1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Dragons too powerful

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Mystic_Of_Cats, Feb 25, 2008.

1. So after reading a lot of the posts here, I finally went out to try my hand at Dragons. It didn't last long.

Now I'm all for making Dragons more powerful and actually worth hunting again, but this is just stupid. It seems like the devs didn't consider dexers in their decision and were thinking only of mages. I was one hit killed in an all 70's suit? Actually, I believe it was multiple hits within a single second.

There is simply no way to even get close to these things without getting stomped on. You need a mage or bard to even take them on anymore.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

It's not stupid.... it's as it should be. Dexers should not be able to Waltz up to a dragon and take it out 1,2,3..... EVER. A dragon should be extreamely fierce and difficult not only to tame and control but to kill...... they are DRAGONS... Not little aligators.

3. jelake

jelake Guest

They must be what with all the character corpses strewn about the central cave of Destard lately. [​IMG] It was inevitable, in my opinion, that they would eventually beef up the dragons. I used to go in there with my archer and farm them without any problems. Easy money and fame no more.

4. the change is good, but allowing them to be tamed is baaaaaaaaaaaddddd

I especially feel bad for those mofos on siege

5. Kurgan

Kurgan Guest

I was out training my new dragon, and noticed that the most damage it did in a 1 hit combo was 166 points..
    Man I love my new dragon...

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Agreed.

What's wrong with Dragons being powerful enough that you actually need a group to hunt them? Not all the dragons and wyrms are this way, there are still regular dragons. And don't forget Drakes! Sorry...shameless plug...I <3 Drakes, hehe.

I think it's about time Dragons get some respect! =)

7. Zalan

Zalan Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Almost every other MMO requires a group of adventures to take out a dragon.

8. UncleSham

UncleSham Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

well with around 2k hit points , what do you expect ? (you betta recognise)

hehe

i dont think they were meant to be tanked solo.

seriously tho . did you have parry ? a bunch of defense chance ?

dammit man now i gotta go try it

9. Are there paragon Greater Dragons?

10. Guest

Guest Guest

And you can usually send a melee character into melee range without them getting insta-killed as well (in order to keep the squishies alive)

11. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

And almost every other MMO sucks so what was your point?

God am I sick of hearing "almost every other MMO..." if you compare UO to other games the very first and most important thing you should see is that UO is DIFFERENT from all the other cookie cutter MMOs on the market and that is the only reason many even play it.

12. UncleSham

UncleSham Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

yes there are paragon supers . it took 2 of us vetting a trained super to kill it .. and even then it took like 20 minuits

it had over 3k gold tho =)

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Dexers should not be able to Waltz up to a dragon and take it out 1,2,3..... EVER.

Agreed, however they SHOULD at least be able to walk up to it and hold it off while support (archer, mage, etc) help take it down without dying in less than a fraction of a second as well.

Shouldn't a tank melee character be able to... I don't know... tank a creature?

14. Zalan

Zalan Babbling Loonie

Cry me a River then....

Point is a Dragon is meant to be tuff &amp; Challenge. Not something that you can run up &amp; kill in 3 to 4 strikes of a blade.

15. Zalan

Zalan Babbling Loonie

The right Warrior Template can run in, &amp; tank one. Even easier if someone else can cross heal the warrior.

16. jelake

jelake Guest

What kind of warrior template could tank one if they can hit for over 100 against a 70's suit?

17. MadTexan

MadTexan Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

<blockquote><hr>

Are there paragon Greater Dragons?

[/ QUOTE ]Yep, 8000 HP worth and 20% increase accross the boards on skills.

18. TheGwy

TheGwy Guest

The bew dragons are NOT too powerfull, theyre just rights, dragon should NOT be possible to be sioloed, they're DRAGONS, I love how they are now, remnds me of the old days of UO when it was IMPOSSIBLE to solo a Dragon or an Ogre Lord, anybody that says otherwise was a liar. Dragons are like Lions, they're the Kings, they're the Mighty Creatures ralked about in fairytales, these Big beats that Kill the Mighteous of Warriors and that's how they need to be. The only thibg silly about Dragons now, is they give Normal leather.

Anf for all that say taming them is too hard, try making a tamer/tailor then let me know about it, tame them old skool way, none of that peacing crap

19. Guest

Guest Guest

It wasn't impossible to Solo a Dragon or OL back before AoS, you just had to have good armor, a good wep, and do the good old "Jousting" technique, also called "Hit and Run" or "Driveby".

