1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

EA Town Hall Schedule

Discussion in 'EA Land/The Sims Online Stratics Forums' started by NightFlyer, Apr 1, 2008.

1. NightFlyer

NightFlyer Guest

Have the Devs/Parizad just given up on the posted (scheduled) times open for the EA Land Town Hall?

The schedule is posted on TSO-E.

The last few times I have looked with the hopes of catching them there the place is closed.

What gives?

2. Guest

Guest Guest

I think with all the hours the dev has been working so many hours, the time at the houses are a bit off. Give them a bit of time to get back to a normal schedule and go from there.

3. Are you looking during the right time zone times? (If that makes sense lol)

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I thought the dev team was there for all time zones... they start at 5pm EST and stay there until 7pm PST... lol

And by the way... there is actually a city in China called Tipping so your signature is totally wrong... lol

5. NightFlyer

NightFlyer Guest

"Are you looking during the right time zone times? (If that makes sense lol) "

Yes and yes.

6. I haven't seen them follow any kind of schedule for the past few weeks. Perhaps the schedule needs to just be removed from the blog so as not to confuse us further. [​IMG]

7. TKSpeedy1

TKSpeedy1 Guest

Schedule for today is 10-1 p.m. Pacific. It's now 1:48 eastern...still waiting.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Have you checked in TC3? I know sometimes they go there for a bit

9. TKSpeedy1

TKSpeedy1 Guest

No, I'm not in TC3. Will continue to wait...patiently..not so patiently....haven't decided yet. [​IMG]

10. lol your times, haha.

I can't find a tipping china!

11. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm going to wear my heart on my sleeve in this post.

We (the whole team) works crazy amount of hours each week. We try to make it to the Town Hall whenever we can. In the past, we tried to be there religiously. As time went on, we got busier and busier. I don't know if you guys noticed that I cut back the hours posted? We'll probably cut it back some more.

The last couple of times I was there, I was so busy that I knew, absolutely knew I'd have to work until 9 p.m. or later, but I went anyway. You know what happened? A few people came in to do nothing but ***** and moan about how much we sucked. They did not have any questions or issues. They only wanted to form a mob. They kept keeping the players that actually had questions from asking them.

You have to understand, the stuff you guys post about and the feedback we get in-game... the bugs, exploits, etc, we take those very seriously. We're keep pushing ourselves to make this game better for you guys. When people come in to do nothing but whine, and do not have any suggestions on how we can better this game, it really takes a toll on me. Like I said, we're stressed, working tons of hours, and often times these people are the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Often times, it is easier to just close down the Town Hall than it is to play into their hands by reacting to their diatribes.

I can help you guys, the community, sooooo much more with the things I do behind the scenes. Whenever I can, I'll go to the Town Hall. The times posted are more of a suggested schedule.

12. <blockquote><hr>

We (the whole team) works crazy amount of hours each week. We try to make it to the Town Hall whenever we can. In the past, we tried to be there religiously. As time went on, we got busier and busier. I don't know if you guys noticed that I cut back the hours posted? We'll probably cut it back some more.

The last couple of times I was there, I was so busy that I knew, absolutely knew I'd have to work until 9 p.m. or later, but I went anyway. You know what happened? A few people came in to do nothing but ***** and moan about how much we sucked. They did not have any questions or issues. They only wanted to form a mob. They kept keeping the players that actually had questions from asking them.

You have to understand, the stuff you guys post about and the feedback we get in-game... the bugs, exploits, etc, we take those very seriously. We're keep pushing ourselves to make this game better for you guys. When people come in to do nothing but whine, and do not have any suggestions on how we can better this game, it really takes a toll on me. Like I said, we're stressed, working tons of hours, and often times these people are the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Often times, it is easier to just close down the Town Hall than it is to play into their hands by reacting to their diatribes.

I can help you guys, the community, sooooo much more with the things I do behind the scenes. Whenever I can, I'll go to the Town Hall. The times posted are more of a suggested schedule.

