1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

dry looting

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by God_Majere, Mar 10, 2009.

?

Dry looting hurt siege?

1. Dry looting drives players away...

58.0%
  2. Dry looting has no effect on player population.. .

42.0%
  1. God_Majere

God_Majere Guest

and the health of the shard's player base. discuss.

2. SoulWeaver

SoulWeaver King of The Bearded Ladies
    Stratics Veteran

I believe thats what brings alot of people to Siege. People that fight anyways. Not so much dry looting but being able to loot what they want from the persons corpse. All over prodo insurance this insurance that insure everything making pvp almost pointless. You gain nothing from the kill. Do I believe when a new person comes here and they get pk'd lose there stuff and need help starting over its upsetting for them of course... But I believe it increases are population in the long run when their character becomes more advanced. Im pretty sure thats why they have NEW. Most try to leave them be untill there character is ready to join the normal population.

3. God_Majere

God_Majere Guest

I understand taking some items, especially if it's an artie or something that just seems nice to loot... but when you take someones complete gear just to be spiteful, i think it is just wrong... Some players on Siege have it all already and it bugs me to have them dry looting other players. Now that looted player needs to WORK just get some decent gear again while the looted items are just horded away...

I can see dry looting someone if you don't like them.. Since being dry looted, in my opinion is like a personal attack. So why personally attack the whole shard? Dry looting is a form grief play in my eyes.

4. Lorddog

Lorddog Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

u really need a few more options as its hard to answer those 2 extremes

5. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

The view is too simplistic, too black and white. There are a myriad shades of grey out there you're not covering.

Dry looting a newcomer who has nothing, or very little, is very discouraging, since they have no means to replace what was taken. It will quite possibly drive them away.

On the other hand I was drylooted of my newbie starting clothes, before I even had chance to get 'proper' gear, but was too damn stubborn to give in so easily.

Dry looting my crafters is mildly annoying, but not something I'm going to fret over

Dry looting a player who's killed your character in the past is possibly justifiable revenge?

6. RichDC

RichDC Guest

Im new (and not many kills...im a thief) but my policy will always be, if it can be used to kill or used to defend and worth some money im going to take it (that includes stealing :p), for example i killed someone working a chars magery and although it wasnt a great one i took all his LRC because i needed it to train.

However, before i left i dropped the bag of regs i was given at the start so he wasnt left stranded(so long as he got them before it disappeared)

I will never leave a player without anything, i wouldnt want it done to me...so i wont do it back. Saying that as atm i am still building, i need everything!!!

7. TigerDyr

TigerDyr Guest

I think Petra stated it very nice....

8. Mook Chessy

Mook Chessy Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I look at looting like some people look at hunting, as long as you use what you take!

I use everything I loot!!

9. Goron

Goron Guest

I came to Siege because of looting.
    I think it doesn't affect the Siege population, but it does drive the trammy carebears away.

God I miss the days before EQ introduced people to the idea of being wussy...
    UO was so much more fun back then (and for the record, I was the victim, not the PK back in those days).

10. Hera - Siege

Hera - Siege Lore Master

QFT

I think Dry Looting in General is pointless, **UNLESS** everything is useful. Reags, nice armor pieces/etc. Loot 'em up! But taking shoes/etc just to take 'em is asinine.

When I PvP/Pk'd with Hera I rarely dry looted, basically just took what was useful to me and maybe a stack of pearl or mandrake so offensive casters were crippled.

But it's definitely not a yes/no answer. It can be justified and usually is in a consensual PvP situation, in a PK situation, prob'ly not.

And yes, Black Betty & NeCroB, I'm aware you believe I cut up your armor and retribution is on it's way. Please don't derail the thread, if you have anything to say just PM me.

11. Goron

Goron Guest

What I don't understand is how people can complain about someone taking their worthless shoes using the argument: "they are worthless, why take them?"...
    To that I say:
    "They are worthless, why care?"

And, for the record, I do take shoes most of the time. Also for the record, I never need to purchase, make, or ask for shoes. I use those that I take.
    Same goes for regs. I don't ever buy them. I loot them and stash them and take from my stash when I need them.

When I first came to Siege and was in NEW I wasn't a complete idiot. I only got PKed twice (i think) while in NEW (HaHa and Wyrm). I got looted, and I lost nothing. because as you say, shoes are worthless. My crappy armor was worthless too. I didn't wear anything of worth and thus I lost nothing of worth. After dying I just went back to the bank and put on new stuff. Easy as pie. I still have the first and only LRC suit I got from NEW- because that was 'worth something' at the time so I never put it at risk. Its really quite simple, if you are going to cry over losing something, don't carry it- that includes shoes.

12. SoulWeaver

SoulWeaver King of The Bearded Ladies
    Stratics Veteran

I only loot what I use & and what is valuable....

Other then that you would really have to **** me off for my to dry loot you.

13. Lord_Puffy

Lord_Puffy Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

It is a tool used to allow an enemy on the field a disadvantage, they have to go suit back up before re-entering the fight.

