1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

EXCLUSIVE: Broadsword on the state of Ultima Online

Discussion in 'UHall' started by DJAd, Jun 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

"Today we’re hanging out with Broadsword Online Games, the indie studio that emerged from the implosion of Mythic Entertainment a while back. Broadsword is now steward of the Ultima Online and Dark Age of Camelot franchises and is actively developing both of these veteran MMORPG titles.

We’ve got three members of Broadsword with us today: President Rob Denton, UO Producer Bonnie Armstrong, and DAoC Producer John Thornhill. Check out what they have to say about expansions, developing for classic MMOs in a modern era, and the future of Broadsword."

http://massivelyop.com/2015/06/25/an-exclusive-chat-with-broadsword-about-uo-and-daoc/

Where do you see the studio and its games five years from now?

[No response was given for this question.]

Aurelius likes this.
  2. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

I gotta agree with a lot of the comments at the bottom of the article. Especially this one:

[No response was given for this question.]

"Probably not the most confidence inspiring response. They could have at least given a canned, generic, "Continuing to support these fantastic games and the fans that love them!" blurb : /"

Lord Frodo and Smoot like this.
  3. Arcus

Arcus Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Same ole same ole really. Lots of talk no action. Still waiting on account management updates. Hey Broadsword, how about you do what you say you are going to do. These BS interviews are worthless without action.

Lord Frodo, Keith of Sonoma and DJAd like this.
  4. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

TY for the link. That spoiler is sad and the comments reflect it.
    Here is one I think that is funny if you think about it.
    Currency conversion is now in the expansion and aren't gifts normanly free, I just wounder how much this "GIFT" will cost us. I guess we know now why UO took the codes off of Origin for the sale, gotta make all the money they can to save their jobs I guess. They would have made more if they left them.

5. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

As I said elsewhere, mention the 18th, but show artwork from the 15th. Dance around the team size like a true politician. And flat out dont answer the question about continued longevity. Hell, I coulda done that interview...

DreadLord Lestat likes this.
  6. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I almost spit a mouth full of coffee all over my CPU when I read that. Close relationship, really, where.

railshot and HoneythornGump like this.
  7. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

NO YOU COULD NOT HAVE. You would have told us something useful.

8. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

And let not forget this one
    WOW 1,ONE,UNO meeting per shard in a year, she make it sound like they do it all the time. Yes it was probably a typo but I hand to highlight it and here is what it really says "We gave up on listening and hearing our players and what they want." JK

9. Cyrah

Cyrah Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Come on, what did you expect them to say? UO will live to be a 100 years old?
    If she gives Saul one more last and final break, I can give her one. And she has helped many players many times.

I am not the biggest fan of this team but gosh this isn't a hobby for them.
    I just do not see them as my enemy is all.

10. Angel of Sonoma

Angel of Sonoma Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

I hate these threads because they are filled with so much negativity. As for the interview, you can expect the 'fluff' responses because it's going to be viewed by the public.

Schatzi, Lord Nabin, cholupa and 2 others like this.
  11. Zosimus

Zosimus Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Usually Massively gets attacked about their articles here on Stratics from the community for anything UO even when they say negative things like most do here on Stratics. Am I in an alternate universe?

@Lord Frodo usually when you buy an expansion other things comes with the game that are free but just added when the expansions comes out in other MMO's. So the same could be said about the gold conversion for UO. Its just a new feature. Like in GW2 with our new expansion we have choices on 3 different options.. http://buy.guildwars2.com/store/gw2...4.1728400953.1435478979&cid=90:5::::Global:40:::

UO has tons of issues but they have happened over the course of 18 years of the game by many developers and what they thought was the direction of UO should go. This includes it's creator RG. I will give credit where it's due and the current dev team has and is trying to fix UO. They have listened by doing bug fixes, added counselors, making an expansion, helped with CS, and more. Maybe you don't see them in game much as you like, or post here on Stratics as much as you wanted but if they were then who be working on the game? The bloody hamster?

