1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone use fertile dirt?

Discussion in 'UO Botany and Nutrition' started by Guest, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I cant remember the benefit to using fertile dirt, such as that found from green thorns and earth elementals...

I know there was a reason for it. Didn't see it in the FAQ.

TIA

2. Dalamos

Dalamos Guest

From what I know it give you a shot at your plant skipping a stage of growth.

So pretty much there is a chance that your plant can get two days growth in just one day. I don't believe the chance is very high though.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Yeah, you're correct.
    The chance is about 10% which seems quite low considering how much dirt you need.

I don't bother with it if I'm just growing plants to day nine and setting them to decorative.
    If I'm growing plants for their 8 seeds that they give, i'll sometimes use fertile dirt, especially for orange petal producing plants which are always high in demand. The only other time I'll use it is if I have an emergency order and the customer needs them as soon as possible.

4. Zynia

Zynia Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

I use fertile dirt when I'm cross pollinating to get a specific type of plant. Like when I started the orange petal plants, I used it from the seeds I got off boglings up until after this batch which will be dull orange pampa's grass plants. I'll stop using it after I cross pollinate those and replant the Bright Orange Pampas Grass seeds.

My friend was kind enough to spare 10,000 of his fertile dirt to get me there. I still have loads left lol.

5. Dalamos

Dalamos Guest

10,000 of the dirt?

Thats a lot of dead Earth elements for sure!

With the 10th items dropping, maybe now is a good time to start my own dirt farm. Doubt it will matter though, I've yet to get a drop yet, ugh!

6. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

He has upwards of 120,000 dirt.

[/ QUOTE ]

[​IMG]

7. Zynia

Zynia Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Hehe, just got 60k more!
    [​IMG]

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Thats some serious dedication to killing the swamp vine things, easier to harvest the earth from elems since theres no wait time on them [​IMG]

Rey~

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Wow, forgot I made this post...

I get fertile dirt from thorns as well, they produce a boatload of dirt [​IMG]

10. Guest

Guest Guest

New question.

Does it matter if plants are "locked down" in a container in your house, or "secured" in a container in your house?

i.e. will they grow one way and growth is suspended the other? How does this work?

11. Guest

Guest Guest

They grow if locked down, if stored in a secure container they "hibernate" and don't grow until removed for a full day. This is good for vacations that come up in the middle of a harvest, or for storing seeds since they don't stack. Instead of taking the 8 seeds out of the plant and taking 8 storages spots, just put the plant in a container and ya have 8 seeds taking 1 storage [​IMG]

Rey~

12. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

They grow if locked down, if stored in a secure container they "hibernate" and don't grow until removed for a full day. This is good for vacations that come up in the middle of a harvest, or for storing seeds since they don't stack. Instead of taking the 8 seeds out of the plant and taking 8 storages spots, just put the plant in a container and ya have 8 seeds taking 1 storage [​IMG]

Rey~

[/ QUOTE ]

Doh. I should have thought of this. I pulled my latest batch of seeds out of a secure in my house stored in this exact manner, I should have known secures keeps them hibernated. However, I have always grown on my floor (last growing cycle I completed was 2 years ago) so I didn't know if locking them down in pouches, as I'm trying this time (floorspace is minimal this time around) would trigger the cycle.

Thanks for quick replies!

13. Hyssmaye

Hyssmaye Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

According to the FAQ they won't grow if they're locked down inside a container...

14. Avalonia

Avalonia Guest

<blockquote><hr>

10,000 of the dirt?

Thats a lot of dead Earth elements for sure!

With the 10th items dropping, maybe now is a good time to start my own dirt farm. Doubt it will matter though, I've yet to get a drop yet, ugh!

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are farming for fertile dirt...I believe that the best source for it is still ant lions (which also give ore).

15. Chameleon

Chameleon Guest

I used up all my fertile dirt but dun see any difference between using them and the normal dirt.