14. 4th3ist

4th3ist Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Uhm... Way OT. I noticed the clockwork orange in your sig, and was wondering if Alex De Large was you're old Stratics handle? Just curious :)

15. Goron

Goron Guest

Nope:)

16. QueenZen

QueenZen Always Present

I actually did not vote, cuz I would be somewhere in the grays inbetween areas.

For my own self EVEN if I had characters that could kill others here, I would see no point to dryloot them of everything. I am just not that knitpicky nor greedy nor feel I have some statement to make. :) To me the one left standing won so...no more is needed to be said or done.

In the field ...I would still go by how Py Lethius deemed looting for KSS members, ie take their regs or some few things that may put them back into the battle too fast...yet something important ya may hold it for them give it back to them ie fight with honor...after ya res em return their pricier item$. No need to be an ass out there.

As for drylooting I also look at it this way...aside from seeing no point to drylooting newer players here or anyone else...I also see it AS character building. One can look at those whom ALWAYS dryloot as buzzards fighting over whatever crap or valuables, are on any corpse...it is their nature to do so..while not my nature, it is a viable *play style* for some others.

I was drylooted by some few here, when I first came here. The most memorable was Magnolia getting ALL the granite furniture that I had slaved all day to mine up and make in all colors etc. for table chairs etc. to put on my vendors sight that drylooting often cuz of all lootings here that one was *the* one which most devastated me at that time. I almost felt like quitting cuz...I was so damn tired that day. I had mined for hours to get all that stuff made up.

INSTEAD...I just went back out there (after rl sleeping some) and...made it all all over again and I jokingly asked my *big brother* Castor and some others to just go KILL HER for me since I never would be able to do that. lol Castor did kill her one day when he seen her. and said that kill was for me.

I feel sometimes being drylooted just .....BUILDS character or our determination to remain here at times too. YA just get back up dust your self off and go do it all again get it remade or re earned again loose it again again..get it done again...ie it builds your determination to STICK AROUND and REMAIN or it makes us quit...that depends on our own perseverance I think. Easier to hang it up than not to...it in the end is up to US.

Yes it can be discouraging to any of us especially on a day we are rl tired or frustrated with the game...UO is like that...but if we really want to play or remain...why then would we let others do...in a game where the ruleset IS feluccan..deter us from ............remaining if we wish to remain despite all the odd, or lootings.. we WILL remain !

It is a game...win loose win loose keep loose keep loose ...personally myself see no reason TO dryloot...not my nature to do so...but it IS my nature to go back out there and make remake re earn what I HAD...and I will just ......MAKE MORE. lol

I think it is HOW we deal with any of it or anyone, that may make folks remain or flee from Siege. Yes it can be discouraging...I do not feel Siege is for the faint of heart though...ya have to not FEAR LOSING ITEMS/item dependant to play.. if ya do even if it is fancy pricey faction crap. perhaps then those folks DO THEN BELONG, blessed, insured and thus playing... ELSEWHERE. :)

What I do see as STUPID and possibly driving players old and new away is when folks just loot something or everything then...cut it up and trash it in front of all their victims, and never even USING it for their ownselves nor donating it to their own guildies nor NEW. It...just shows me they are being AN ASS or stupid, cuz not even using the items or thing nor selling it ... ie they probably are.. just being an ass repeatedly is more how I see it.

17. TheScoundrelRico

TheScoundrelRico Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Secret Society

No, his new handle is Prince Caspian over on the Uhall...la

18. TheScoundrelRico

TheScoundrelRico Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Secret Society

Bad poll. Poor selection of answers. Sure dry looting can drive some players away, with others, it will only drive their revenge and will stay. For others, they won't be bothered at all...la

19. OldAsTheHills

OldAsTheHills Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

I am not going to vote in this poll, but I will discuss the issue of looting as applied
    to the health of the shard's player base.
    First, there are two types of drylooting. One type is a reasonable tactic during
    play to deny resources to an attacker during a conflict game. The second type is
    a pointless tactic of punishing a non-attacker when no conflict occurs in the game.
    I am sure there are other grey versions between these two types of looting.
    This behavior of drylooting is looked upon as a reward by the looter. Clearly, such
    activities will continue and will continue to increase for the looter as long as that looter
    gets the positive reinforcement or gain from looting.
    The looted player sees the drylooting as a punishment. Now, some players may
    deserve such punishment but many are killed and drylooted just because they are
    there! Many pkers who did drylooting seem to think this will increase pvp activities
    from the Looted player. The Looted player will decease the activities which resulted
    into a encounter with the Looter.
    Many players deployed strategies of avoidance. Most still here use Stealth and Hiding skills.
    Some players determine to avoid the conflict know when the pker
    plays and where they play, thus they play at different times and places. Also, if this
    was not possible some form of risk management was done. Yes, those corpses on
    the ground had mostly junk. Junk: tools, minimal resources for play, may be food, etc.
    The looter should not expect much of anything from these players.
    Also, there is the matter of Interplay. Interplay is the reaction from player to player.
    The looter tends to expect some interplay from the looted. The looted will deny this.
    Why do anything with the looter?
    I have noted many activities declined on SP, but not entirely from drylooting.
    The last several years, the boredom has made its toll. Clearly those who are now
    coming to Siege Perilous are looking forward to all those activities which they want
    to enjoy. This includes dry looting. Sorry, if you plan to do this when no one is going
    to help you have fun.
    Not everyone is here on Siege Perilous does Pvping.
    It is interesting that those who left play because they were disappointed by the play
    may be coming back due to new players on this shard. Nothing has really changed
    in this game. Yes, you can dry loot them if you want. Wolves will continue to eat
    the new wolves. But, do not expect different outcomes from this behavior.
    I do like to see more activities of all types, but the looted are the most likely to
    disappear first!
    So, think first before you decide to dry loot someone. It may be the last time you
    get to!

