1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Greetings Guest! Tonights Maintenance is complete and the Stratics Community Wiki is now live. Please see this thread for more details.
    Dismiss Notice

(OT) Exodus needs a father test......

Discussion in 'UO Europa' started by Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Jan 19, 2014
    Well Ive been trying to inform myself about the stories in UO and came and stumbled across this, which if I am wrong please correct me, Mondain and Minax, had 2 kids, the eldest got killed by the younger brother ,Exodus?
    If Mondain and Minax had Exodus, why does he look like a massive mechanical spider? Did he ever have a human body, or when killed he got resurrected as a massive thing?

Then did Minax cheat on Mondain, to go with Anon, or did she wait till Mondain was dead to make the move?

I know they aren't the most asked questions, but I am trying to get a image of the story and maybe in future help with my RP.....
  2. Jonathen

Jonathen Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Jul 19, 2009
    I think in the original single player Ultima III, Exodus was just a demon, there was no mention of him being half mechanical - that was introduced in UO (Lord Blackthorn's Revenge I think?) and I believe largely due to Todd McFarlane's influence on the design.
    Similarly with Anon, I'm pretty sure he was just created for UO, I don't recall him appearing in Ultima III. I think he and Minax have been on opposing sides until very recently and not sure there is any kind of romantic link between them?
    Exodus was partly or perhaps wholly the product of sorcery, not a regular biological offspring, and Mondain was dead before we learned of Minax (Ultima II) and subsequently Exodus. The 'Clockwork Exodus' that can currently be summoned in-game is probably meant to be a lesser manifestation, like when the Shadowlords appeared in UO a few years ago, his powers reduced by being trapped between dimensions.

UO tends to diverge from the single player games, the in-game reason for this is that all the different shards developed separately after Mondain's Gem of Immortality was shattered at the end of the first Ultima game. So the shards are not just servers, they are part of the UO back story, like parallel universes created by a huge magical event. If you're ever not sure about continuity, that's probably the reason and also a good excuse ;)
  3. Adol

Adol Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Aug 28, 2003

The ending of Ultima 3 does indeed involve a machine, and the most disappointing final battle in not just an Ultima, but possibly ever; the debate is whether that is supposed to be Exodus, or whether he remains unseen throughout the game. The fiction of later games hints he is is "neither man nor machine", and the most common interpretation is that Exodus is a merging of daemon, human and sentient computer and that what the player defeats is the computer part of him at the end of U3

It's been about 15 years since I last played U3 so I can't remember what the game says about him though.
  4. Bobar

Bobar Babbling Loonie

May 20, 2004
    Don't know who his father is but he's a right B......D.
    #4 Bobar, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  5. Sir_Bolo

Sir_Bolo Sage

Mar 17, 2003
    Mondain and Minax didn't have any 'kids' in the traditional sense: they used their dark magic to create Exodus, linking a daemonic soul (the Psyche) to a sort of super database server that collected its memories (the Dark Core). For this reason Exodus considers Mondain and Minax to be its "parents". Exodus didn't have any "brother" either.

The full physical form of Exodus was never shown in single-player Ultima games; the technospiderdaemon form in Ultima Online is a free interpretation of the "daemon-machine" concept.
    My assumption is that the daemonic body of Exodus was 'built' or 'enhanced' in this way using the technological knowledge accumulated in the Dark Core; when we defeated Exodus during the event in the gargoyle city, we banished its true form back to the Void, and now it can only enter the material world building a lesser replica of itself, the "Clockwork Exodus".

Anon became the lover of Minax only during last week's event, when Mondain was already dead for more than 300 years :) I'm not even sure if Anon can be canonically considered the "lover" of Minax - she might be just mocking him, referring to the fact that she seduced him to the dark side...