1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Dominus Column: A Note to the Vocal Minority

Discussion in 'GW2 General Discussions' started by Zosimus, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Zosimus

Zosimus Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

I found this article on MMORPG this morning while reading through the various sites I go to. It's a great read and I hope you enjoy it also. It's by Sanyo Weathers and she makes some great points.

I have said vocally many times us posters are the vocal minority. I just use to view forums and sites and not actively participate in discussions because I was looking for updates or information on something in the game. I was one of those "guests" a member could see on a site just browsing away. I look back at those days while typing this and how simple those days were just pop in find my answer and go back to playing the game.

One day that all changed for me. I wanted to be part of the group with my guild mates and allies that were posting. They bragged about posts, screen shots, and topics that were up. It was in all good fun at first when I started posting and being the 'newb' on the boards.
    Like all others I eventually got sucked into the game hardcore and watched the developers posts more and more. Reading patch notes was not my thing before I became a poster. I would read the highlights saying "you get this reward for doing this quest, or killing 20 of these." I would hurry back into the game with all my new found information and play the game.

Now all of a sudden I am reading every nook and cranny of the patch notes. Dissecting each word like I was back in high school biology. Making sure nothing was there to nerf my character or to see what was hidden that I may get that little extra advantage on in PvP or PvE. I became the patch note monster and if the developers didn’t get it right to satisfy me then *bam* I'm posting how they screwed up this or that.

Sometimes the sites and forums became the game to me then the actual game because I was spending so much time on the boards. The game was to catch which developer was listening to the guy that knew nothing that was ruining 'my game.' How could this guy that I thought knew nothing about the game could be listened to and the developer wouldn't give my post the time of day? Did I feel betrayal? Why are they cheating with "Mr. Post Count" number 4 and doing his idea and I been here with 500 posts?

Those questions swirled in my mind until one day it hit me. I realized that majority of my guild mates would only ask the tiny few of us that actually participated with such discussions what was going on with this quest and that. They didn’t care if the spell was changed by .0008% they just wanted to know how to do that quest. These same majority didn't care if that spell was nerfed because they didn't use it and had no use for it.

In the end I realized the monster I had become. What game was I truly playing? The game I bought to play or was I waiting for the developers to screw it up so I could pounce for the 'ultimate phat lewt of awesomeness' of being right. When the answer came to me which was the latter, I realized I wasted my time playing a game I wont ever win.

Developers come and go, games change, new games come along, but arguing against a multi-billion dollar company is never a win win situation. It actually disrupts the community, developers don’t want to discuss, and makes mods goes crazy every day.

So at one time I was the silent majority that played the game. Then I joined the vocal minority to play a game that was not the game I bought.

Now, I'm just one of those posters that want to post the best possible information out there. Will I always be happy what a developer does to my game I play? Probably not but I learned to discuss and move along than just argue and bash and never let it go. Gaming has been so much better ever since.

Guild wars 2 Stratics Staff want's to thank MMORPG and columnist Sanya Weathers for putting up this great article.
    Please enjoy and the link is below.

Dominus (DO) Column: Developer Perspectives - A Note to the Vocal Minority at MMORPG.com

For the click link impaired:

Dominus Column: A Note to the Vocal Minority

We all know who they are...heck, some of us might -be- these guys. You know the ones we mean: The passionate followers of any game. In today's Developer Perspectives, we take a look at the 'vocal minority'. See what you think and then weigh in with your ideas in the comments.

By Sanya Weathers on February 17, 2012

2. Zosimus

Zosimus Grand Inquisitor

Posted on Guild Wars 2 Stratics so come by check out the portal, posts, GW2 art, and the Guild Spotlight!

3. AirmidCecht

AirmidCecht twitch.tv/airmid

Your portal is awesome :D

4. Taylor

Taylor Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
    Professional VIP Stratics Veteran Supporter Alumni Campaign Benefactor Alumni

Great article. Timely, too. Although, I do object to the overuse of lolcats. :p