*stares*
    Yahaxithonix

20. FrejaSP

FrejaSP Queen of The Outlaws
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

I had been in UO 11+ year, never played in Trammel. I had been drylooted very few times in this 11 years.

I had been looted, but mostly if I run around with to much nice stuff but I had also died and to my surprice, I got to keep everything or only lost a few nice pieces.

Sure there may be a few on the shard, who dryloot to grief, but I believe they are very few.

The funny thing is, some players always get drylooted but the same killer may go easy on someone else.

Guilds earn a reputation and so do the individual player.

If a player always rejoin the fight to help the one still alive, it may effect the enemies looting.

If a player try to loot, before the enemy is done with his body, it may get him rez killed and drylooted

If a player trash talk his killer, the killer will remember and it may hurt both him and his guild members in future fights.

Some players do have a habit of come back on second account when one char die, some may die with several chars vs same enemy and get them all looted of the loot will decay.

There are many ways a player or a guild can earn disrespect and it will always effect looting of their dead bodies.

On the other hand, some players and guilds do earn respect for their actions.

There is as many ways to earn easpect as to lose it and it will effect looting too.

I think all who get drylooted to offen need to look in a mirror and find out why they always get rez killed and drylooted.

21. CaesarCoW

CaesarCoW Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I personally think the skill gaining is what drives people away from siege more than them getting dry looted. However, if I were ever killed and dry looted as I was buying a ton of regs, that would definately motivated me to quit.

22. Goron

Goron Guest

I would argue that in your scenario you are not angry at being dry looted, you are angry at being looted of valuables. BIG DIFFERENCE...
    People that whine about being dry looted are whining about losing their shoes or scissors. Worthless things. Not valuables items like arties, good armor, or bulk resources. Any pk that doesn't loot stuff like that is silly in the head.

If you really would quit because of losing a valuable, then, Siege is not for you buddy... trust me on that one... that, or never carry anything of value outside of a private house.

23. archite666

archite666 Guest

I think there are a thousand other features besides dry looting that make Siege what it is.

I think dry looting, is all about griefing, hence why I dont do it.

Yeah arties, maybe potions if need be.

But everything? That just seems childish.

What makes Siege great is the ability to do terrible things but have your actions reflect otherwise, its much more of a sentiment. I mean NOT killing someone on prodo is easy because...well you cant! But not killing some random person when your red out in the wild, well that means something.

Bottem line, the main griefers have always tried to hide the reason for dry looting, by saying its tactical or it gives you an advantage, thats what we used to say when I was in JSV, but really it was griefing people, because they had been griefed, its a terrible cycle.

I'm not trying to call puffy out, or any of my old guild, its just I think the constant dry looting is lame, and all those people that say its what makes Siege are lame too.

I grow tired of this automatic assumption that giving people their stuff back automaticly makes this place Trammel. You can loot people and be decent about it.

I was recently looted and had all my stuff returned for fetching a small token for the guy, it was actually really fun, I had to go on a quest to get my stuff back.

Lol Evermore.

24. God_Majere

God_Majere Guest

thanks for the feedback guys...

25. T'Challa

T'Challa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Loot everything! Candles, potions, bottles, books, EVERYTHING!

Bwahahahaha!

/WyRm

26. Freelsy

Freelsy Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

dry looting - best damn thing in UO...something worth fighting for

27. Sunchicken

Sunchicken Guest

i loot valued items runic armour and such i will say just the fact that you CAN be dry looted is what brought me to siege givea me the adrenaline rush i used to get when i saw those 5 red names running at me in Shame hehe

28. Goron

Goron Guest

how about one red name running at you in Blighted- and failing? :p
    Next time!

29. Sunchicken

Sunchicken Guest

hehe ya kinda got me excited there for a min

30. God_Majere

God_Majere Guest

i'm confused.. you pro-dry looters want pvp but when you dry loot it prevents the other person from being able to pvp... makes no sense to me.

So all i ask is next time your looting someone of their stuff, try not to over do it.

31. Goron

Goron Guest

taking trash items doesn't bankrupt or ruin a pvper's experience. In comparison to the value of the 'lootworthy' gear I have no problem restocking all the extra cheap stuff. Its 20k worth of stuff compared to the half million in worthy gear.
    I just choose not to whine about losing scissors and regs and stuff. I need to reequip my good gear anyways, so it takes no extra burden on my part.

32. Queen Amy

Queen Amy Guest

I didn't vote in the poll. I have been on Seige four and a half months now. I have died a few times, but the only one who dry looted me was Krystal. I'm still here, so... lol