1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Greetings Guest! Tonights Maintenance is complete and the Stratics Community Wiki is now live. Please see this thread for more details.
    Dismiss Notice

EA and marketing

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Aurelius, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Aurelius

Aurelius Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Feb 26, 2004

So, let's see how much of this rings bells with the UO community, since after all this is a leading EA guy speaking....

"All too often we see great games that don't get the marketing they deserve," he said, but pointed out that "great marketing can't make a bad game good - it might have happened a decade ago, but no longer."

"Schappert also urged a focus on quality, as well as an investment in online properties: "The days of ship-it-and-forget-it are gone - as game makers we need to plan for a long term relationship with our consumers," he said. "

"Don't abandon your consumer base - specifically those shiny discs. We often forget about how important the disc is - I don't think in the near term, medium term or the long term we're going to lose that disc."

Of course, as is also pointed out in that article, "John Schappert was talking in one of his first conference appearances since he made the switch from Microsoft last year.". So maybe he's not acquired the EA philosophy yet, or maybe he's planning on changing it.....
  2. LordDrago

LordDrago Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Jun 26, 2004
    Would be nice if some of those ideas were brought in......

Not counting on it though.
  3. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Jul 11, 2004
    When I watched the NBA Celeb All-Star game two weeks ago, sponsored by the latest Final Fantasy, the commercials did not compel me to buy the FF game and I felt the game was sorta not really involved with the program. I've been thinking, the best way for UO to try to advertise has to be YouTube. Player contests, etc., YouTube is a great way to be viral.
  4. The game must be made to look better, 2d and EC. The first thing people will look at is the graphics which by todays standards are very old.
    Don't get me wrong UO is a awesome game to play on either client, just people will look at graphics first and be turned off. The way it is most new players are old ones that know the game is more than just graphics.
  5. canary

canary Guest

LOL!! Yeah, he's not really espousing the EA philosophy. They are more 'Get it out the door, who needs a stinkin' disk, 'bugs' equal 'unannounced features''. Funny to read from an EA rep, though.