I see complaints on here all the time about BS this or that. If any is so unhappy about the dev team, EA, or how bad the game is, under populated servers ,and so on there is a way to fix that. Man up and quit paying for the game if you are nit picking the game to death. There is tons of other ways to find hobbies to do on the internets and in real life. Go jogging or sit in your rockers and see if you can beat the world record who can rock more. Play other games if UO sucks so bad. Its like a smoker, they want to quit but its so damn hard. All I will add is buy a bigger set of marbles if you cant back up what you say when I have read many of empty threats on these boards in many other topics.

There is a difference in true issues with the game and just complaining for the complaining of it.

Ferrut, Kirthag, Tarquinn and 6 others like this.
  12. Merlin

Merlin The Enchanter
    Moderator Professional Governor Campaign Patron UWF

My two cents:

Good to atleast see someone cares enough about Broadsword to do an interview with them. How many other 18 year old games or MMO's (other than WoW) are getting any publicity these days? Sure, the responses were somewhat expected PR-talk, but its better than nothing.

I guess the people criticizing the 'every player, every day' quote didn't read the following: "UO is not just a game; it is a world that people grew up in, where families still play together, and friendships nearing 20 years have been forged. Ultima Online is one of the few sandbox games on the market that allows so much freedom that nearly anything is possible. Any way you want to win, that’s how you win." Bonnie knows and understands that a lot of those who do play this game truly did grow up playing not only UO, but also it's predecessors like Quest of the Avatar and such. In more or less words, she acknowledges that there are many different people who like to play this game in different ways. Surely they must be thinking that in development of the new expansion as well.

Regarding the 'where do you see the game in five years?' question and the non-answer: is it reasonably possible that this wasn't really even asked but just inserted by the website posting the interview? Is it possible that maybe they have private knowledge that the studio and/or game will be purchased by someone else in the near future and can't give a comment quite yet? In short, I am giving the development team the benefit of the doubt here. Maybe the new expansion breathes some new life into the game and brings back some much needed subs. Maybe on the other hand, they do know this game has a finite life and will close down at it's 20th anniversary or something but are being smart by not announcing it. Who knows. It would've been nice to get a solid answer, but that's obvious. We live in uncertain times and atleast they didn't blow a bunch of smoke up our butt with some phony canned answer.

The relentless complaining and near hate that we see espoused on these forums toward the developers is really truly pathetic. A bunch of whining and moaning from people who probably don't have much better to do with their lives.

I still see this game from the perspective of the glass being half full and look forward to continuing to add to my UO experiences.

Ferrut, Kirthag, Schatzi and 11 others like this.
  13. old gypsy

old gypsy Grand Poobah
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Patron PITMUCK

Thank you for the link, DJad. No doubt some of the new content will be pleasing to many players. I'm happy for them.

One statement in particular left me with mixed feelings: "Ultima Online is one of the few sandbox games on the market that allows so much freedom that nearly anything is possible." That has always been true, for the most part. However, it appears to be no longer applicable to a few of us less adventurous folks who once found the most peaceful activities to be both rewarding and the most satisfying.

With the steady decline in population and the increasing irrelevance of once-rewarding simpler skills, I'm reminded of an old saying about old soldiers not dying, but just fading away. I don't have an old soldier, but I often think about my old chef, my old lumberjack, my old miner, etc., and feel very sorry I cannot turn back the clock and make them truly relevant once more. It's too late for that, of course, and the clock keeps ticking forward... toward what, I no longer know.

Lord Frodo likes this.
  14. TimberWolf

TimberWolf Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

there is a huge Crap load of legal and business reasons why someone cant comment on where things will be 5 years from now. At least we didnt get the panned response...

:)

#14 TimberWolf, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    transcendent and Merlin like this.
  15. Zuckuss

Zuckuss Order | Chaos
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni K^S

Please avoid letting this thread become another source of negativity. We have plenty of that do deal with already.

