1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Duped Items??

Discussion in 'UO Rares Collector' started by SilentFoxXy, May 22, 2008.

1. SilentFoxXy

SilentFoxXy Guest

Hi
    I have seen a vendor recently selling a great deal of highly rare items, for instance Pacify, Quell, Subdue, and several others.

As a minor museum curator on my shard I have bought a few items for a great deal of money.

Then I see the dupe list, and it makes me stop in a panic.

I have today seen an item which will remain nameless, up for sale for 100 million gp + . It is an item I would really like to have on show, but, it is unfortunately, on the dupes list.

Is there any way possible to actually verify if this is the real item, or a dupe??

It seems a great shame that when items such as this come onto the market (I have played 2 yrs and have never seen this 1 item I am referring to), seems a shame that I cant/daren't?? buy because it 'May' be a dupe.

Is there a verified/trustable/approved trader??, collector, or do I treat all offers of 'Uber rares' as dupes, and go back to collecting minor items, or is it worth the 'risk' buying thse lovely items with the chance they are dupes??

Any advice?

Thanks

2. Tomas_Bryce

Tomas_Bryce Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
    Stratics Veteran

Once an item is duped, there is no way to know if an item for sale is original or duped. For the most part they are treated as same - although people might pay bit more if they have reasons to believe that the seller of the item is selling the originals.

A lot of things have been duped. A good bit of it is listed in the duped items list and if you stay clear of items on it then you will be fine for the most part. No guarantees though - as such, it helps to network with other collectors. Collecting truly rare items is not so easy, like it should be. Lot of patience, networking and relatively deep pockets are a requirement.

3. Demonous

Demonous Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

why would you sell an item rather than display it just because its something on the duped list... if you're a true rare collector it won't matter, ive already bought things that i knew were most likely duped just to display them

4. SilentFoxXy

SilentFoxXy Guest

Thanks for the replies.

I wouldnt like to display an item that everyone says - 'Oh its duped its not the real thing', Id rather not display an item than have that 'thought' about items Im displaying :)

Gorgeous as the colouring is....Id like to know, and be known for, displaying True items, rather than copies:)

Thanks again:)

5. Kaj

Kaj Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Well I can imagine some reasons:
    -Principles. You just do not want to knowingly display anything duped.
    -Possible price drops due to them being destroyed (vine cord) or devalued (ari, lt. sash, Tal'Keesh etc.) which endanger the investment.

I personally have some mummy wrappings. It's on the dupe list, but I bought them from the person that got them at the event. Even if it was worth due 100k due to dupers I still think it's a nice bit of history.

6. Manticore

Manticore Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Why the heck are we talking in circles. What shard is this vendor on and what item are you talking about?

7. DVI

DVI Guest

While, I wouldn't look down on someone for having a collection which contained items that have been or under suspicion of being duped (don't confuse this with me looking down on individuals who sell duped items, especially in large quantities) I personally have made it a point to keep only items that I know or can reasonably assumed have not been duped in my collection.

8. Kaj

Kaj Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Pacify.

9. THP

THP Stratics Legend

Can i just add to this post my ten peneth

BUT!! Hey duping as kinda help ruin our game..Duping need to stop [full stop]...People need to stop supporting the dupers by buying known duped items [full stop]....It wanted addressing and thank goodness in the case of the Obvoiusly 99.99% Duped Vinecord Sandies..ACTION WAS FINALLY TAKEN.. and not too soon either..

I applaud Jeremy and the team for taking action and hope they continue to delete the obvoiusly 99.99% duped items...WE are talking the items that are unique (like the vinecords were- just one real pair!! yet hundreds in the market)...

So lets hope some other doppy duper messes up soon and drops another bag full of **whatever unique item insert here**... ( Or ) FLOODS the market with the same **unique item** ..Then we can see the same deletions again by the devs!!!

Make no mistake the players need to be vigilant and report multi 'unique' items that are for sale..so the Devs can take action for deletion once again!

THP

10. Nystul

Nystul Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

I would'nt buy any event items until we see what exactly the dev team has in store for them.

If you really want one, be smart about it. Do some research on how many were actually givin out, and maybe a rough estimate on how many are known to exist. Then just make your own educated decision.

