1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Explanation behind design decision to restrict weapons by race?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by controlfive, Aug 27, 2009.

1. controlfive

controlfive Guest

Has there been one or could we get one? I mean, I can understand the race requirements on armor because of the differences in anatomy between gargoyles and humans/elves. I still don't like it, but I can see the logic behind it and I accept it. They're weapons; they take one hand or two hands. That's it. If, say, gargoyles had 3 hands and all their weapons took 3 hands to use, it'd be different. It just seems to me that the devs are going too far with weapons.

I've narrowed it down to what I think is two possible reasons:

1. They kept all the new gear restricted to gargoyles to encourage players throughout the beta stages to test the gargoyle race. I'm hoping this is the reason :/

2. They want to increase revenue through 7th char code sales, the (re)opening of many accounts, and SA upgrades (for extra gargoyle transformation tokens). By having ALL of the new stuff restricted to gargoyles, players who want to use all the shiny new gargoyle-only artifacts on more than 3 chars are most likely going to find themselves paying EA to do so. I'm hoping this isn't the reason, but you never know with EA.

2. Stupid Miner

Stupid Miner Guest

Oh yea, humans cant use garg weapons because their hands are too small... they get blisters. :talktothehand: <-- See the emoticon's hand for proof.

To answer your question, the real answer is: "Just 'cause."

3. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

I'm just glad to see the sexism/racism against human equipment isn't just for humans now (take that, elves!). If it has to exist, I want more of it.. male only, female only, human only, elf only.

4. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Animation.

5. hen

hen Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Selling units.

6. Mapper

Mapper Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Wouldnt they need to create animations for every current weapon for a gargoyle? Its easier to put the rule in place.

7. Thangorodrim

Thangorodrim Guest

What a jaded crowd.

It does not have to have any ulterior motives related to reducing their workload or increasing cash flow.

Maybe someone thinks its simply more interesting.

8. kalzaketh

kalzaketh Guest

the racism issue, can extend to skills also, on retribution I failed in my own right to check the gargish ability to hold asimple fishing pole I tried human axes had no luck, that seemed to eliminate gargoyle lumberjacks, thusly my crafter/harvester will remain human, afew imbuing items will require human hands to obtain them whitepearlsbark fragments to name afew items

9. Theo_GL

Theo_GL Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

My guess is that it is an oversight that will be corrected by the official release.

There are no other weapons in the game that are race specific so why start now?

I'm your huckleberry.

10. Frarc

Frarc Stratics Legend

I'm sure the dual short axes work for lumberjacking too. :)

11. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

It's cause of animations I assure you. Not only would they have to draw TWO sets of gargoyle items, they would have to draw another set for ALL existing items for gargoyles since elves/humans have a completely different body animation. Thousands of frames...

It would take ages.

12. kalzaketh

kalzaketh Guest

it will possibly enrich my lumberjack and fishers bankaccounts, many of the new changeswill greatly enhance my crafter account as it holds alchemist and scribe, my lumberjack is on my main account so it will aid him as well, the chicken coop and incubators are already on order for sept. :)

13. WarUltima

WarUltima Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

So there's a new garg only weapon with the speed and specials you really wanted but dont want to trnsform into the race that's intended to use to weapon you want?

14. Paxromana

Paxromana Guest

Soooooo

Can a gargoyle lj or not? I tried to equip garg dbl axe in target by resource macro and it wouldn't let me.

Thank you :)

15. pacific lily

pacific lily Guest

If they brought this game into the 21st century and made it a real 3D game... they'd only have to draw it once.

Lily

16. Elric_Soban

Elric_Soban Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I don't. Why can elves wear human armor but humans can't wear elf armor?

17. Who cares!
    Diversity.

Last thing we need is a weapon everyone uses.

Weapons and armour are screwed up enough already. Thats why everyone weres sammi armour.

Argh.

18. aarons6

aarons6 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Re: Soooooo

this is the only thing keeping me from switching my crafter to a gargoyle..
    can they mine too?? hold a pickaxe?

how much stones can gargoyles have at max str?
    my human can hold 586

19. Frarc

Frarc Stratics Legend

With 119 Str my gargoyle can hold 456 stones . They can hold a pickaxe and they use dual short axes to chop wood.

20. aarons6

aarons6 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

what about the mel axe with +10 lumberjack? thats what i use

21. Frarc

Frarc Stratics Legend

No can't wear it and i can't Alter it.

22. red sky

red sky Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Uh, well the country that this game is based in is a capitalist economy. Therefore, there are more than likely "ulterior motives". noob. :dunce:

Unless, of course, you were intending that some people find it more interesting to make more money. Then, perhaps, you aren't such a noob. yeah right. lol.

23. Nexus

Nexus Site Support
    Administrator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron

Yep that's true, Gargoyles are taller than Humans, the animation for fighting/walking ect with an equipped weapon is drawn separate from the Character's Animation. What we see is an Animation for the Weapon overlayed on an animation for the character. With Gargoyles being taller this would mean it would look like we were swinging a sword with our foreheads if we were Human or Elf.