1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

    In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

    Dismiss Notice

Does magic field have an "answer"?

Discussion in 'UO Players Corner' started by Nalif, Feb 24, 2009.

  1. Nalif

    Nalif Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2006
    Messages:
    131
    Likes Received:
    0
    Keep in mind I'm a new player, so there are a lot of things I don't know about this game. That being so, I'm fairly certain my template is not suited for PVP:

    Anatomy: 102.9
    Parrying: 92.6
    Swordsmanship: 100
    Tactics: 101
    Healing: 93.7
    Chivalry: 88.4
    Resisting spells: 100.9

    Strength: 125
    Dex: 70
    Int: 35

    I've only spent a few hours in fel, mostly in dungons. In those few hours, however, I've noticed that in each one there are likely to be a small group of friends, with 2-3 in the lower levels killing the higher level mobs, and 2ish hiding in the upper levels. Every time I was discovered in a dungeon, I booked it fast ( I was alone, whereas they always had 2-3 ), and every time I was way ahead of them. This is where I discovered they had people hiding in the upper floor, in just such a case as this. Right as I thought I was going to escape, I would always discover this blue sparkly wall in front of the door blocking the way. I quickly learned this was "magic field". And that it lasts 35 seconds. Wow.

    Is there anything I can use against this? If I were to get magic resistance up to 120, do I have a chance of passing through it? Is there a way I can dispel it? Or does it pretty much mean I can't go into dungeons without 3-4 friends? Because I have no friends -_-

    If there's no answer to it, 35 seconds seems like a really, really long time for something like that. I'd think it more reasonable at 10 seconds. Even that wouldn't really help, though, because as I've noticed, they like throwing up three of them in succession just to make sure.
     
  2. Basara

    Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2003
    Messages:
    8,461
    Likes Received:
    583
    There's a mage spell called "Dispel Field" that will drop a section of it. It's a fifth level spell.

    IF your character is human, it will have the Jack of All Trades attribute. This means it has an effective 20 points in all skills not taken.

    If you take scrolls of Dispel Field with you, you should have a 25% chance of casting the spell from scroll, if Human.
     
  3. Nalif

    Nalif Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2006
    Messages:
    131
    Likes Received:
    0
    Cool! Still, at a 25% chance, it pretty much means magery is a must-have for serious PVP. I guess I'll start working on that.

    Also, magic field is cast perpendicular to the caster. Does dispel field work in the opposite? That is, does dispel field dispel in a line parallel to the caster? Or does it just dispel a single tile? If it's just a single tile, I'm not sure how great that would be. In all cases where this happened to me, players tossed up a line of magic walls 2-3 deep :-\
     
  4. Thrakkar

    Thrakkar Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2004
    Messages:
    1,357
    Likes Received:
    342
    As far as I remember, dispel field works just for one tile. But there's a seventh circle spell "Mass Dispel". This one should dispel more than one tile.
     
  5. Nalif

    Nalif Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2006
    Messages:
    131
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yeah, I just looked it up on uoguide.com - just a single tile.
    Looking this one up on uoguide.com,

    http://www.uoguide.com/Mass_Dispel

    It says it only does summoned creatures. Has this been changed? If so, that'd be great.
     
  6. Thrakkar

    Thrakkar Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2004
    Messages:
    1,357
    Likes Received:
    342
    Honestly, I think I was wrong and the guide is right. Haven't played for ages. I just remembered the name of the spell.

    IMHO the easiest solution is to find some friends. On the other hand, I don't know how hard/easy it is, to find new friends or a guild nowadays...
     
  7. Nalif

    Nalif Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2006
    Messages:
    131
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yeah, it sounds like it. That just doesn't feel right, though. I accept that this game revolves around character templates, and that some templates will obviously be better suited to PVP than others, and I accept that there will always be people who PVP in groups. I can even accept that they have their buddies posted outside/near the exit of the dungeon to try and trap me, that's part of the game, and it doesn't bother me at all. It adds to the thrill of PVP.

    It just doesn't feel right to have near 0% chance of escaping because of a single spell. Even if I change my template to include magery, so I can dispel fields, I can only dispel a single tile? If it were a 1vs1, that would be great. Magic field costs 40 mana to drop, so if he drops two walls, he's going to be hurting anyways, not to mention it takes a few seconds for him to cast anyways. If it's 2+ people though, 40 mana to drop a wall for each of them is nothing when it's only one person. To me it would make more sense if dispel field dispelled several tiles parallel the character ( not perpendicular like the field spells do. This would only break a single tile in a straight line through 2-3 walls ). Chances are, if there's already a wall blocking your way, the person(s) who put it up in the first place is going to be swinging at you anyways, making dispelling hard enough even if it weren't just a single tile dispelled. I might be complaining prematurely, because I haven't even tried dispel field to see how well it works, but from the sounds of it ( 1.5 second delay, one tile dispel ) it still sounds like suicide trying to cast it. Magic field just feels like too much of an "I win, you're going to die." button to me.

