1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Effects of hit spell effects

Discussion in 'UO Warrior' started by Gellor, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Gellor

Gellor Guest

I'm trying to get some information about hit spell effects... my main interest is in how they relate to bows but all info is good.

First, I've seen it posted numerous times that spell effects(lightning, fireball, etc) are treated as if they are casted with 80 Eval. Would it be correct to say I can goto the mage damage table and plug in 80 eval to determine the damage output of the hit spell?

Related to the above, how is velocity damage computed? And what type of damage is velocity?

Second, I've read and been told that some of the spell effects cause "lag". Can anybody clarify what spells do this and what ones don't?

2. Diomedes Artega

Diomedes Artega Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

The hitspell magery damage table I cannot answer for damage calculations. I do not know offhand.

As far as the hit spell lag as you put it, there can be a slight delay when the hit lag kicks in on an enemy. The delay is worse depending on the quality of your computer and your connection speed.

Hit fireball, hit magic arrow and hit lightning can all cause a slight delay, COUPLED with having a high % on them. For example, I have a kryss with 50 HLD, 46 stamina, 35 DI, and 50 hit lighting on it and the hit lightning effect I swear kicks in even more than half the time.

3. Gellor

Gellor Guest

I wish I could remember which ones... but there was one or two that did cause actual lag when they went off.

For example, if you had two guys running and the archer was moving shot and one of the lag spell effect went off, he would start loosing steps on his target.

4. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

velocity damage is computed by distance away its +3 per tile

5. Gellor

Gellor Guest

Thank you storm... very good info :D

6. Lightning and fireball.

7. Lynk

Lynk Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I only notice lag with fireball on moving shots. Never noticed it with hit lightning.

8. Diomedes Artega

Diomedes Artega Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I agree as far as this. Did the OP want to know just about archery or melee as well?

9. Gellor

Gellor Guest

While my main interest is archery, all info would be good under this topic:thumbsup:

10. Really? Lightning has always been the worst one for me.

11. Spellbound

Spellbound Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Might the delays be related to your warrior's amount of faster casting or fcr?

12. No, it's a hit spell on the weapon. That's not affected by FC/FCR.

13. Farsight

Farsight Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

It's also definitely a display bug, since if you keep the motion button down, you keep moving. You just can't see where you're going.

14. Lynk

Lynk Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Ya never noticed any delay with lightning.. granted I don't have a moving shot bow with lightning.

I used to use a pretty sick kryss with hit lightning and I never had any lag when it went off.

In fact the only time I ever experience hit spell lag is from a moving shot and fireball. I never notice any lag with a melee weapon hit spell.

15. This is what I usually do. I'm normally about 5 or so tiles from where the spell went off once the game catches up with me.

16. Taylor

Taylor Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
    Professional VIP Stratics Veteran Supporter Alumni Campaign Benefactor Alumni

If I want immediate hitspell damage, I look for hit lightning. If I want a slight delay (annoy mages), hit fireball.

17. Green Meanie

Green Meanie Guest

fireball and magic arrow cause delay. If your using a bow you have to lighting is your best bet. The only exception is if your using say a magic short bow to disrupt mages in that case you want fireball. On melle weapons damage wise its lighting harm fireball in order becouse the harm is caled as if they are right ontop of you

edit volocity damage varrys by range ive gotten as much as 13 damage vs a all 70s suit for max range with a magic short bow. Used to kill ppl with lighting strike spam with a lighting volicity bow just think about it 35 crit avg11 volc 13 lighting = 59 damage at 1.25 swing speed for 3 manna