1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

EC and latest patch

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Ashlynn_L, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Ashlynn_L

Ashlynn_L Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Ever since the latest patch that says it has fixed the crash to desktop thing, I have noticed a few issues.

My comp is not high end, it only has 1gb of RAM. I have noticed a couple of things. The first is that the EC doesn't consume as much RAM (yay!). The second is I seem to get a "you are running low on virtual memory" error everytime I play for more than a few hours. I never used to get this. It gets to the point where I have to reboot after playing because things like Firefox won't even load.

I am curious as to what other people's experience is and whether they have noticed similar issues. I sort of get the impression that any "fix" was to just make the client consume more virtual memory but I am not knowledgeable enough to know if something like that is true.

2. Dermott of LS

Dermott of LS UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran

With 8 gig of RAM and a Tb hard drive, I can't say I've run into any memory issues.

I have noticed a bit more lag when moving things around, filling BODs or piloting a boat, not a lot mind you, but just enough to be noticeable.

Also seems like the "You Cannot Pick That Up" bug has gotten worse or more touchy as well (Thanks to Pinco at least we have a button to handle the issue).

3. Barok

Barok Grand Inquisitor

After a few hours I often find the Enhanced Client using more than 1G of ram, so if that is all the physical ram you have, you are more than likely using the pagefile a lot.

4. Cloak&Dagger

Cloak&Dagger Guest

The EC should use your ram first, but since you have such a small amount (and I am sure you have other things running) it has to use the page file, since it will continue to use it endlessly.....it will eventually use the whole thing and thus you will run out. You should consider getting more ram (at least 3gbs) or increasing your page file dramatically.

5. Mapper

Mapper Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Do you run Windows 7? I wouldn't run it on a machine unless it has a minimum of 2GB of RAM personally.

6. Ashlynn_L

Ashlynn_L Lore Master

It did consume a lot of my RAM. But this problem has only begun occurring as of the latest patch. Before, it would just eat up 500-700mb. Now it consumes half that for me but gives me a low virtual memory error after playing for a while and when I close down UO, a lot of things grind to a halt. =P

Also, getting new RAM for this computer is expensive as it is an old motherboard. And I am getting a new one sometime before christmas anyway so there's little point spending the money on that.

7. Merion

Merion Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Maybe you should change the size of your swap file - set it from automatic to high number, 8Gb or something.

Just guessing here, tho.