Only thing i can even think of that could of been considered impossible Pre-AoS was the Phoenix. The largest guild on Napa at the time, Shadowstorm (S/S), did a Phoenix hunt with a several partys full of people and several tamers with Dragons. There was dead bodies and dead Dragons everywhere, the Phoenix was just ripping through people in full GM Platemail and tearing apart the Dragons (This was also before Bonding).

20. Acutally, I think they're harder on a mage than a dexer [​IMG]

Dexers are easily the most powerful thing in UO today.

21. Guest

Guest Guest

Yes, there are Paragon Great Wyrms. Considering normal Great Wyrms can have up to 2,000 Health when wild (Although extremely rare), and Paragons have 5x the Health, a Paragon Great Wyrm can have a max of 10,000 Health.

I got a Paragon Great Wyrm to spawn in Ilsh the other day, it had 6600s Health and about 155.0 Wrest. I decided to try my Fully Trained Hiryu against it considering my Fully Trained Hiryu rips apart normal Paragon Dragons and has tanked a Blackrock Infected Great Wyrm before....bad idea. The Paragon Great Wyrm was doing 101 Damage with each Claw attack to a Hiryu with 65% Physical Resist. I'm pretty sure it was it's claw attack, and not Firebreath, as it was hitting that hard often. Needless to say, i had to run away to rez my Hiryu.

22. Guest

Guest Guest

Tank a Creature fine....... NOT a Dragon...... Dragons are the Gods of monsters IMO..... they should be Extreamly difficult... all round... I love this.... And by the way........ My Archer was quite able to take one on..... Not too much problem... had to run off and heal a time or two but really wasn't that bad... maybe your dexer needs.... Um Dex. Healing .... to learn to use pots.... the use of orange pettals...... rose of Trinny pettals...... stuff of that nature.... and my archer isn't even all 70's. Heck I was taming them in a suit with 34 or less Physical resist. Granted I died quite a bit..... but .... I had a blast...

23. Guest

Guest Guest

24. Guest

Guest Guest

Great article.

Hands up. I LOLed. [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Go on! Click'em!

25. Sneaky Que

Sneaky Que Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

RTLFC

I reckon the new dragons are good. Making them tame-able was probably a bad idea... but anyways.

Dragons should be UBER, and scary and something that should take some effort to bring down, like they used to [​IMG]

26. Hunters' Moon

Hunters' Moon Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

<blockquote><hr>

*pimps the Pacific article* Here, There Be Super Dragons

[/ QUOTE ] Tamer says-"I can protect you from the dangers of this world" then begins to bleed profusely and dies [​IMG]. But what was that one says? Something about being a legendary bard and only getting off 1 peace in 10? [​IMG]

27. Al Thorin

Al Thorin Guest

<blockquote><hr>

Shouldn't a tank melee character be able to... I don't know... tank a creature?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Tanking should only be one type of tactic, that works in certain situations. Otherwise, eveything is based off 'tanking' while killing it with little risk.
    Sometimes tanking is nothing more than throwing bodies in front of something.

I think many dexers need to learn to dance.

Heck, I remember hunting Balrons with my guild years and years ago, 5-8 people, and a mistep would result in a sudden surge in bodies lying around, everywhere.

We taught our members to dance, all classes had to learn, wether you were a mage or a dexer, you had to learn how to do damage, and avoid (not tank) damage.

A dexer should be able to take on a super dragon, they just expect to be able to walk upto it, whack it a couple times then expect to have time to back off.

Circle your prey, let them dump. Then play the good old lunge game. Run in for a strike, either back off, or risk waiting, but never -ever- stand there.

28. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Are there paragon Greater Dragons?

[/ QUOTE ]Yep, 8000 HP worth and 20% increase accross the boards on skills.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not all that i saw had 8k hp.
    I killed a few (with my new dragon) that had about 5k+hp

29. Guest

Guest Guest

IMO, Dragons should not be a solo hunt.

They should be the most powerful critterr in UO, and take a group to kill.

30. <blockquote><hr>

Agreed.

What's wrong with Dragons being powerful enough that you actually need a group to hunt them? Not all the dragons and wyrms are this way, there are still regular dragons. And don't forget Drakes! Sorry...shameless plug...I &lt;3 Drakes, hehe.

I think it's about time Dragons get some respect! =)

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. i think people ar shcoked that a dragon can kill them. But it is how it should have always been : going to hunt dragons must be a dangerous activity.

On the ability to tame them, people should now that upon taming they lose skills and have their HP halved. A big part of the damage they inflict when they are wild come from they firebreath and the amount of damage depends on their hitpoints. This means that when tamed the firebreath damage is halved too.

31. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

It's not stupid.... it's as it should be. Dexers should not be able to Waltz up to a dragon and take it out 1,2,3..... EVER. A dragon should be extreamely fierce and difficult not only to tame and control but to kill...... they are DRAGONS... Not little aligators.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree they are mighty magestical dragons........however as my guildies got taken out 1 2 3 (people that is) it was a bit hard not to scream they are too strong *smiles*

I would love to see added dragon colours *smiles* I feel the current ones just do not do these magestical creatures justice.

As for the taming I am yet to try it on a new one.....so will be waiting till I have some back up.

32. Guest

Guest Guest

Oh my, another thread complaining about greater dragons....

I remember guild hunts to destard, where we needed to work together, x-heal and it was a tough hunt. That is how dragon hunting should be.

I can't even guess how many times I've seen a dexer take down the standard dragon in &lt;5 hits. Sorry, but they're dragons, not wolves. You're not supposed to safely stand by them whacking at the legs with a sword.

Why not embrace the chance of a real hair-raising hunt with a few buddies and team up to kill a greater? Or just stick to hunting the normal dragons or hunt elsewhere. It's not as if a dexer can only hunt in Destard, or that the normal dragons no longer spawn [​IMG]

In fire temple it's easy to pull out the greater draggy and go back in to work on the normals, problem solved.

Wenchy

33. Some of the posts on this thread go to show the absolute bias and stupidity some players seem to have.

My original argument was not to solo dragons. I said I am all for the beefing up of them. However, to not even have the chance to fight them unless you're a mage, bard, or archer is stupid. Yes, dexers should take a good amount of damage; it's why we wear armor. However, to be in a kickass suit and still get your ass handed to you in one hit is just plain dumb.

And as someone else posted, if you're not meant to take these creatures out without a group, why the hell are we able to tame them? Tamers shouldn't have control over greater dragons. But I'm sure the majority here will disagree because you all luffel your little tamers and God forbid you not be given everything. :|

34. Guest

Guest Guest

Personally I'd have preferred if our original pet dragons, once mighty, were buffed to better stand up alongside ugly mutt cu sidhe and the like. EA chose a different path which we adapted to.

These dragons once tamed drop in stats and skills. It is quite likely (if not inevitable) that they will be tweaked now that they've been on production shards for more testing. But in the meantime I could probably list weapons and arties that I think other players shouldn't be able to equip because of their power *shrugs* I don't see that kind of discussion is productive.

As a tamer, I know the damage others have done around me and my pets. I don't want to be top of the pack at all, I'm an animal lover, not a power crazed nut. If you are top of the pack you get whined about :p But realistically, these dragons do not make a tamer a god. If EA believed that to be the case, I don't doubt for a second that a balance will come. I just hope there isn't a knee-jerk nerf like the reptalon got, while the cu sidhe was left with that stupid self healing rubbish.

Wenchy

35. RTLFC

In Stratics fanboy (and developer) fantasy-land: Oh my, dragons should be powerful... because they're dragons! Wouldn't it just be a hair-raising adventure, you and your friends going to slay a mighty dragon? Dragons were powerful in the movies, and in other games, and in UO like a million years ago, so let's just buff them up! Oh what a lovely time shall be had by all!

In reality: omg dragons sux now, gonna go farm ice fiends instead. *Destard sits abandoned*

36. Guest

Guest Guest

That simply says to me, where did all the hardy warriors go to? Says a lot that UO has turned into a game where folks are often more inclined to complain about new challenges than roll up their sleeves and get stuck in.

Destard becomes a challenge and everyone runs for the hills lol.

Glad I'm not a damsel in distress in UO these days...

"Sorry, fair maiden, that dragon will take more than five hits of my sword, and I cannot brave such a formidable creature."

Wenchy

37. Guest

Guest Guest

Time ago you posted often destard is not a challange anymore its to easy.
    And in the fantasy Saga Dragons are powerful and not the wekest animal as before.
    Sure im hardcore pvp tamer i can now solo Balron paragon and can take out a pk.
    But on the otherhand they killed my greater dragon at yew gaet by just discoring him wtih another tamer and then wiht 3-4 player archer and mages.
    If you discord him he has only 50 physical resi and all other reis go down and he cant move or slow.So olso in pvp you can make him weak.
    If we get greater Wyrm wtih no bleed attack but with fear attack that means the oponent turns aroung and walk slowly back wtihout to fight for seconds and greater weyrms with magery 145(becasue they dont have firebreath),it would be great.

38. <blockquote><hr>

That simply says to me, where did all the hardy warriors go to? Says a lot that UO has turned into a game where folks are often more inclined to complain about new challenges than roll up their sleeves and get stuck in.