[/ QUOTE ]

::stands up and cheers::

You guys really do work so hard and you don't deserve all the bashing that goes on here and in the game. It's really disheartening. Expecially when a bulk of players were not here a year or 2 ago when there was nothing! No updates, no fixes, no information, nothing.

I can't think of many harder workers than you devs. Thank You!

13. Thanks for the response Pari. I'll admit, the last time I visited Town Hall, even though I did not say anything negative, I also did not say anything positive. I just floated there and contributed nothing.

I can see how even that can lead to the assumption "if you are not With us, you are Against us"

I LOVE the level of communication we have experienced this past year. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you all . . . many may not be entirely comfortable with the direction EAL is heading, but I can assure you we are ALL happy we are no longer being ignored.

And even though I am quiet and never acknowledge any of you, I deeply appreciate the many many many hours and sweat molecules you 'guys' are dedicating to the game, and your customers.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I suspected this had something to do with it as well, because I witnessed it first hand every time I was in the Town Hall myself, and heard worst stories of people making worse asses out of themselves than they do here. Why people don't stop to think that being a dev doesn't cease to make a person a human being, I don't know. They *do* have thicker skin than the average 'joe', but still some people just really lay it on thick with the "YOU GUYS SUCK YOU'RE NOT DOING A SINGLE GD THING RIGHT", and that's gotta be a slap in the face to the people who work 12-20 hours a day on our behalves [​IMG]

15. Guest

Guest Guest

I understand and have been there to witness it also. What I can't understand is why you allow it. I know they are playing the game and have a right more or less to be heard, and in a way that thing about them being a customer and all well ya know what.... BS... kick their butts out and if need be ban them like we do. In most places there are laws about disrupting a lawful meeting lol (yea I'm stretching it a bit here ) but still, it's bad enough they are allowed to go off here on the boards and make 75 different threads so they are seen. Actually I'm surprised that Stratics hasn't been raided by ATF for all the illegal whinning there has been around here without a license. [​IMG]

Yea i know Mods..... everyone has a right to be heard and voice their opinions, however everyother line of I agree with you, is crazy... someone who "joins" the board today for the first time and by the end of the day has 150 posts, has another purpose in mind...

of course that's just my opinion and I may be wrong.. but i'm still entitled to it .

16. Guest

Guest Guest

You should boot those jerks Parizad! Let them come here and complain about that. I don't blame you one bit. You deserve a break. ((Devs))

17. Guest

Guest Guest

That stinks. I've also been trying to catch it when its open but have been unable to.

I will keep trying!

18. Guest

Guest Guest

Oy I would have FFL'd that noise ages ago.

19. Aelisa

Aelisa Guest

I too appreciate all that the devs and Parizad are trying to do with this game.

I think anyone who moans, groans, whines, cries and complains ought to take a programming course like Visual Basic or C++, etc.

THEN try telling everyone (from your own experience) how crappy everything is, how easy it SHOULD be to get things done faster, easier and better.

I keep hearing, "I've worked my butt off for this, that and the other."

Or...

"I've been a loyal player for X amount of years and I DEMAND this, that and the other."

Seriously, working one's sim butt off consists of sitting on one's own butt, pointing, clicking and typing. Man, I work up a sweat just thinking about it!

As for loyalty. Please, it's more likely addiction than anything else.

They are doing the best they can given what they have to work with from the Big Kahunas on high. They deserve our appreciation for THEIR loyalty, efforts, hard work and massive amounts of time spent on TSO/EA Land.

Thanks all.

20. Guest

Guest Guest

No one can deny the hard work the dev team puts into this game for us. The level of communication is unheard of. Here's why people are complaining so much: They remember TSO. They remember how the payouts were, the money they had and how everything (in a way) worked well. Now with all these changes problems are coming up. What people don't realize is without these changes, THIS GAME WOULD BE CLOSED!

