1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Enforcement Ever of Buying/Selling for Real money?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Philly, Jun 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Philly

Philly Journeyman
    The Valorian Knights

It saddens me to watch people quit and during there process all that seems to matter to them is getting as much real money for there items as possible. Friendships don't matter....long time helpers don't matter, the history of the game doesn't matter to them.
    As I type this I know of at least 3 people liquidating there assets and selling the billions they have made.
    You may ask why this crazy women is going on about this. Well I have always paid my monthly bill almost 18 years now and never have I bought nor sold gold.
    I have helped 100's of players in this game mostly with my scribing. A player in game has one of my old books and is disgruntled with IDOC's and selling off billions in gold and rares. I have asked for a old prepatch book that was made by me. But they wont budge. I even had to do a name change and lost out on a guild I was in for 10 years due to them taking my name. Needless to say they were not a scribe. So lost my name , my guild, my rep and well I'm saddened. People can make a living off this game and are selfish. UO should of made names unique and be harder on people making a living off this game. While I'm at it the dupers too that have ruined alot. I can't be the only one right?

2. THP

THP Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Real money governs the price of item ''ingame gold price''...

example
    transfer token etc if they cost $20 to buy in real store .... then people want minumn 25 cents a mill so the ingame price is set at 80m ...

always as and always will do......

the biggest failing- gold duping and easy laundering through vendors

while ever some folks want something they will get it...and the fact that gold as been duped so heavily...hencee the devs finally and i mean finaly getting rid of the basic 1m check.....thanks the gods....yes yes some will cry...but they can dupe items too....alas gold was the dupe of choice as it could be laundered through the vendors/[less chance of being caught i guess]....sad but so many billions were duped and many many billoins deleted by the devs too....hopefully the new digital gold system will halp steady the ingame price of items better- in time that is....

Philly likes this.
  3. Longtooths

Longtooths Supreme Commander
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend LTC

Transfer tokens are 50 -60 mil on ATL....just sayin'

4. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

a greedy idocer ? no way :p i agree thats kinda low to not give you your book back, but also cant blame people for buying / selling gold. In the games current state, many would not play if they couldnt buy gold, many wouldnt play if they couldnt sell gold. Very natural when you have a game thats almost 20 years old with a large gap between those who have build up too much virtual wealth in game and those who are very casual or coming back to the game and want to get into the game quickly rather than just save up gold for weeks, months, or years to get what they want. i agree that its sad tho when the lure of RL $ overshadows old friendships. if that happens, the time a player spent playing has truly been wasted and no amount of cash could make up for that.

#4 Smoot, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  5. Merus

Merus Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran CasteoftheForgotten

Ok, maybe I'm missing something... But if this player is liquidating UO stuff and won't give you this book... Why not just buy it?

6. Klapauc

Klapauc Sage
    Stratics Veteran

As soon as real money is involved, people start to dupe, script and cheat as much as possible. So many people did quit exactly because of that.
    And what is the first thing that mr. clever new player does when starting the game ? Yes, right, giving those people that actually activly ruin the game real money for their efforts.

Philly likes this.
  7. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

or buy items off the UO store to sell, specially made in token form for that purpose (or else many like mythic / transfer tokens could just be a code like other games) Of course then we get into the issue that yes because these items are tangible in game they can now be duped. its always been a mess. in 97 im sure the devs had no idea such problems would exist in modern gaming.

Philly and Lord Frodo like this.
  8. Scribbles

Scribbles Babbling Loonie
    Professional Alumni

@Philly im not quitting, im selling all the excess crap... The book will be yours if i ever quit; Like i have said at least 100 times.