"Sorry, fair maiden, that dragon will take more than five hits of my sword, and I cannot brave such a formidable creature."

Wenchy

[/ QUOTE ]

[​IMG]
    next:
    swarms of roving pixies ...
    attracted by the glow of the gate ...
    some favor red
    some favor blue

too small to be seen by dragons ...

hehehehe

39. So do these dragons get more turn-in points to the zoo? Or are they even able to be turned in?

40. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

next:
    swarms of roving pixies ...
    attracted by the glow of the gate ...
    some favor red
    some favor blue

too small to be seen by dragons ...

hehehehe

[/ QUOTE ]

*snicker*

The fun of deciding to hunt harpies in the ilshy nest and realising too late that your char has very very negative karma [​IMG]

The fun of watching cu sidhe killers as they realise they killed 1 to many and all the paragon cu's have noticed [​IMG] I think it's particularly wicked that paragons notice first. You walk past the normals and think "it's cool" then the yellow one notices...

Wenchy

41. <blockquote><hr>

Wenchy

[/ QUOTE ]

My sword is always up for rescuing a fair maiden..... [​IMG] [​IMG]

42. Everyone who wants to kill something that takes more than 5 hits is doing doom/peerless/champs. Not dragons in Destard for a little bit of gold and some random crap items.

43. i think it should be posible to use honor so the tamer cant attack you [​IMG]

44. Guest

Guest Guest

Or put in destard for the new Dragons a new loot maybe new arties.

45. Guest

Guest Guest

*grins* well you might need to rescue a lot of maidens at this rate! [​IMG]

Wenchy

46. Zalan

Zalan Babbling Loonie

<blockquote><hr>

What kind of warrior template could tank one if they can hit for over 100 against a 70's suit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ye old Bushido/Paladin Vampire using an Excepetional Armored Swampy.

120 Bushido
    120 Weapon
    120 Parry
    39 Necro(items to get to 100 for VE)
    70 Chiv
    90 Heal
    90 Ana
    90 Tac

739 Total Skill Points easy to get with items.
    Of course you want maxed str, &amp; HP. As well as 45 DCI, Exc. Armored Swampy gives 20% Reduction to damage taken.

Life Leech on weapon to with use of CW, &amp; EoO. Plus vampire form one should get a lot of HP back.

Then there is evade which will give you God Mode for 8 seconds. Then wait 12 seconds after it wears off use it again. &amp; use of Jousting when not under the effects of Evade.

47. Stigmatas

Stigmatas Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

<blockquote><hr>

I think many dexers need to learn to dance.

[/ QUOTE ]

You win a cookie!

*cookie*

My dexxer can wtfpwn most anything with a little insight.

Don't bite off more than you can chew, and learn to dance. i.e. back off if you see too much red.

Joust

Or

Super Joust

Super jousting is what I call it when a melee'er runs practically off screen from whatever you were fighting, so it cannot target. Hard to do in Destard without other things locking on, but it is a dungeon :p

Dance dexxer dance!

I soloed paroxysmus on my dexxer. Can do super dragons :p

Right equipment, right template, right state of mind. And NO NERFING. I can do it, because I planned it that way. Not because I'm overpowered, or cheating, or using a gimplate.

Because I planned it that way.

Git r done!

48. Redxpanda

Redxpanda Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Well first lemme say i dont think the new dragons are too powerful considering how powerful warriors have gotten these days. Dragons were always meant to be extremely powerful and not meant to be killed in large numbers on a single trip. I think they should make all dragons spawn this way from now on.

What i do have a problem with is the spawn rate. Dragons are still spawning as if the dungeon is full of people taking down 10 every 2 mins. You cant even walk 5 steps without walking into the range of 3 dragons and theres no way to tell which is greater and which is not. It is extremely difficult to get a fair fight with any dragon unless you have someone leading (and prolly getting killed) keeping the others off you.

So too powerful....No.
    Too many of them spawning...Yes!

Of course, there should be some source for barbed leather because right now it is not worth the trouble. Perhaps we can get normal dragons in one place and supers somewhere else? Either way, things aren't working out as they are now.

49. Guest

Guest Guest

Someone on these boards had a sig that said "Mettle not in the affairs of dragons for thou art crunchy and go well with ketchup". i believe that time has come again. if you can't fight them on your own, get a group of friends to take them on, or stay out of their lair. I do.*makes chicken squaking noises*

50. MadTexan

MadTexan Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

<blockquote><hr>

Not all that i saw had 8k hp.
    I killed a few (with my new dragon) that had about 5k+hp

[/ QUOTE ]I did not say they all would, but the last one I ran into did.