Schatzi, CovenantX, Tarquinn and 3 others like this.
  16. Riyana

Riyana Operations
    Administrator Moderator Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Campaign Patron

I have cleaned up this thread.

Please keep this thread on topic and constructive. Any personal issues anyone has with other players/posters should remain in personal channels.

Lord Frodo likes this.
  17. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

@Zosimus Alls I was saying that it is funny that she said the currency conversion was like a new thing and not promised to us over a month ago and now it is being added to the expansion as a perk. Would have been nice to come on here or UO.com and say something about it and not find out in an interview. Where is all this close relationship with the player base.

Tyrath and Zosimus like this.
  18. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

while i realize PR isnt a strongpoint for UO, you have to admit theres really no other game where you can personally email the developers and actually get a personalized response. that, combined with the live content of the EM program is more direct player / company involvement than ive experienced or heard of in any other game.

Kirthag, Schatzi, Parnoc and 9 others like this.
  19. Ender

Ender Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Currency conversion is being released with the expansion, sure, but it'll be available for every player whether they buy it or not. 99% sure of that.

20. Vor

Vor Grand Inquisitor

Would have to be. Else every time they bought something, the pool of money open to them would shrink and shrink. Unless.. that's BS cunning plan to make everyone buy the expansion :)

21. Garrett.

Garrett. Journeyman

Spot on, and bundled with a lot more content not mentioned in the interview! There are a million reasons to be positive about the forthcoming release, and only one to be negative...

22. funkymonkey

funkymonkey Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

That's because the community is so small that it can be done, i hardly see this as a good point, the Devs failure so communicate to the us with regular bases and leaving in the dark for months on end is SO annoying and pathetic... and don't even get me started on how the "Devs" cant be arsed to promote this game...

I thought EA was bad, but what has broadsword truly done as a positive since they took over i mean a real impact into UO not just some bug fixing exercise that broke more things.

Lord Frodo likes this.
  23. Longtooths

Longtooths Supreme Commander
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend LTC

"
    Where do you see the studio and its games five years from now?

[No response was given for this question.]"

:sad3: We all talk about it and theorize but have you ever really thought of the ramifications if/when this game ends. It's gonna suck....

24. Aurelius

Aurelius Babbling Loonie

Sadly nothing in there made me reconsider quitting as my accounts run out of gametime - the 'meet and greets' have been incredibly patchy, some bits of useful information but far too often what we said, no matter how clearly it was explained, simply did not register at all, and "the dev team does meet-and-greets in game on each shard" surely gives a rather distorted impression when they actually did one such meet per shard in roughly 18 months - and often did not really listen when there anyway :( Communication with the playerbase is woeful, no matter how many times we are told it's important to them - the actual experiences of being a customer of theirs makes it clear to me that I'm of no importance at all. They desperately need a decent, professional customer service rep with the authority to make things happen, and that's so far from being on the cards as to be unthinkable.

My main issue with how badly things have gone though is rules enforcement and behaviour, I already felt pretty sure there was zero interest in addressing the problems of griefing, event disruption, harrasment and obscenity, despite the warm words about how it all mattered so much, but when I read nothing at all about addressing those issues, their response that "Any way you want to win, that’s how you win" leaves me with the distinct feeling that even 'winning' by spoiling the game for the decent players is how things are heading for UO. No mention of the new account management system, or replacements for the woeful Origin store, and no apparent vision where they want to be in 5 years just convinces me even more that the game I knew and loved is gone. :(

25. funkymonkey

funkymonkey Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Mesanna was last seen:
    May 14, 2015.

26. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

27. Tanivar

Tanivar Crazed Zealot

Maybe they do read the posts in these forums and have finally accepted that all the players hate this game and know the devs are so incompetent and totally clueless they can't do anything right, that almost nothing they do makes any of their customers happy, that most are going to let their accounts run out and go play something else anyway, so let's just put UO in maintenance mode and keep the lights on until the twentieth anniversary, then with that longest running game bragging right on record, just pull the plug. Saving all those forum posters from needing to do any more pancakes and just let them free to go play a game they actually enjoy, which is clearly not this one.

cobb likes this.
  28. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

WOW Can we get one of these
    beibhinn
    [​IMG]PCAdmin/DAoC Community Lead
    This person posts app 6 times a day over on the DAoC Boards. They just came out with another newsletter too.

Spock's Beard and Dot_Warner like this.
  29. Gamer_Goblin

There's a blurb a moderator added in the comments about a new player system being added.

30. LetheGL

LetheGL Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

We don't take kindly to folks who don't to take kindly to folks who make negative posts about people they don't take kindly to 'round here! ( sorry, I'm bored :grin: )

31. Saul

Saul Visitor

How dare you sir, and if my account was active i would slap my glove in thy face, the dev team do a lot right, :long breakfasts, long lunches, long dinners, visiting all the pubs in their area and supplying local merchants with our hard earned coin. It just needs to transcend reality and become fantasy.

32. THP

THP Stratics Legend

Lets be honest nobody in the world of playing UO was ever ever expecting another Add-On ....and thats happening late summer this year 2015...

Kinda be gratefull to the hand that feeds....at the moment its still feeding...and for that iam very gratefull

Schatzi, Tarquinn, CovenantX and 5 others like this.
  33. Sargon

Sargon Seasoned Veteran

Someone call Dateline.

34. Goldberg-Chessy

Goldberg-Chessy Crazed Zealot

I love it lol!
    There are countless threads started by disgruntled players(current players and sadly, even ex players trolling around pretending to be waiting for something new to excite them)complaining and whining like children for no other reason than they haven't heard anything from Broadsword or are the lights still on at Broadsword, bla, bla, bla.
    Now you have a bit of contact/info and you are still complaining like mad because it doesn't suit you personally to a tee.
    :rolleyes: :violin: :drama:

Tarquinn and LetheGL like this.
  35. HoneythornGump

Favorite qoutes from that thread.
    Last weeks sale was proof enough of that. Time and time again we get horrible customer service, and lack of communication, yet some somehow we're supposed to be grateful:next:. People we're tripping over themselves to hand over money to EA/BS to support the Ultima Franchise, but couldn't do so, and there was zero mention by 2D Mesanna regarding the sale and how players got shafted:talktothehand:. Yet we have no grounds to complain and should be grateful.:rolleyes:

As long as UO continues to support a client from 1997 with low resolution graphics this game will continue it's decline. High Resolution should be top priority if there are any plans to breath some life into UO. I don't care how many events you run or expansions you introduce if you can't attract new players your not going to remain solvent.

Jirel of Joiry and Lord Frodo like this.
  36. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Clients and graphics aside, there is a point here I want to make, a personal peeve of mine. Over and over we are handed bugs, poor service, low to no communication, and the cheerleaders continue to tell us to "just be glad they are still letting us play". NO! NO! I'm not falling for that. *THEY* should be glad we are still paying their salary by playing, otherwise they would be in the employment line like so many others today!

Folks, we do NOT have to continually accept it as being the norm. I refuse to :cheerleader: for the sake of cheering.

37. Angel of Sonoma

Angel of Sonoma Certifiable

I work as a developer at a Fortune 50 company and it is a common practice to implement code with bugs. I was appalled to learn this was the company's practice. Afterall, why is there time to re-do work and not time to do it right the first time? But schedules are set and testers don't find issues until the 13th hour. And when you are working on old legacy code it compounds the risk of introducing bugs. It's not just Broadsword, it happens in other huge companies that are more concerned about schedules and processes than quality.

Kirthag and Jirel of Joiry like this.
  38. LetheGL

LetheGL Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Stop sending them your money over and over.....

39. Zuckuss

Zuckuss Order | Chaos
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni K^S

Please send your comments to Broadsword. Time to close this one.

Kirthag likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.