Longtooths likes this.
  9. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

This is like a Catch 22, the sellers are taking advantage of having something the people want (instant gratification) and the buyers are using the greed of the sellers to get the same thing (instant gratification).
    UO says you are not suppose to sell items for $$$ but UO sells items for $$$.
    I remember watching E-Bay and Castles going for $2,500+ and EA did nothing and Gold went for $100 fer mil and EA did nothing. UO has tried to close a barn door that was left open for far to long and not only did the cows get away but their calves have grown up too, it has been that long.
    Why are there RMTer in the first place? Well maybe if UO sold more than 1 ea of an item and sold gold and other items that are sold on the RMT sites they could put them out of business but before UO could do any of this they need to fix bugs that allow duping. Duping has been going on for as long as I can remember, we need better QA or a good reward system for reporting these bugs.
    UO has been around long enough that if it wants to survive it needs to compete with the RMTers and get in on the cash cow. Make a 720 skill token and charge whatever the market will support, new players really do not stand a chance getting up to speed. Sell resources, sell anything that RMT sites sell a lot of and make money for UO. I would rather see UO get in on this and keep UO going then watch the RMTers cash in on everybody's need for instant gratification.

10. Spock's Beard

Real money transactions take place in every MMO that still has anyone playing it. If UO figured out some magical way to stop it, it would be the first.

11. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

NOT STOP get in on it.

12. Philly

Philly Journeyman
    The Valorian Knights

I appreciate all the comments and feed back on this situation. I am the rare bird. As I said I have never sold or bought with irl money I only pay my monthly fee. If I can't afford it I don't buy it. I recently bought that rare color sphinx from a person quitting for 100 million. That was gold that took me months if scribing to save. I love BLUE! When I told the seller who is converting all sale to selling UO gold, He said "Must be a hard grind my friend" Thats my point. It's a game. I hear people yell all the time over various things "IT's JUST A GAME" but very few really treat it like a game. Just saying....I gave away more free books to newbies night *smiles*

13. Merlin

Merlin The Enchanter
    Moderator Professional Campaign Patron UWF

As others have pointed out, it's a double edged sword. I'm one of those folks who came back and after taking months to build up my first two toons, decided I was going to go the route of using Mythic tokens and buying gold through RLT from some of the more well known brokers. If it wasn't for that option, the grind to create seven fully equipped and skilled up characters simply would have been too much. Especially during 'tax season' when I am busiest at work, if I am lucky if I can find all of five hours a week to play, I don't want to spend that limited time doing basic low-level grinding. I want to maximize play time and RLT allow that to happen for me.

Anyway, good luck getting your book back some day. The silent majority appreciates what you do - don't forget that.

Philly and Lord Frodo like this.
  14. Jynxx

Jynxx Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter ShadowStorm

Ahhh, those were good times.

I bought a motorcycle with the money I made selling UO stuff on eBay.

Vor, DJAd and Lord Frodo like this.
  15. THP

THP Stratics Legend

yes it happened ....back in the days when all shards were bursting...

16. Jirel of Joiry

Jirel of Joiry Certifiable

:rant2::yell::cursing: :fight::twak: :slap::pie::flame:
    Okay now that I have successfully had a fit in smileys and abused the privilege.
    People like you make me SICK! I do hope you remembered to report you extra income to the IRS.
    You wouldn't wanna end up like Markee Dragon, busted by the IRS for tax evasion. :devil:

That dude got nasty, stinking, filthy, rotten rich from selling in game items and currency. Not just for UO either, oh no he sold them all EQ, Diablo, WoW and many more. Heh heh heh On the subject of WoW he's no longer selling WoW stuff because Blizzard banned him permanently.

Why does it make mad? Cause while people like me bust their asses at real jobs and put up with real-life-work-BS to pay for UO. People like you sit their butts on their comfy sofa and exploit the hell outta the game. You laugh at us and call us Noobs. I ain't no lily-white angel; I've bought gold. I hate myself for doing it, too.

I guess it don't matter, but gold/item selling is like a pandora's box.

Philly likes this.
  17. Governor Ma Nerva

Governor Ma Nerva Adventurer
    Governor

i personally have never bought or sold any uo items. However I can not judge or scorn those that do. It's a choice. Uo does not sale gold online, only items,Reason being they would be setting the bar so to say on gold prices. Which could be considered inside trading IMO.
    As far as this illusive book in question, anyone with zero skill can copy a book, Have you not asked them to cut a copy of this book? or is there something i am missing about this book? As far as contributing, anyone whom has bought a item in game from a vendor has probably helped the outside sale of gold and items off line. still not saying its right or wrong.but, its a visous circle that will never end.