Thank you Dev team for working the crazy hours you do and all the hard work you put into this game. I know it is not perfect... but it will get there [​IMG]

21. Guest

Guest Guest

No no no no no kissing up to them won't help you now young man.... spreading rumors of the game closing for your jollies at their expense will get you your just rewards....... CANCELED!!!!!!

lmao.... how sweet it would be...at least for a day or so lol

22. Guest

Guest Guest

Sh! You are killing my chances to get back into the good graces of the EAL Gods... lol

23. Guest

Guest Guest

I want to make it clear that we LOVE feedback. Yes, even negative feedback. Everyone (including ourselves) are aware of the problem. Giving us your input on how to fix the problem is just as important as telling us what you don't like.

24. Guest

Guest Guest

I think a more fitting punishment for dear Duncan would be for him to keep seeing monkey heads for a whole month ......

And as for the Town Hall - I haven't had a chance to get there as often as I used to, but I was really disappointed last time I was there. People with genuine questions had little or no chance to partcipate due to half the visitors acting like some kind of lynch mob to hurl abuse at Parizad and the other vocal ones trying to dominate the chat with their own personal agendas and conversations between each other.

I don't blame Parizad and the devs for not hosting the Town Hall as much as they used to. When the pub started in TC3 it was an awesome place to go and get first hand information, give constructive feedback and discuss ideas, a really great communication tool that has sadly been abused and mis-used by too many along the way.

Polly

25. Guest

Guest Guest

Why make promises you don't plan to keep? It just sets up people for disappointment. The fact that Town Hall turns into a gripe session is because you allow it to. You need to set the ground rules and manage the meeting.

Here are two suggestions: If you don't plan to be there as much as indicated in the blog schedule, cut back the schedule to what you can handle and then be there when you say you will. It's better to have a reliable 4 hours a week then 12 "scheduled" hours that are unpredictable. If you're going to be unpredictable, have unexpected "bonus" hours.

It's the internet age, so update the blog schedule to indicate what's happening. If you aren't going to make a scheduled slot, at least say so when you know, even if you can't give advance notice. People spending an hour or two wondering if you're going to show up is a frustrating and completely avoidable experience.

26. Guest

Guest Guest

There are bigger problems right now than them updating us of when the Town Hall will be open or not. I would rather have them no show on us because they are working on something to make the game better.

Sorry, but I think priorities need to be set and they have them set properly right now. Plus, if they publish when it is open, people will still go there and whine and complain the whole time. The idea behind the city hall is so people have a place to ask questions... not beat the dev team down.

27. As much as I agree with the side of, "I'd rather them do other things besides listen to us grip at them in Town Hall" I also think there is a serious communication problem.

It's nice that Parizad came here to explain, but not everyone reads this. (We have always been able to count on Parizad here, which I'm thankful for).
    They really should update the blog to say what is actually happening, even if it says hours: TBD. Or has a warning that the times posted are not definite.

Either way, Dev's, keep up the good work!

28. Instead of holding meetings at town hall I would suggest just opening the EA Store now and again. Most of us are used to AFK store owners and you could just pretend to be AFK to all the whiners and only answer questions to people in IM that you saw fit [​IMG] The majority of players are used to not getting any answers or responses in stores. Seems like this would be the best for both sides.

OH yeah! And we know store owners boot visitors for no good reason all the time. You could boot anyone anytime for anything!

Town Halls across america are full of shouters and whiners. Perhaps it's the name of the place that draws them all in?

29. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

Instead of holding meetings at town hall I would suggest just opening the EA Store now and again. Most of us are used to AFK store owners and you could just pretend to be AFK to all the whiners and only answer questions to people in IM that you saw fit [​IMG] The majority of players are used to not getting any answers or responses in stores. Seems like this would be the best for both sides.

OH yeah! And we know store owners boot visitors for no good reason all the time. You could boot anyone anytime for anything!

Town Halls across america are full of shouters and whiners. Perhaps it's the name of the place that draws them all in?

[/ QUOTE ]

Either that or start the bi-monthly dev chats back up that we had right when TC3 opened. I was disappointed when they were closed. Yes, not everybody's questions got answered that way, but nor are they in the Town Hall and at least in the live chat format the devs could filter out the obvious troll questions/comments and post the legitimate questions along with their answers. Is there a possibility that this could be started back up as an alternative? It was only, what....an hour and a half twice a month?

30. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

Why make promises you don't plan to keep? It just sets up people for disappointment. The fact that Town Hall turns into a gripe session is because you allow it to. You need to set the ground rules and manage the meeting.

Here are two suggestions: If you don't plan to be there as much as indicated in the blog schedule, cut back the schedule to what you can handle and then be there when you say you will. It's better to have a reliable 4 hours a week then 12 "scheduled" hours that are unpredictable. If you're going to be unpredictable, have unexpected "bonus" hours.

It's the internet age, so update the blog schedule to indicate what's happening. If you aren't going to make a scheduled slot, at least say so when you know, even if you can't give advance notice. People spending an hour or two wondering if you're going to show up is a frustrating and completely avoidable experience.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sounds reasonable.

31. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

It's nice that Parizad came here to explain, but not everyone reads this. (We have always been able to count on Parizad here, which I'm thankful for).
    They really should update the blog to say what is actually happening, even if it says hours: TBD. Or has a warning that the times posted are not definite.

[/ QUOTE ]
    This is reasonable too.

Edited to add: An in-game message to announce the TH is open would help to make a "soft" schedule more palatable.

32. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
    This is reasonable too.

Edited to add: An in-game message to announce the TH is open would help to make a "soft" schedule more palatable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, provided it was either sent through IM or one of those messages that pop up on the screen that dont go away until you click "OK" so the people who come back and forth every 10 minutes while skilling would have a greater possibility of not missing the message unless they accidentally let their sim time out.

33. NightFlyer

NightFlyer Guest

Thanks for the reply Parizad.

I agree with whomever said to boot the trouble makers. They don't add anything to the conversation and inhibit others who may have an actual question/concern/problem.

I will try to be patient and catch the devs when they have time to make it in the Town Hall.

34. Guest

Guest Guest

Amen Pari... let me be a roomie... I'll be the Chat Nazi lol

NO CHAT FOR YOU !!!!!! *boot*

35. Guest

Guest Guest

LOL
    I had thought maybe a thread here to answer questions for an hour or so. Maybe a sticky they could look at, at their leisure. Just pass up the whiney posts or put the person on iggy. Maybe the mods could remove extremely whiney posts for you. At least we would not all be talking at once.

36. Guest

Guest Guest

Awww OMG this just made me so sad.

It's kind of like the realization that a lot of people get when they go off to college. And they realize how hard they have been on their parents and how much they appreciate them for all that they do. Obviously that just happened in my life so I am reminiscing.

37. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

Amen Pari... let me be a roomie... I'll be the Chat Nazi lol

NO CHAT FOR YOU !!!!!! *boot*

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ok - I laffed.
    I could almost hear the accent.
    [​IMG]

38. Guest

Guest Guest

There have been days where I would wait for TH to be opened and walla...no one is there. I write down the questions that I would have asked and go about my day in EAL. And just hope to catch them later.

Gotta luv dem devs for all they do!

39. <blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel for you Pari... I wouldn't even bother having the Town Hall open lol.. We all have our limits, regardless of the risky path the devs decided to take - you all took on the responsibility of becoming more involved in the player community, which is unique in the world of MMORPGs and on-line gaming in general. Involvement on that level tends to backfire, since we cannot please 100% of the people 100% of the time, and there will always be unhappy people out there complaining about something lol.... It's probably better, for your psyche's protection, to back off and be the 'man behind the curtain', that way you won't have to listen to player's foolish rantings all the time lol...

40. NightFlyer

NightFlyer Guest

..."that way you won't have to listen to player's foolish rantings all the time lol..."..

Or thier feedback, or concerns, or ingame problems, or kudos or suggestions or anything! What a great world that would be! But then I think this has been figured out already. [​IMG]

41. <blockquote><hr>

..."that way you won't have to listen to player's foolish rantings all the time lol..."..

