never been the same, since.
    (we all still play our games)

12. QueenZen

QueenZen Always Present

Lesse...we still have our original Texas Instruments, in the house, and games. No clue if they work anymore, cuz I forgot 'how to' !

We still have original Sega 2 of em, and lots of all those games. They both still work. The kids loved Sonic The Hedgehog & other games. I was Zoo Tycoon & Theme Park on Sega.

I still AM a Zoo tycoon, but on my Nintendo DS.

I also still have [8 track music tapes], [cassettes for music], VCR movies...and some of my parents 78 records that are 1930s^1940s era, and albumns and records from the 60's-80s, pre CDs, for movie & musical blasts from the past.

Unfortunatly a very aged cassette tape, of my kids speaking their very first words in life, has unthreaded, melted, warped up, & bit the dust ! :*(

Dunno if TI or original Sega systems and games qualify, but those is the oldest games/systems, we ever had/have here. It's all stuck in one of the kids' closets, STILL, along with ancient board games, rubics cubes, UNO cards, we all used to play. :)

Heck I still OWN my set of Jacks/pickup sticks. ! I WTFPWNd at those too, as a kid & I STILL DO ! LOL

13. QueenZen

QueenZen Always Present

HAHA Wanna blast from the past ??

We still have 3 full coffee cans of marbles my husband played with as a kid....cats eyes, puries, steelies, and the rest ! lol Ya know back in the day when kids got outside, to play !!