In response to the its a game thought. Uo is much more then that, it is friends, family, community, and a release from daily real life pressures.
    Something that is important in todays real life. Unfortunetly some people are Villains in the sandbox. It may not be nice, but thats their choice. It's our choice as to weather we interact or dismiss these players. you get what you put into it. Keep the faith. all hail uo!

Lord Frodo likes this.
  18. Merlin

Merlin The Enchanter

Free market entrepreneurship shouldn't be attacked just because someone else had a good idea and made profit off of it. People like that should be celebrated for their ingenuity - not derided.

Lord Frodo likes this.
  19. Longtooths

So as a species we have decided that the greatest judge of a person is their wealth. We give every person, man woman and child a score based on their wealth, their propensity to continue to make wealth, and consistency in transitioning that wealth. Our whole lives revolve around consuming and spending of wealth.

We are taught to be envious of those that have more wealth than us. We are conditioned to think that wealth is the true worth of a person. The majority of people have swallowed this pill hook line and sinker. They are consumed with acquiring wealth as a means of flaunting their success. The more you have the better a person you are. In this group there are all different levels of people based on their personal level of monetary wealth.

The people at the low end of the spectrum want more. In order to get there they need to acquire wealth from those at the other end of the spectrum that already have it. Those people with the disposable wealth/income (Income above what they need to sustain themselves comfortably) at the top of the spectrum, are willing to trade this disposable wealth/income for time, convenience, joy, accessibility, ease of access etc. And the people at the low end of the spectrum are more than happy to facilitate this transaction for them.

There is another subset of the low spectrum that rises up with this new found revenue stream and essentially either streamlines, mass produces or cuts their cost thus increasing their profits. This is natural and to be expected. Often times we criticize these people as flaunting the system when in reality they are the entrepreneurs that the lower spectrum wishes they were.

Why do I say all this?...

So long as you have this real world dichotomy, where people are graded and categorized according to their monetary wealth, you will never have a game where players do not deal in cash. Period.

**For the record, I have purchased gold…..But I did not inhale….Just sayin’

Sunseri and AtlanticRealtor like this.
  20. Jynxx

Jynxx Journeyman

Okay, calm down. I didn't get rich or anything, I was just one guy who sold off stuff I personally worked for (have never used a 3rd party program for anything, ever) before quitting UO. It was just a bunch of auctions on eBay and nothing more. I came back a few years later and reworked for everything I have again. That was part of the fun of returning.

Me reminiscing about those days was more about the fond memories of how popular UO was. So much so that people were plunking down cold hard cash for more of it. That may still happen now, but the scale difference from then and now is saddening.

You've got a hell of a double standard there, though. That rage against people who sell in game items, only to be followed up with 'I'm no angel; I've bought gold'

There's no sellers without buyers. Seeing those high prices on eBay made it an attractive decision to sell off the things I worked hard for during my first 4 years of UO. You can be ashamed that you've bought things, but I'm not ashamed I sold them.

I even found an old pic of the bike I bought! :devil:

vtr5.jpg

Lord Frodo, Merlin, Kirthag and 3 others like this.
  21. Vor

Vor Grand Inquisitor

I was expecting a Harley! Still nice though.

Jynxx likes this.
  22. Philly

Philly Journeyman
    The Valorian Knights

FYI hah I am retired from the IRS and my Hubby still there a manager in Accounts. So yes please do report your UO earnings!

Lord Frodo and Captn Norrington like this.
  23. Old Vet Back Again

Old Vet Back Again Slightly Crazed

I would like to believe that everyone misses those times, not the price/profit but the population/popularity. I for sure miss that every single day. PvP, PvM it was all so much more enjoyable back then because you could run around and actually see people.

Angel of Sonoma, Jynxx and Lord Frodo like this.
  24. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

since you are a pro, what are the facts for reporting? i was under the impression that gifts do not have to be reported. correct?

