1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

EA games to create additional jobs in Austin

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Sevin0oo0, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Sevin0oo0

Sevin0oo0 Guest

nuttin much to see here, sorry, no mention of UO, just EA.
    Code:
    http://www.dailytexanonline.com/news/2011/07/18/ea-games-create-additional-jobs-austin
    I didn't know about a lot of them had moved from calif - thought they were mostly still there?

2. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

Mostly EA Sports.

Kind of funny the media is making a big deal out of it, without mentioning how many jobs EA moved to California from what used to be Origin and a couple of other companies. And it looks like they are only going to less than 40 to start and then decide from there.

Now if they went on a hiring spree in Virginia and it was targeted towards BioWare, I'd be happy/interested since a few might accidentally end up working on UO.

3. Ludes

Ludes Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

The main office of UO did used to be in Austin though..

The house in the beginning of Ultima IX is supposedly an exact copy of RG's house in Austin.

4. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

I have a feeling that EA moved more than 300 jobs out of Austin, to California.

And as for RG's house, he was building a new one but it's on hold, but here's his "castle" if you will. I wish I didn't have a restraining order for that place after Garriott pressed charges and damned near killed me.

It's where he hosts Lysts on the Lake, a jousting tournament.

5. Obsidian

Obsidian UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

FYI, UO is currently developed in Fairfax, VA just south of Washington DC. I don't think this will have any impact on the game we so enjoy.

6. Sevin0oo0

Sevin0oo0 Guest

lol, unlike this thread I started, now That sounds like a story!

7. Ludes

Ludes Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Just curious.. ( for you business savy posters)

Why would you move jobs from Austin to California?
    Seems like that would actually cost you more since wages and all around everything is higher in Cal..

Unless they were consolidating workforce into a central loc..?

But EA has property everywhere.. why Cal?

As for the house thing WoW I hadn't seen those..
    Thanks Woodsman!

The one in Ultima IX is obviously a much earlier property.. or maybe even something he rented back when they were writing U9.

And.. I also want to hear more of this restraining order story Woodsman...

Give it up!

8. Cloak&Dagger

Cloak&Dagger Guest

I can answer some of this.....for one wages in Cali are not higher than other places, I have moved in and out of Cali several times over the years and my wages are always less then (at least were anytime I changed jobs, working for the same company they remained the same.). They moved all the Origin people from Austin to Cali to be part of the Mythic team.