1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Greetings Guest! Tonights Maintenance is complete and the Stratics Community Wiki is now live. Please see this thread for more details.
    Dismiss Notice

Estelle Getty of 'Golden Girls' dies at 84

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by SSniffleslam, Jul 22, 2008.

1. SSniffleslam

SSniffleslam Guest

Estelle Getty, the diminutive actress who spent 40 years struggling for success before landing a role of a lifetime in 1985 as the sarcastic octogenarian Sophia on TV's "The Golden Girls," has died. She was 84.

Getty, who suffered from advanced dementia, died at about 5:30 a.m. Tuesday at her Hollywood Boulevard home, said her son, Carl Gettleman of Santa Monica.

She was the character I liked the most on that show...and confess, I still watch it sometimes on late night TV....
  2. Elga

Elga Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Sep 12, 2003
    She was my favorite golden girl too. Golden Girls rules!
  3. Trish

Trish Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Oct 31, 2003
    Same here :( Even in interviews out of character. Classy lady.
  4. Pssst..... *looks over shoulder* *whispers* She was a great actress and had a hell of a part in the Golden Girls. But you didn't hear that from me.
  5. I loved her in 'Golden Girls' and in her cameo appearance in 'Mad About You.' She will be missed...:sad2:
  6. Flippers

Flippers Guest

That's sad news, but ironic that she died with a condition her character had a little of.
  7. She will be missed. This is sad news for the acting world.
  8. SSniffleslam

SSniffleslam Guest

It's okay...we won't think less of you if you admit you watched the show...lol
  9. It might have been on once in a while when I was channel surfing. But I would never stop and watch *looking away*.

Sorry can't cop to that one.

10. This is so sad, I loved her. She will be missed.