I would personally would feel safer with a bunch of cash waiting to see what happens.

11. Cysphruo

Cysphruo Guest

Nothing is really rare anymore, I tell people this all the time but nobody listens, just wait until you can find it for cheap, everything always comes around eventually, I've bought countless rares/event items for uber cheap.
    Bought a robe of Tal'Keesh a couple weeks back for 2mil.

12. Moby Grape

Moby Grape Guest

At the time of the great Vinecord purge, thought about the idea that some special code must be attached to to each unquie item.

If not, how would they have picked out the real one, lets assume there still is an actual vinecord still in play and it wasn't a total wipe.

So, If that was the case, why not load those codes into the Item ID skill, and at even 50 skill level, we could tell the difference between the real and the dupe.

Example: ID an Orcish Insignia Ring, It should have an unique code which states its an Orcish Insignia Ring, not just Ring.

Not saying we need to do this to everything in game, but the totally unique items such as event rares or even expand to Doom arties.

Let peer pressure, once it is ID'd as a fake, do the job of 10 Devs in weeding the dupes out.

Its just a thought, with no IDOCs to do, my mind wanders.

13. Teufel_Hund

Teufel_Hund Guest

Supposedly no Vine Cords survived the purge, the original was long since gone so they wiped all vine cords. Unless I am mistaken that is what happened.

14. Salivern_Diago

Salivern_Diago Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

You have a way to tell if its duped or not...

Page a GM and ask them! If I'm not sure on an item I page and ask, Just say something like "Could a GM please check this item for me to make sure it is not a dupe/bug". They'll answer you and you'll get an answer :)

Better to wait an hour than to loose over 200mils eh

15. Kaj

Kaj Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Alas GMs usually do not comment on whether or not an item is legal/duped and will only refer to the webpage. Primarily since GMs are not policy makers and seem very very reluctant to give out information when it comes to dupes, rares and events. Even items that are on the EA webpage as 'delete on sight' sometimes do not get deleted, which I experienced twice in the last month.

The best way to check is this forum at this point in time.

16. Tomas_Bryce

Tomas_Bryce Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
    Stratics Veteran

I am sorry but that is like the most useless way. All you will get is a canned ambiguous response as quite frankly they know very little about it.

17. Restless

Restless Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

i have pretty much remained silent about dupes and whatnot until now but it has been drawn out to an extent to where i guess i will offer my opinion.... i am not for duping, unfortunately through some loopholes and exploits in the game duping happened. this does not necessarily mean items that were rare are no longer rare, it just means they are less rare. something that there was originally one of now there may be x amount of... who knows what that number is, so its good to have the list of known dupes so possible buyers are aware of the situation.... buyer beware(beware of devaluation, not deletion) is the best course of action.... THP has been really adamant about deleting all duped items and in particular the unique items, claiming that "there can only be one loser, the owner of the original" and at some point that owner was/is a duper... but the true fact of it is that by deleting them there can only be one winner, the duper themself. they didnt give a damn about the game, or the item in question. they duped and sold for a ton of gold or a good amount of cash and that was it. not every buyer is privy to all information regarding an item, and said ignorant buyers are the losers, and unfortunate in my opinion.... duping sucks, but it occurred, we need to accept it and create the market around it via speculative buying, not by fear of deletion which will inevitably destroy the rares market altogether.

18. THP

THP Stratics Legend

Again iam going to beg to differ

The dupers ''WILL'' lose out because u can bet diamonds there was 2 or 3 people maybe more!! who ''WERE'' sitting on a ''BAG FULL'' of vinecords and selling em slowly into the markey place as to not cause a rumpus at 1 per month for +300m a pop!!..

WELL ''Welcome to a bag full of brown sandies'' whomever u are!!!!LOL

19. MaryForUo

MaryForUo Sage

duping'll be a part of UO forever.
    I hate dupers and duped items and never bought one.

I love this game, a lot, and i think they have millions x millions of
    line of code. So they'd invest more in programming to check better
    the uo code, client & server side.

20. DVI

DVI Guest

You did not comprehend the point restless was trying to make at all did you?

