1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Edible lobster...

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Sunseri, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Sunseri

Sunseri Journeyman

...why do we not have this? Put it in the barbecue tab and let us have seafood.

Dot_Warner, MalagAste and Valura like this.
  2. Sunseri

Sunseri Journeyman

Since I am starting the topic of what's not on the chefs' menu, I would like to ask why we only get ribs off of such animals as bulls, cows, and pigs? What a huge waste of meat. I would like to have some chuck steak and sirloin. Lambs...legs only? I want a rack of lamb, please. :)

3. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

My character prefers to eat his meat uncooked... You know you get ribs off dragons too right as well as the deer?

But now that we can make coffee and tea and many alcoholic things...

I think expanding the food menu is in order. How about some Orcish dishes? Gargoyles I hear like Horse. We can get pixie legs and unicorn ribs.. How about eatting them? Kinda think I'd like Monkey. Alligator? Maybe we ought to try Boura and Gammen. Ribs from the Gammen I think would look a lot like Fred Flintstone eatting those Brontosaurus ribs. We should have ribs like that.

I'd like to see Camels and Elephants in the game. I imagine elephants like a land boat. Something you can carry a bunch of people on overland. Could you imagine doing a champ spawn from the back of an elephant with 5 friends?

Vor likes this.
  4. Sunseri

Sunseri Journeyman

All great ideas. I really like the elephant idea. I can totally see me and some friends rolling into a Lord Oaks champ spawn on something like this...

5. MalagAste

Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

6. Angel of Sonoma

Angel of Sonoma Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

why clutter the game (code) with food that serves no purpose? unless it adds a buff or can be fed to pets i think it should all be deleted.

Capt. Lucky likes this.
  7. whiterabbit

whiterabbit Stratics Legend
    Professional Premium Stratics Veteran Supporter Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter PITMUCK

lets makes cooks viable. make you lose some stats (temp) if you dont eat!!!

old gypsy likes this.
  8. Dot_Warner

Dot_Warner Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran Britain [BRIT]

Its 18 years too late to add in negatives it you don't eat, if they did it now the pancakes would be intense.

Make food viable by adding in small positives for staying well-fed...
    • small damage boosts
    • small passive HP regen boost
    • small stamina regen boost
    • etc
    Then throw in some quests for cooks. Delivering food to Paws, catering parties, etc.

9. MalagAste

I think it would be nice if it also added a small boost to skill gain, not only on you but on your pet too. Only makes sense. Well fed and not hungry clears the mind for learning.

10. Sunseri

Sunseri Journeyman

It would serve a purpose for me. The game I play includes more than champ hunts and farming mobs. It surely not be "clutter" for me at all.

11. Sunseri

Sunseri Journeyman

The chef side of me would completely agree with this idea, but the melee warrior side would not want to have to carry 50 stones worth of food around with me to champ spawns and mob farming. I think that any additional edible food should be cosmetic only. If temporary stat loss is introduced from not eating, it should be on a timer that covers a real life day or more, and not based on what actions we take during that day.

12. Sunseri

Sunseri Journeyman

I would like to see this, but what I would want to add to the idea is that there would be 'entree' type meals introduced to the chef menu. Lobster would be one of the entrees. These entrees would give the small boost to skill gain. In other words, eating an entrée would be much better than eating ten loaves of bread to make yourself full.

13. whiterabbit

Professional Premium Stratics Veteran Supporter Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter PITMUCK

used bees how food werked

14. Dot_Warner

No, no it didn't. Food never did a damn thing for skill gain or fizzle rates. That urban myth keeps popping up, but Draconi confirmed it was BS many years ago.

Sunseri and Lord Frodo like this.
  15. whiterabbit

well it should
    *pees ona herz footz* for spoiling himz myth

old gypsy likes this.
  16. Dot_Warner

*"pats" the goblin on the head with her bladed staff*

Oopsie...did that lop off part of an ear? Hmm.. it adds character...

DJAd likes this.
  17. whiterabbit

OWIE !!!!

DJAd likes this.
  18. Merus

Merus Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran CasteoftheForgotten

I actually disagree with this... I think what it should say is Draconi said it was never deliberately coded to do anything. We all know there are little ghosts in the code... How some characters have a more natural luck with RNG, how sometimes a 120 skill melee warrior can wiff a mongbat 3 swings in a row, or a stuck skill cursor gets fixed when you honor a mob and kill it... I think food did and still does have a similar effect... not all the time, but sometimes when something in the code gets a little sidetracked I think eating somehow has the ability to reset it. Not intended but happens none the less....

old gypsy and whiterabbit like this.
  19. Speranza

Speranza Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

You must have misunderstood him, because when I started in 1997 I did not make a mage because of needing both reagents AND food.

20. Speranza

Speranza Slightly Crazed

You are talking about UO right? Because there are many many many items in game that have no purpose and we even have forums dedicated to trading them back and forth.

Lord Frodo likes this.
  21. Dot_Warner

No, you didn't. Food has NEVER mattered in UO like it did in the single player Ultimas, its always been urban myth that its had any effect. People thinking being well-fed improved their play was just wishful thinking.

22. whiterabbit

WELLS IT SHOULD
    COOKS NEEDS SUM LUB

old gypsy likes this.
  23. MalagAste

They were given a GIANT 3 tiered cake larger than your character what more do you want?

Suppose next you'll want to eat it too! But wait it's often bugged and you can't take pieces off it. Nevermind then!

24. whiterabbit

laufs so cooks demoted to deco?

25. MalagAste

You can make fishy pies. Is that deco?

