1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Event Comment

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Idico, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Idico

Idico Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

First one I have done for a while. Not a great turnout, but my observations:

Good:

1. EM takes time to actually have an event
    2. Everyone worked well together, no thieves and quick heals/rez's

Bad:
    1. Waste over 2 hours of limited game time to learn events only give event items around once per month (Per the EM)

As a fairly new returning old vet, I would never waste another minute with such an event. I appreciate the effort of those participating and the EM conducting the event. That said, the reward (which is why many (NOT ALL) would spend their time to hopefully earn one, is nonexistent 99% of the times. Pixie Crack cost UO check cashers nothing. Even a deed saying you completed the event with a date for god's sake.

Let me share one other thought: I left Uo for many games and 3 things made me return:

1. The community and my in-game friends
    2. The CHANCE to get a great item if you farm your tail off, do spawns, etc (many games, you know exactly what you can get and that gets old to me)
    3. The housing options (None have matched the utility of UO housing or the feeling of owning a non-instanced house in game)

In the end, I would NEVER spend another second at an event. Not trying to detract from those who just like to do stuff with groups, just an opinion!

V/R

Idico

2. imported_Falon of Eldor

Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

As a momento of this event, your last time at any EM events, and the silly goofball that I am:

[​IMG]

Tamergirl likes this.
  3. Tamergirl

Tamergirl Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

:) Not everyone attends events "Just" for the drop. Drops are nice yes, but some actually attend events for the (Shock!) Storyline, a change of pace from doing spawns, working skills, and various other reasons. oh..and Welcome back!

4. Idico

Idico Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

Ya, like I said...Not everyone looks for drops....there are those that do things like that in a hope you can get a drop. Finding out a drop only happens once a month is not good. Like farming for two hours to leave with nothing (not knowing there was no chance to get anything to begin with). No biggie. Just makes sense to me that a minimal reward chance would be easy to do and a side result would be more participation. There are many collectors on the shard. Thanks for the welcome back BTW!

Spiffykeen likes this.
  5. Idico

Idico Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

HEHE, thanks...I will be sure to put it with the nonexistent drop! hehe....Just trying to say why participation may be lower then what is possible. Oh well, would say that one less person would not make a difference...but we needed everyone we had!

6. Tjalle

Tjalle Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter Gilfane

For me the events are about defeating the threat or solving the mystery. That´s my "drop".

Unfortunately I had to leave early today after defeating the first Mega party pooper. Hope all went well after that.

7. Tazar

Tazar Guest

Looking back, it seems that there are about 2 EM events per month so a 50/50 chance that there will be drops. If there are 10 items that drop when they do have an item, that's pretty good odds to get something given the small shard population.

When you go to a champ-spawn, what are the odds of a [Replica} item dropping? I think the odds are much better at EM events, and I think those items are much more unique and rare than a replica that's been dropping for several years now.

just my .02.

8. Retlaw of Vesper

Retlaw of Vesper Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

Everyone plays for different reasons so this is just my opinion which has no more weight than any other.

That said I didn't even mean to participate at first. I saw Katt call out for some bandages, which I had some spare, and went to give her. Next thing you know I'm recruited to heal while fighting lower end spawn. Before I know it we are clearing the event 2+ hours later.

After each kill everyone runs to loot, and I just watch. Someone said after the fact but here is a small group of players, on a server where personal safety is a concern, that took down a powerful foe together ... and I was a part of it. Loot or not, that was awesome, and it is a shame people have played so long or became so powerful that maybe they no longer feel that sense of accomplishment and need a shiny for their time.

Don't get me wrong, I have 15 year old toons on production servers with plenty of loot. If there were items to be had I would gladly accept one. I've had the collecting fever, I know and understand. But I would still like to thank those who participated expecting a reward, only to get none, because due to your effort I was able to walk away with a memory that has already been shared today with friends and family.

That's why I play Siege, that's why I play UO.

#8 Retlaw of Vesper, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
    startle likes this.
  9. Flair

Flair Lore Keeper
    OrderOfDrunkenElders

Exactly... i was busy doing something else and also saw Katt call out in general chat so I figured i'd collect my dragon and go. I even wrote a story about it, so to me it's about the memories, not about an item.

startle likes this.
  10. Luka Melehan

Luka Melehan Certifiable
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Campaign Patron

wish I could have gone. I was totally tapped out. But...its also good to see old vets return.

11. Idico

Idico Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

again, I get why some of you like it. It is just not for me and I am sure many others may think the same. If that tweak would make more participate, it might be worth it. If max participation is not a goal, then my comments don't mean much I guess. Is what it is, no biggie

12. Sam

Sam Adventurer

I'm just mad that I never got any green beer!

Spiffykeen and Flair like this.
  13. Spiffykeen

Spiffykeen Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran Safe Haven

Amen Sam, Amen! When I got together with York for the first player event I worked on, I made tall straw hats for the harvest fest. At the end someone was like, can I HAVE this hat? omg yes! It cost me all of 10 cloth, and they were happy to have it.

It makes ya feel special to get somethin, green beer, a straw hat, a sash, a scroll with yer name on it. Whatever! It doesn't have to be a powerful weapon or an extra resist in a clothing slot that didn't have one before or anything earth shattering or unbalancing. A minimal reward, it can go a long way to making people show up. We know it might get stolen before we can send it away, it's all part of the hustle...