1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Early Mornin Brainstorm

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Spiffykeen, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Spiffykeen

Spiffykeen Seasoned Veteran
    Governor Stratics Veteran Safe Haven

I was walking into town from my house by the Lycaeum, and looking at it lovingly, with it's little lecture halls and fussy librarians, when I had an epiphany! I was considering what could be lectured on that would interest anyone enough to show up, and the answer is SIEGE. We've been going back and forth about attracting newbies to the shard, we've been talking about the variety of playstyles, and the community, etc etc. The best way to portray that to new players is in person.

If we can get people from other shards to come to siege at an appointed date and time, make a character, start in Moonglow, and walk in the safety of the guardzone to the Lycaeum, we can demonstrate just who we are. A meeting like this would need to involve people from all varieties of playstyles, the PKs, the non-existant thieves, the PvMers and crafters and RPers... A good cross-section, and when I say PK's and thieves, I mean people like TRU and Tien, they might as well meet them from the start right? Maybe that's what they're looking for!

So say we get newbies to show up, and we show up, next we hold an open forum, in game. Let them ask their questions and get answers from real players, in real time. If they don't like what they see and never log in again, what have they lost? We made them try something new in-game. If they do get interested, we'll have people there with suits, supplies. We'll have NEW2 recruiters, or they could get picked up by a bigger guild right off the bat, or they could go it alone.

We can have the owners of Vendor houses or Magincia Brokers present to show them where to shop or sell resources. It will be like Siege orientation/open house. The Lycaeum has room around it to do PvP demos. I think we could show these people a good time, and attract some attention, but it would have to be a shard-wide effort

I think I've mapped the idea fairly well in my current condition *coughs* Let me know what you think, and if you think it would help

GarthGrey, startle, kelmo and 3 others like this.
  2. startle

startle Siege... Where the fun begins.
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Gilfane

Hi Spiffykeen.... I like your idea, but would like to add to it a bit.... I think that this approach has great possibility to attract some people to Siege, but really only if it is done with some serious advance preparation. (If we want to make the most of it and have more than 1 or 2 people show up). By that I mean posts in UHall and shard forums about what there is to like about Siege, why you're here, and then end with the specific date/time for this Siege meetup - all well in advance. I know this has been done a bit here and there by some, but I believe that the "advertising" for Siege should take place first. Perhaps we should have a thread here on Siege where all can give their input on why they're here and why they stay - and then take the best of that and use it as one big post (that would include quotes from the thread) which could then be used as a single "advertisement" for Siege on those forums. At the end of that thread I'd include the date/time for your Siege "orientation"....

I'm going to make a post (as soon as I finish typing this) - on Siege - towards that end....

#2 startle, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  3. Norman Bates

Norman Bates Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Hi Spiffy, let me say at the outset what a GREAT idea this is... I happen to have it on good authority that the nice folks at UORADIO.COM would be more than happy to put up some on-air promos for your proposed "meet & greet" should it ever come to fruition. These would naturally be free of charge, "Public Service Announcements" of sorts. Lemme know if you would be interested, my icq is 309713625:]

4. Lai Tash

Lai Tash Adventurer

Well actually when me and a couple of friends of mine first came to SP to look around, the meeting party was really nice (maybe even too nice, we kept wondering what's the catch here), though we decided to stay on Europa - you know, houses, items, characters, my brit boat after all. But everyone liked it, even the guy who is anything but a hardcore gamer. But eventually here i am (unfortunatly others moved to either real life or other mmos or whatever)

startle likes this.
  5. startle

Well, glad you stayed Lai Tash. I know there are others here that either are or were on Europa and have made a home here...

6. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend GoT

How dare you come up with a really good idea to improve the shard that doesn't require the assistance of an EM. :pirate:

Victim of Siege likes this.
  7. Kattasrophe

Nothing But Trouble

I think this is a wonderful Idea Talia. It would do Siege Perilous wonders in our populations to have them all meet a few guilds have some help right at their side as soon as they create their char and understand how Siege works. If they understand sooner they can make their minds up on weather they want to stay or not. Which I think is a great idea insted of helping someone out and the next day they never come back. I find that slightly annoying. I am all for this and if you need help Talia please tell me..

startle likes this.
  8. Spiffykeen

Well thanks everybody, I'm flattered :D Would January be a good month to shoot for, or do you think it would take more time to plan? The most important thing is to have people show up, so we need to choose a time that will work for the majority of us. Also, if it's not too painful of an undertaking, we could schedule two in one day, one early for europeans, and one later for american west coasters

9. startle

Hey Spiffykeen - There are quite a few people here that would be happy to help, as long as the effort is organized to some degree - as evidenced by the responses here....

I'm less concerned with people who will volunteer to help once they're here (because I know they will), and more concerned about HOW we go about getting them here to meet us in the first place. I think that THAT is the logical next step.

So, what would a campaign to recruit new blood look like?
    I certainly do not think that we can rely solely on threads here on Stratics (UHall and shard forums), simply because of the number of players who either aren't aware of Stratics or don't check it that often. Which leaves us needing ways to reach players ingame.

So, how do we do that?

One way is chat. I don't particularly favor this method, because I can see it leading to a real pissing match between those that hate the Fel ruleset and whoever's chatting about coming to Siege. I think the "chat" approach may be doomed from the outset because of that.

A different (but effective) way that I saw used on Pacific last year by Atlantic representatives, was by dropping books around banks, moongates, etc... (you know, like the gold sellers use to advertise their wares)... Yes, we all get sick of seeing those books - but I do think that players take to time to see the title before they ignore the books - and that's exactly where we want to be. Atlantic did a great campaign this way, and so could we... I (Frost) will volunteer right now as a representative to drop books (or whatever we decide to do) on Pacific. I have lots of resources there for duplicating books or doing whatever is needed. Now, who'll step up for other shards?

Finally, what should be in those books? Links to Stratics Siege? Info about guilds? (We need to have a contest for deciding the title of those books, since you have just one chance - with a great title - to get someone to actually pick the book up and read it). You tell me (and not just you, Spiffy, all those reading here)... Let's get some more input here please..... (Don't make me name names for not participating)... ;)

#9 startle, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  10. Spiffykeen

I can make books on Atlantic, I think "Siege Perilous Open House" is fairly short, sweet, and self-explanatory. I think between those, a Uhall post, and advertisement on UOradio we'd be covering a fairly large amount of players.

11. startle

Ok, you've got Atlantic and I've got Pacific... We need others on other shards now... Not sure about that title, need more input there....

12. York_Siege

York_Siege Seasoned Veteran

What, .. uhh.. yeah,... no... What?...

13. startle

It's only 10 posts York, you'll just have to read it again.... ;)

14. Lai Tash

Lai Tash Adventurer

Can do on Europa.

15. startle

Excellent Lai Tash... Now that leaves quite a few shards that need volunteers. It won't be a huge demand on your time... Probably just recalling around and placing books in strategic locations, once we settled on dates, title and content for these Siege book ads ....

#15 startle, Dec 16, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  16. Kattasrophe

Nothing But Trouble

I can Do Cheseapeake..

17. startle

What would we do without you, Katt.... ;)
    Keep 'em coming folks....

#17 startle, Dec 16, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
    Kattasrophe likes this.
  18. startle

If you know people ingame that you think might want to be a part of this, then don't forget to tell them about this thread...

19. startle

Need more volunteers for the rest of the shards... If you people want to get some new blood in here, then let's try together.... A few mins of your time is all that's needed.

#19 startle, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  20. York_Siege

York_Siege Seasoned Veteran

I will help you guys however i can, but , you probably already knew that...