26. whiterabbit

nobuddy buys dem and dey expensive to makes

old gypsy and Dot_Warner like this.
  27. Dot_Warner

Exactly! Add in the time it takes to get a sufficient supply of fishsteaks to the cost of the special ingredients (which you have to sail to the sea market to buy) and your investment outweighs your ability to make a profit.

28. BrianFreud

BrianFreud Lead Wiki Mod & Doer of Crazy Things
    Professional Wiki Editor Wiki Moderator Campaign Supporter

Make it more useful than the small fish though... does anyone actually use those, or is it just fishermen eating them to clean out our packs?

Lord Frodo likes this.
  29. whiterabbit

clean our packs

BrianFreud likes this.
  30. MalagAste

Just eat them as I get them to keep my pack empty... they only last a fraction of time anyway it's not like they are actually "useful".

Sunseri, whiterabbit and BrianFreud like this.
  31. Sunseri

Sunseri Journeyman

I was thinking about my OP and I think I have come up with a workable idea that could be good. I would make anatomy, and maybe animal lore, come into play as a way to get better cuts of meat from a buck or bull. At GM or better anatomy, the character would have a good chance to get higher end meat such as sirloin, chuck or shank. As it stands now, we are only taking 12% of the total possible meat from a cow. The diagram below shows what possible meat options we could get from farm-type animals.

[​IMG]

Zuckuss likes this.
  32. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox

Food did, and still does? restore stamina - I guess this has pretty much been replaced by stamina leech property on weapons. Maybe I imagined it, but my char always seemed to take more damage when stamina slipped down, and eating certainly helped then.

33. whiterabbit

HUGS

old gypsy likes this.
  34. old gypsy

old gypsy Grand Poobah
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Patron PITMUCK

Well, I'm an old UO chef who recently gave away my house and 99% of my stuff. I currently keep what's left in a classic 7x7, only because I don't have the heart to finally close my account yet. I just don't foresee sticking around too much longer, though, considering the fact that players like me feel pretty useless in today's UO. Whether or not eating was ever beneficial in the past isn't as important as the fact that many players once believed it was, which made it fun to play a chef. When the role of player-created food was reduced to zero-value deco, the chefs become effectively obsolete. I would love to see food become truly useful for the majority of players. Needless to say, I'm not holding my breath waiting for that to happen.

Zuckuss likes this.
  35. Merus

Merus Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran CasteoftheForgotten

I've always thought it would be a good idea to expand on the tasty treat idea for pets. Also similar to fish pies...

Let GM cooks create "enhanced treats" for pets to give them slayer bonus/vulnerability.

"Garlic enfused" = undead slayer
    "Fey laced" = deamon slayer (fey wings use??)
    Some fancy chef could prolly make a nice list!

Win/win for tamers and cooks!

Kyronix likes this.
  36. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox

My chef is quite busy actually, she makes fish pies for my various characters and dyes for their gear. Today I made a three tier cake and dyed it with a dark red natural dye - it looked very much like chocolate cake.

Sunseri likes this.
  37. Zuckuss

Zuckuss Order | Chaos
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni K^S

I will say this for the benefit of both UO and any friends of yours whose game-play may be dampened by your departure.

The game will be what you make it. Get out there, play with friends, or make new ones. There is still plenty to do, still much to discover. It is entirely possible to think that you don't have the heart for it anymore, but then to try something new or outside of your comfort zone and find a lot that you have missed in UO. I've been there myself. The magic is indeed still there. You just have to (re)discover it. If you don't know where to begin, you are welcome to come play with us on Catskills.

38. old gypsy

old gypsy Grand Poobah
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Patron PITMUCK

It works if you enjoy playing other characters of your own that use those items. My chefs (I have two) are my favorites and I no longer enjoy hunting (much less fighting). I'm an oddball in UO, I guess. *shrugs*

These days I also prefer to limit my time spent in game to just doing what I like best.

whiterabbit likes this.
  39. Capt. Lucky

Capt. Lucky Babbling Loonie

Lets not make cooking a viable necessity at this point. My crafters are pretty much maxed out needing to carry 45 music and silly stuff. Now with arms lore and imbuing and all it's too much even for 2 crafters.

40. whiterabbit

totally agree

Speranza likes this.
  41. MalagAste

Get a soulstone or 3.... I personally don't mind the realisticness of a character needing to eat. And honestly no one would need to having cooking... you can create food with a mage or buy it from an NPC it's not that spendy.

42. Merlin

Merlin The Enchanter
    Moderator Professional Campaign Patron UWF

My two cents on what eating should affect:
    Positive: if you eat, you should get a small passive HP Regen bonus
    Negative: if you don't eat, you should fizzle more on casting spells or miss hits more for melee/archers.

If you want other bonuses... eat a fish pie. I'm surprised how unaware so many players are about fish pies.

whiterabbit likes this.
  43. MalagAste

So am I... Fish pies are great! Especially for mages.

Merlin likes this.
  44. Gamer_Goblin

So long as you aren't having to eat every 5 minutes or get some gathering of players around a dinner table to make a skilled dinner focus.

Victim of Siege likes this.
  45. Valura

Valura Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I love my chef. Anything that adds to her menu and repetoire will be most welcome. Even though most players are aware that the food does little to improve their skills, and only has that instant stamina replenishment that Petra noted, I always find that players will eat the food I make and drink the drinks I prepare. I guess we are all seeking that extra level of immersion whether we are RPers or otherwise. Whom could it hurt to give some of the food a small but long lasting buff. I would be delighted if players were seeking out a stash of my food before heading off to fight mobs or each other.

whiterabbit likes this.