1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

DSL OR Cable

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Scopulus Falco, Jul 23, 2009.

1. I need to know what is best......bad......I have been off line for days with DSL.I am at my wits end here. what do you all think?

2. Ole Cheapy

Ole Cheapy Guest

Consider this.....

Cable is like a Lamborgini (spelling) on a road with congested traffic
    DSL is like a Volkswagon on a road all by itself

Although the Lamborgini is a much faster car, if its stuck in traffic you will reach your destination a lot faster in the volkswagon with no other cars on the road.

3. Zonk the LJ

Zonk the LJ Guest

Cable.
    Unless you live on the big rock candy mountain where its sunny everyday and then there is never a cloud in the sky and the beer flows like wine.

Cable is reliable.

4. So?? no diff?

5. Rykus

Rykus Guest

Good analogy.. :)

I have had DSL since 1997 in various cities across the US. I just moved back to a my home in a small town (15k or so ppl), and the DSL here is simply outstanding. While living in Louisville (about 2 million ppl), the DSL there was HORRIBLE. I barely got 2meg/sec, and the latency to siege was always 100ms+. I am back down to 40ms to 60ms pings to Siege, and get a solid 6mb/sec+ transfer rate.

Cable OTOH in this area is 10mb, and is shared by everyone in the neighborhood. When I go to my friend's house in the prime time hours, he is lucky to get 56k dial-up speeds, no joke. After about 9pm he gets good speed, but the latency can still be an issue.

The bottom line is that your mileage may vary depending on location, and your service provider. I really hate it when people spout off with "X service is better". That's like saying a truck is better than a car. Ok, for what purpose??? Fit the tool to the job. With internet service, get the one that fits you best in your area. Some areas have outstanding cable, and crappy DSL, while others are the reverse.

6. Ole Cheapy

Ole Cheapy Guest

It depends on how many people are on your cable node (how much traffic).

7. Well.I pay A LOT!for this con. But I lose it to often.I have lost alot of UO gear to this problem(Ask my old guild) (GIL)I get mad hehe.So I need a yes or no on this matter.........sorry just got back on after days of being off line .So I am a lil bitter.hehe
    But like you said its great when it isnt friggen up.

8. Bruin

Bruin Guest

It really depends on your service provider more than anything else. If you have cable, and the back end servers that the ISP providers are crap/overloaded/etc, you're just not gonna get a good d/l speed or ping.

Just check dslreports.com (which rates both DSL and cable) for providers in your area, whether its DSL or cable.

9. Well,I am living in the stix.........so I am going to go Cable. DSL is chapping my ars! so I have to at least give it a try A........

10. SoulWeaver

SoulWeaver King of The Bearded Ladies
    Stratics Veteran

11. Troop

Troop Sage
    Stratics Veteran Gilfane

I live in a fairly rural area and have cable. I have been very happy with the cable hook up. I seem to allways have very low ping and it is pretty flawless. I had the DSL for a short time but it just did not work well at all.

My best guess is that a lot of it has to do with who your provider is etc.

12. Aye ...Soul,Troop.......done deal

13. Ole Cheapy

Ole Cheapy Guest

You also have to consider which tier of DSL you have 1 meg, 3 megs, 6 megs, etc. I have had both 6 meg dsl and cable and both do great where I live so I usually just go with the one I owe the less money to. :)

The 6 meg DSL seems to be a lil more consistant than cable but the last time I had DSL i ping about 60 and I have cable right now and Ping anywhere from 45-60 and still get outran by patty pickaxe!

14. Rykus

Rykus Guest

Beware the Patty HAX!

15. Patty Pickaxe

Patty Pickaxe Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

LOL! That's bc I ping around 14 :danceb:
    Thank you for the excitment in Luna!

I have verizon fios. I have the "faster" plan-Download up to 25 Mbps / Upload up to 15 Mbps

I think that is good?

16. IanJames

IanJames Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I've had FIOS for about 18 months and I think in all that time I've had one outage and it was because the router went bad. It's just not available everywhere yet.

Anyway, Falco does live in the sticks, so cable is probably a better choice. If he lived in the city, he'd be better off with DSL likely.

17. Zhao_Yun

Zhao_Yun Guest

I say Cable it better to me.

18. hehe i can do nothing but giggle hehe

19. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

Cable has been very very good to me...

20. Patty Pickaxe

Patty Pickaxe Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

22. HaHa

HaHa Guest

Ill take a girl with some nice DSLs anyday.

23. hehe:thumbsup:

24. Rykus

Rykus Guest

Was wondering when this was going to come up.. Figured it would probably be you that did it.. lol