1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Exceptional vs. non exceptional - Spellbooks

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Piotr, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Piotr

Piotr Stratic's Finest
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Patron

Has it been confirmed if Exceptional spellbooks have a better chance of getting higher mods?

I haven't been able to find any solid information about any kind of Exceptional bonus for spellbooks, besides speculations and unsubstantiated beliefs on the spellcasters forum. ;)

2. Leather Lucy

Leather Lucy Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I've never heard of any bonuses for exceptional spellbooks. I was always under the impression the higher your Magery skill, the higher the mods. Does Eval affect mods? Did Eval ever affect mods? I used to think it did but that's from years ago. I don't think I've ever actually read any 'real' information on these things, always speculation.

From personal experience I can't say I noticed a huge difference in amount or intensity of mods going from 115 Magery to 120.

Good luck with getting some info, I'd really like to know too.

3. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

4. Piotr

Piotr Stratic's Finest

So, why would one use a talisman with a high inscription exceptional bonus / low inscription bonus and thus waste scrolls from failed attempts, if it didn't effect the quality of the books?

5. Sauteed Onion

Perhaps to get the increased number of mods.

6. Piotr

Piotr Stratic's Finest

And you've got that assumption based on what?

Sauteed Onion likes this.
  7. Sauteed Onion

8. Piotr

Piotr Stratic's Finest

The number of mods should solely be based on your magery skill.

From Inscription Guide:

9. Sauteed Onion

I dunno then. Maybe people just like having their names on spellbooks. Or don't know any different. Personally, I only craft scrappers when i do bother with it, and you can't "exceptional" those, so just plain ol' Inscription Bonus is all I really look at. As far as loosing lots of scrolls when making batches of regular spell books it's usually so abstract and not in my current thought process to notice. The most tedious part of mass making books is just getting a large enough chunk of them together in the first place.

10. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

Eval never affected the mods to my knowledge. From my experience, exceptional crafted books provide no benefit other than bragging rights. Of course, a scrapper's compendium will never be marked, so scribes are forever screwed in that regard.

Leather Lucy and Barry Gibb like this.
  11. Piotr

Piotr Stratic's Finest

Well, if that's it, it would be nice to have confirmed. ;)

It makes sense, if the scrapper's compendium follows the same rules as spellbooks.

12. Gospel

Gospel Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Max magery + max inscription is the best you're going to get. There's really no need to analyze it past that.

13. Olahorand

Olahorand Slightly Crazed

It's only weird, if exceptional spellbooks come with less, lower or even no mods than a "normal" spellbook.

14. startle

startle Siege... Where the fun begins.
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Gilfane

It may be wierd, but my "scribe" is 120 Mage/ 100 Scribe - and her "exceptional" spellbooks are almost never her best...
    Just sayin....;)

15. Gospel

Gospel Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Are you taking into consideration your exceptional chance? I had heard a rumor from a pretty unreliable source that exceptional books have less/lower properties, and so I kept a close eye on it and it doesn't appear to be true.

Personally I say forget the normal books and give us our damn runic scribe pens :)

16. startle

startle Siege... Where the fun begins.
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Gilfane

Yes, give some love to Scribes and Tinkers - we need Runic Pens and Runic Tinker Tools...

DerekL likes this.
  17. Tyrath

Tyrath Babbling Loonie

Back in the day when properties were added to spell books and later necro books that the only two factors that determine property and intensity are scribe and magery, with 100/120 giving the highest chance for max intensity 3 property books and that talismans only increased the chance of of making a book and of course increased chance of it being exceptional not the property or intensity. Unless something changed since then and I am not seeing that it has that would still be the case today.

18. Tangled Metal

Tangled Metal Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Maybe the exceptional bonus is just to get your name on the book.

19. Rambler_live's

Rambler_live's Visitor

im runing a 25exceptional bonus and 27bonus tally and tonight alone did 90k scrolls into books and not one super slayer anyone know why?? im 120mage gm scribe with a good tally

20. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

Do you have 120 eval also?

21. Rambler_live's

Rambler_live's Visitor

yes sir i do arms lore doesnt come in to play with scribe does it?

22. Warpig Inc

Warpig Inc Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Goes the same when crafting weapons. The chance for super slayers popping up has been greatly reduced. Really not an issue with the change to slayer damage super vs standard. Nowdays really more happy to see spider slayer vs arachnid slayer.

They really want to boost crafting? They need to fluff in about 50+ new standard slayers for runic and loot drop chances mods. AND NEVER PUT THEM ON THE IMBUE LIST. Fey slayer chance couldn't hurt.

I have crafted some hefty non exc. spellbooks. And as said it is sad when the crafters name is not on a sweet piece. Toss in exc made runebooks having 32 slots for runes and greater recall charge count. Scribes with vendors will make some extra gold to put exc. shoes on their kids feet.

23. Rambler_live's

Rambler_live's Visitor

i made this book just now may not be special but i like it mi5 16sdi 1fcr

24. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

I don't think so. In fact I'm pretty sure it has no effect on spell books. How about max intel. That might be another factor.

25. Rambler_live's

Rambler_live's Visitor

my int not blessed is 130

26. Gospel

Gospel Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Like I said on this thread months ago; Max Inscription and max Magery is as good as you can get. There are no other factors. "But what about..." No. There are no other factors.

If you have used 90k scrolls and not received a super slayer... Time to buy more scrolls. Sometimes you will get 3-4 out of 60k. Sometimes ill go 180k scrolls and get nothing. It's random. I will say though, in the past 6 months I have burned nearly 2 million blank scrolls, and I average 2 super slayers per 60k. The real catch is getting Demon and Repond as these are the only valuable ones. Getting a super slayer with spell damage on it is also very nice.

27. Lady CaT

Lady CaT Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Exceptional only confers the ability to mark the book with your name as the crafter.
    A talisman with inscription exceptional bonus simply means the chance to create more books with your name on it.

The amount and intensity of the properties on a spellbook depends on your Magery skill. At 80 Magery you can get 1 property, at 90 you can get 2 properties and 100 Magery you can get 3 properties. At 110 and 120 Magery you can still on get 3 properties, but you will have a higher chance of getting them.

Inscription simply effects your ability to scribe a spellbook at all, the higher your skill the less likely you will fail at making a spellbook.

Thus a talisman with inscription bonus will help you scribe more books because you will fail less. If you scribe more books successfully with a given number of scrolls, you will get more chances at a book with mods on it. Assuming you have the Magery skill high enough to get mods.