The dupers don't pay to replicate an item, thats how they profit. They illegally produce the items for free. Even if they devs delete or change every duped item they have stock piled they've already made a substantial profit off selling the items, and they still have other duped items stock piled available for sale.

So, sure they lose their backstock of duped vine cords or other items, but when they've already made thousands of dollars or billions of gold the only loser is the player who was ignorant to the nature of the item they bought and is now left with nothing but a worthless item.

Also someone mentioned adding/changing the code on original items to show a clear indication of what was the original and what is not, but when you transfer an item the code is changed permanently, and will be changed every time the item transfers.

If you want to test this, take a owned by no one talisman, equip it on a char, then use a char other than the one which originally equipped it to transfer it to another shard, once there use the 2nd char to equip the talisman. I've done this many times and I've always been able to equip it and the name displayed on the talisman changes.

21. THP

THP Stratics Legend

Yes but i still like the satisfaction that the dupers aint gonna make 1 single penny more from there duped vinecord sandies...yes they made some xxx money already ....BUT yes they just lost the remaining xxx money THEY WOULD HAVE MADE if it was not for the dupe fix!!

Hey im waiting and waiting and watching for the next duper mess up!! If they mess up again i will be there beating my drum.....

Oh!!! and please dont make me feel sorry for anyone that paid
    +300m for vinecords...Someone paying that sort of gold knows full well what they were buying into!!! make no mistake,,they knew damn well they were buying a 99.99% duped item!!

THP (dupe policeman).

22. Littleblue

Littleblue Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Interesting...I have noticed a few new names recently posting to buy high-dollar rares. Now they may be perfectly legit, and would prefer to maintain their privacy, as to not become an instant target for hackers and scammers. But they could also be seeking these rares with the intent to dupe them for maximum profit.

I would definately be careful when conducting transactions involving high-dollar rares when the buyer or seller is unknown to the Rares Community. It's always better to be safe than take a chance and end up losing out.

If there is a new duping method around, hopefully the Devs will fix it as quickly as they can, and take action against those that try it, successful or not. I would be happy to patiently wait for new content while this issue, if it does exist, is dealt with.

I do know Jeremy has mentioned recently that there have been some sort of hardware issues, but I've no idea whether that could be related to the LS shard equipment or not. Maybe we will get some clarification soon.

23. Pickaxe Pete

Pickaxe Pete Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

The only fair solution is to seek out billing info matches with multiples (as in more than 2-3 of the same thing) of these items and ban them. Anything else would hurt too many people at this point - it's far too late.

24. maremmano

maremmano Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

ur wrong.. and what about people who bought vines like 4 yrs ago when NONE could afford it? when ALL thought there were at least few of them?
    where did u read about vines first time? i had to read the story of this item when they DELETE it! so when i bought them i DIDNT know they maybe were duped! and i had to pay
    so the one who suffered are the buyers.. not the seller who made already the profit.. u can delete all events if u want.. but next bug of duping they will dupe uber jewels, uber armor, uber weapons .. this **** never end!

next time ban brokers or the sellers of duped items directly.. this would be fair!

sorry about mine english:[

• About Us

Stratics is the oldest continually running MMORPG Fansite on the Internet. Founded in 1997 Stratics has served the Ultima Online Community for 18 years. We strive to provide the most complete social experience for Ultima Online players.
  • Subscribe Now!

Want to provide Continual Support? Subscribe and gain additional benefits as a patron of Stratics.com!
    Subscribe Now!

Stratics Professional Accounts feature the following advantages:

• Ad-Free Browsing of our Forums
    • Upload a custom Profile Cover
    • Unlimited media upload storage space
    • Use of the theme styler
    • Ability to collapse the sidebar
    • Premium background themes to choose from
    • Access to additional features of the Classifieds System
    • Ability to Customize Your User Title
    • No Post Delays
    • Additional Signature Allowances:
    • Special Professional Banner Display with your Account
    • PM Allowance Upgrade
    • Additional Thread Allowances
  • Support Us!

Don't feel like subscribing? Donations to benefit the further development of Stratics and for purchase and inclusion of additional features are always welcome.

Donate to us!