25. AtlanticRealtor

AtlanticRealtor ICQ 647752375
    REALTOR

No!!
    They know everything, Paypal DO report to IRS...If your PP account is Verified and All, that means they have your SS# and all!!, meaning they will report all $$ that came in and went out!!

26. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

they only report if its over 20k. thats wasnt my question tho.

27. Merlin

Merlin The Enchanter

If you have to report your earnings, shouldn't we also be deducting expenses as business costs? ;)

If net earnings were immaterial, likely no need to report anything. This is coming from a CPA.

28. Merlin

Merlin The Enchanter

Maybe I'm wrong or it changed since first starting up, but I thought it was anything over $9,999.99 that you have to report.

29. Jirel of Joiry

Jirel of Joiry Certifiable

I was in business for myself as a contractor, I had to report everything. :mad2: Yes, I got to deduct expenses, including gas and so much per mile for travel. :scholar:
    However when the CPA was done I ended up paying every stinking year! :twak: I didn't make that much, either. Taxes suck.

30. Philly

Philly Journeyman
    The Valorian Knights

Yes Gifts are sometimes reported. Last check if the gift is at least 10k it has to be reported. Also UO income is not a gift it would have to be reported no matter the amount.

Smoot likes this.
  31. Philly

Philly Journeyman
    The Valorian Knights

You would still need to submit a self employment form( Schedule C )to show its a wash. IRS will not assume your expenses for you.

Smoot likes this.
  32. Tina Small

Tina Small Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran 4H

Smoot and Philly like this.
  33. Merlin

Merlin The Enchanter

I believe it's a little more than 10K. Something like 12-13 when I took the CPA exam just couple years back.

And why would it have to be reported no matter what?

#33 Merlin, Jul 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
    Smoot likes this.
  34. Aran

Aran INFRACTION INFRACTION INFRACTION!
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend -A-

Man I miss the days of selling UO stuff on eBay. Teenage me financed all his stupid real life hobbies with his video gaming.

Goldberg-Chessy likes this.
  35. Jynxx

Jynxx Journeyman

I didn't make *that* much!

Besides, I already have a big VTwin cruiser. The rocket was something fun when I wanted to change up the ride.

20150208_174636.jpg

Longtooths and Vor like this.
  36. Goldberg-Chessy

Goldberg-Chessy Crazed Zealot

Based upon your OP, your reasons for being against the buying and selling of in game items for cash are petty and personal.
    :next:

37. Tina Small

Tina Small Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran 4H

38. TimberWolf

TimberWolf Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Origin can wipe out all third party selling companies when ever they want...that they dont tell us they don't want to. Any cpa or advanced business student with an understand of the game and of demand and supply systems could manage this game.....make it FTP and Triple revenue in 6 months. The powers to be dont want this.... They believe that the reason this game survives is because there is an underground economy. They might be right.....cause it sure isn't because of the exception customer service....lol

Scribbles likes this.
  39. Arcus

Arcus Grand Poobah

Maybe you have but not me and mine and my friends. You must live a shallow life.

Lord Frodo likes this.
  40. Longtooths

It is called a generalization....your troll skills are weak.

41. Merlin

Merlin The Enchanter

I'm pretty sure the quote about wealth is the truth. Because the greatest judge of a person sure ain't "love" or any of those hipsterish qualities.

Jynxx and AtlanticRealtor like this.
  42. Longtooths

I'd like to think that I treat people the same when it comes to wealth. Generally it is content of character and how they treat their fellow man that determines a persons worth to me.

43. Arcus

Arcus Grand Poobah

Love is "hipster"? Yea , ok.

And since when is generalizing about a negative trend in society a good thing? A few well known and so so well liked people in history have done thar much to the detriment of society.

44. TimberWolf

TimberWolf Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I am sorry...you are all wrong...the greatest judge of a person is breast size! :)

Jynxx and Keith of Sonoma like this.
  45. Riyana

Riyana Operations
    Administrator Moderator Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Campaign Patron

This thread is all over the place. Time to call it a day on this one.

Lord Frodo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.