1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Ever wonder about the old guys/Devs?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Uriah Heep, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Where they are, what they are working on?
    Be nice to hear from em once in a while, like

Vex
    Oaks
    Hanse
    Speedman
    Mr Tact
    Wilki
    Adrick

and many more.

2. canary

canary Guest

Some more than others... :lick:

That said, I'm very curious where Hanse went... he still has a hostel in Malas, ya know. lol

3. Gildar

Gildar Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

4. Babble

Babble Guest

Isn't Speedman working on EQ2?

5. T'Challa

T'Challa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Ironwill
    Treefrog
    Firedog
    Calandryll
    Stellerex

the list goes on...

6. hawkeye_pike

hawkeye_pike Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

I wonder who of you guys still remember Designer Dragon? He was the lead designer of UO when the game was released, and created most of its artwork. I think, very much of the game is based on his ideas:

Designer Dragon

This is one person who really identified with the game and gave it its spirit. The game suffered from his loss.

7. Sabbath

Sabbath Guest

Don't forget Dave "CatHat" Brown [​IMG]

8. AdamD

AdamD Guest

9. speedman

speedman Guest

Indeed I am. I'm currently the Technical Director on EverQuest II and have helped launch all five expansions.

Me at MobyGames
    My Blog

Thanks for asking :)

10. Saunders

Saunders Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Hallo and a Happy New Year to you!

11. TheGrimmOmen

TheGrimmOmen UO Legend
    VIP Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

LOL! I was just going to say that you're a hooptie- hoo over there! Great to see your post and a Happy Holidays to you and your family!

12. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

IIRC, according to reports, Vex left UO to become a professional Poker player.

I still wonder if my showing Vex and some of the others at Gen Con one year (using their demo kiosks at the EA booth) the funky glitches in southern Haven, resulted in their decision to blow it up?

In which case, you can blame me for the blackrock....

13. GreyPawn

GreyPawn Guest

Jonathan "Vex" LeCraft went on to work as a Designer on WoW: Burning Crusade.
    Thomas "Hanse" Eidson works as a programmer on Star Wars Galaxies.
    Tim "MrTact" Keating went to work with SunSword at Heatwave, as mentioned above.
    Pete "Adrick" Warner also went on to work on Star Wars Galaxies and has since moved on to BioWare.

14. Duskofdead

Duskofdead Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Isn't the head dev of WOW a former dev of UO?

"Evocare", or something is his online/mmo persona.

15. AesSedai

AesSedai Guest

Yup, it looks like Evocare is the lead designer of WoW now.

Jonathan "Oaks" LeCraft yup, on WoW too.
    Michael "Vex" Moore yup, last I knew it was poker.
    Wilki I think got married and going to college again.
    Calandryll looks like he works/worked on LotRO.
    Stormwind is with BioWare/EA now (surely on the new Star Wars Old Republic game).

16. what about Binky ?

My favorites were always , Wilki , Draconi ,Grimm , Cathat ,Speedman, Mr Tact ( and anyone else who did the following) ,for the reasons that they would on many given times listen to the players , try to make our game better , work with player issues , and on many occasions do this on there own personal time ( or what appeared to be)..They made UO better....

:bowdown:

17. AesSedai

AesSedai Guest

Binky was working with Perpetual Entertainment (Gods & Heroes: Rome Rising & Star Trek Online). Not sure about now: see here.
    I'm sure he's still doing some good gaming stuffs unless he's chosen to move onto other things.
    He showed up for the 10th Anniversary of UO in Austin last year.

18. Duskofdead

Duskofdead Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Did Star Trek Online get cancelled or something? I heard whisperings and articles about it 1 1/2, 2 years ago, and really nothing since.

Regarding Evocare... as a former WOW player, I was embarrassed the guy had been head dev of UO. He has a cocky, I know-what's-best, you plebs are just the players, eat it and like it attitude about game design that fits so well with the WOW crowd but was so incongruous with what I remembered about the spirit of old UO's community when I played launch - '01.

When I was an active WOW player I watched some of the Blizzcon WOW development/strategy/pvp/patch change discussions that people put up on Youtube... and it practically felt like Evocare sitting up there as god, letting his flock know what he would be doing. In particular what irked me was that anytime a major issue (say, a whole class being in disuse because of hamfisted nerfs or poor gear itemization or mediocre, sub-par talents) that TONS of people in the game are aware of and talk about and ask about, he would blow off if it wasn't something he considered a problem or they were working on patching. Like "if I don't think it's a problem... it's not."

I guess I just don't like that attitude when it comes to things that are supposed to be community minded, group efforts, or give-and-takes. Like players and developers with MMO's.

19. Cyrah

Cyrah Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

No one remembers Tajima? One of the nicest people I have ever met.

I miss him, I do undertand why he left.

I miss Greywolfe! Wilki, my hero! CatHat my hero! And Jeremy too!

20. drinkbeerallday

drinkbeerallday Visitor

what about Evocare? he created Champ Spawns... or.. at least he seemed to be the lead on them.

edit: just read above, not surprised he is the lead for WoW, Champ Spawns have kept UO alive for many years.