Or thier feedback, or concerns, or ingame problems, or kudos or suggestions or anything! What a great world that would be! But then I think this has been figured out already. [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doh they can read them here - doesn't mean they actually have to be IN the game to field them...

42. I'm with you on that!!!

Back when the pub first opened, there was a WHOLE lot to discuss...the merge, how it would be done, what would be saved....what was wrong...what we thought seemed to work....etc.

All that is done now and it's pretty much fixing the bugs and implementing 'new stuff'....ya know becoming a successful, regular old internet game where people can become addicts and spend 16 hours a day playing. (YIKES!!! Some do that already!)

I would be all for maybe just a once a month meeting. Just have town hall open all day for 1 day a month to discuss upcoming developments, suggested improvements and such. Break the day into different brackets to accomodate different time zones. Maybe post the 'agenda' on the wiki so attendees can just click on the link and read it?

I love the devs and would like nothing more than to just hang out and hear everything that is happening but I gotta practice being a sim addict too.

And I'm sure the devs are busy fixing stuff and developing stuff too.

And personally I just got tired of listening the bashing, the redundant questions and figured I needed to go play with my pink poodle.

43. LoL Dutch - very true.. [​IMG]

44. NightFlyer

NightFlyer Guest

"Doh they can read them here - doesn't mean they actually have to be IN the game to field them... "

Or dodge them as the case may be.

45. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

Back when the pub first opened, there was a WHOLE lot to discuss...the merge, how it would be done, what would be saved....what was wrong...what we thought seemed to work....etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was under the impression that the merge was just the beginning of a lot of changes.

I know I still have a lot of questions.

46. Guest

Guest Guest

u r doing a great job guys ... thank you very much! i cant believe people actually do that! u r the ones that made this game have a chance of survival and actually becoming something better!

To whoever that just want to whine, please dont play the game until some stuff are fixed ... we dont want ppl who demotivates the devs and stresses them out even more...

a question to the devs ... if each one of you is too stresses out and working extra hours .. why dont you bring another developer to work with you guys? or is it something more complex with the upper management?

47. Guest

Guest Guest

I agree. We need more developers to help with the current workload that this team is dealing with. But, I don't think EA will approve anyone else to sign on since the game isn't profitable yet. Only time will tell.

48. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

u r doing a great job guys ... thank you very much! i cant believe people actually do that! u r the ones that made this game have a chance of survival and actually becoming something better!

To whoever that just want to whine, please dont play the game until some stuff are fixed ... we dont want ppl who demotivates the devs and stresses them out even more...

a question to the devs ... if each one of you is too stresses out and working extra hours .. why dont you bring another developer to work with you guys? or is it something more complex with the upper management?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BIOYA! [​IMG]

49. <blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I was under the impression that the merge was just the beginning of a lot of changes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Back a year ago when the exploit occurred and 'Luc' - savior of EAland showed up.

Discussions started out here at stratics between Luc and the rest of us. Many options were batted back and forth. Lots of suggests and the like.

I gotta go back to the wikki and read my suggestion because it was on of many that had suggestions along the line of 'merging' the cities.

Though I think the team kinda gave us a 'friendly push' into thinking we are the ones that suggested the 'merge'. Which is ok with me.

The merge is kinda the end of TSO and the beginning of EAland and personally I hope that they have many many things in the pipeline to be added to the game. I just don't see needing more than a once a month 'meeting' to discuss it.

50. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Back a year ago when the exploit occurred and 'Luc' - savior of EAland showed up.

Discussions started out here at stratics between Luc and the rest of us. Many options were batted back and forth. Lots of suggests and the like.

I gotta go back to the wikki and read my suggestion because it was on of many that had suggestions along the line of 'merging' the cities.

Though I think the team kinda gave us a 'friendly push' into thinking we are the ones that suggested the 'merge'. Which is ok with me.

The merge is kinda the end of TSO and the beginning of EAland and personally I hope that they have many many things in the pipeline to be added to the game. I just don't see needing more than a once a month 'meeting' to discuss it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooh but the way I remember it was, there would be EA-Land and all old cities would be left in the dust. [​IMG]