    What I'm trying to say, is that I'd like it to at least have a chance to escape, even if I'm outnumbered. Someone's bound to reply to this thread and say "Go back to Trammel. Fel is about risk. Leave Fel alone." or some such, I'm sure. The thing is, if you already have people waiting at the exit for me, you already have the upper hand. If you have buddies at the exit, along with magic fields to block the way, you have the keys to the door, too. I donno, maybe I'm just too new to see the big PVP picture, but this feels wrong to me. I'd like to come to fel to PVP, but so far, this is all I've run into. A group of people chasing after me with their buddies blocking the exit so I can run around for 5 seconds while I get killed by four people.
     
  8. Bara

    Bara Guest


    Well, I think it's not so much that a single spell is allowing them to win; it's tactics and superior numbers. In that particular scanerio, a mage would be kinda screwed too. While the mage is casting the disspell; one of the two hidden people could cast paralize on you, while the other cast's another wall; all the while, giving the other three a chance to catch up and make it an imposible situation. Those types of numbers, combined with teamwork are hard to overcome for just about anyone.

    As far as pvp viability goes, there are many pure 'dexers', and it's a viable setup. Hell, archers archers are notorious right now. You're looking fine.

    I have an idea for a tactic for you. You can carry some invis pots, and chug one while running from the larger group. After you're invisible, use chilvary to sacred journey out.



    On a side note; UO is one of those games that is really enriched by friends. If you're a devoted, lone wolf guy, that's cool. But I'm sure that you'll find people to hang with eventually, if you want.
     
  9. Basara

    Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2003
    Messages:
    8,461
    Likes Received:
    583
    Can't remember if you can or not, but if it is possible to teleport in Fel dungeons, humans have a 75% chance of casting teleport from scroll, 25% normally.
     
  10. Nalif

    Nalif Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2006
    Messages:
    131
    Likes Received:
    0
    That sounds great! I have a question though; can you recall out of a dungeon while in Fel? I seem to remember not. I remember either you can't recall in or you can't recall out, but I'm not sure which one. Maybe both?

    Also, I'm assuming invisibility works like the hide skill, in that you can't move around while invisible unless you have the stealth skill? Does casting sacred journey make you become visible?

    It's not so much I'm a lone wolf as it is the lack of people I come across. Sure, I see plenty of people in Luna, but those guys are just as likely to talk to me as they are to answer a question I have. More often than not, I find I'm ignored. Sometimes I find someone nice though. One time, this guy gave me a Soul Seeker :-D Hopefully I'll find some cool people to hang out with soon. I'm on the GL shard, which is supposedly one of the higher population ones, so I'm sure it'll happen sooner or later. I really like the game so far, so I'm hoping SA will bring lots of people for me to play with!

    I don't understand. So if, as a human, I try to cast recall from my mage book with 0 magery ( which means I would be treated as having 20 skill points in magery due to the jack of all trades racial ), I would have a 25% chance to succeed? But if I were to cast it from a scroll, I would have a 75% chance to succeed? Why is this? Do spells cast from scrolls require less skill?
     
  11. Basara

    Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2003
    Messages:
    8,461
    Likes Received:
    583
    Spells cast from scroll are treated as 2 levels lower, in terms of difficulty. They still use their normal amounts of mana, however.
     
  12. Zodiac19

    Zodiac19 Guest


    You sir are correct you can not recall or sacred journey in or out of a Fel dungeon.
     
  13. Dragonchilde

    Dragonchilde Guest

    Try hanging out in Haven; people there are generally more friendly. they're newbie-minded, being that it's Haven. I've found not one, but two new guilds this way, and made plenty of friends while standing around working skills. People in Luna tend to have one thing ontheir mind; either buying or selling, or... whatever the hell it is they're doing silently. Burning off counts, I guess. It can be social, but honestly, it's never really been that great for me. I hang out in Haven a LOT, and it's been great.
     
  14. Risso

    Risso Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

    Joined:
    May 15, 2008
    Messages:
    2,581
    Likes Received:
    102
    This. If you find your way blocked by energy fields on a non-mage character, cast teleport from a scroll and hop right over it! If you are a warrior though remember to re-equip your weapon/shield afterwards if they are not spell channelling;)
     
  15. Mr.Fernandes

    Mr.Fernandes Guest

    Quoted for Truth.