1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Elections, Governors, citizens and politics

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Hattori Hanzo, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran Alumni TnT/TnA

I don't know how the election system even affects me, but it sure provided entertainment the last two days.

RL in general and huge personal life changes have kept me off the boards and out of the game for the most part over the last few years. Trying to return, I played regularly Oct-Dec 2012, only to miss almost all of 2013.

So it went mostly unnoticed when I logged in the day before yesterday and heard there was a tight race for Governor of Britain. Knowing nothing of the significance of this election, I payed it little mind. Until yesterday when I logged in and was immediately asked to vote. It was a lot like one of those November roto-calls one receives before a national election. Like an election alarm clock, telling me to get off my butt and head for the polls.

I dutifully completed my civic responsibilities on all of my characters with the sort of stupefied pride I get when I vote in my RL local election with no real expectation it will affect anything. Then as I watched the returns coming in on alliance chat, I realized this was a big deal to some of my pixel friends and enemies (the polarities of which change from time to time).

Seeing the reaction in game and on the boards has renewed my faith in UO and the population of SP. I now have renewed energy for the game. Thanks politicians of Britain!

Pignasty, Dacatge, startle and 3 others like this.
  2. Aelfric

Aelfric Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

That's great, Hatt. I agree. I think that things are heating up on siege again. Glad we're both here for it.

3. Kat

Kat Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

Hear, hear!

4. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

I like the way Alcor does the political reporting. I see it for what it is. A parody and really very well done in a tongue in cheek sort of way.

5. startle

startle Siege... Where the fun begins.
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Gilfane

Agreed... Alcor is a wonder with the pen, and I for one - always look forward to reading his reports.

Oh, and welcome back - again - Hattori Hanzo
    ;)

#5 startle, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  6. Dacatge

Dacatge Adventurer

We stirin tings up?

Captain Sureno

7. Leaf

Leaf Sage
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

Ok all newly elected! First congratulations! Now that the elections are over, who's going to drop the price in the towns for jewels needed for imbuing! ;)

Hattori Hanzo likes this.
  8. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran Alumni TnT/TnA

Good point Leaf. Hold those elected officials accountable. There is always another election on the horizon.

9. Sprago

Sprago Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend IPKU

leaf im not sure if you really think that goveners can change town prices or not, but they cant those are still only effected by faction. the only real thing the govener can do is open a trade deal that grants there citizens with special stackable abilities. or grant costumizable titles.

10. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Who ever is governor of britain should get them to put the dark father back on the bank to make the ugly bank design whole again!!!

Victim of Siege likes this.
  11. Leaf

Leaf Sage
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

I didn't know that Sprago. Thank you for the info. I knew that Factions use to control the prices but when I came back to UO and seen we had elections I just thought (hoped) that maybe the governors may have some input. The towns are set so high I won't be shopping for a very long time.

12. Dacatge

Dacatge Adventurer

we are trying to fix prices in town hope we get them fixed soon

Leaf likes this.