1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Faction support mage template

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Guest, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Wondering what people would think is the best pvp faction support mage given my circumstances.
    - I'm poor, so I can't afford the best throwaway equipment.
    - I seem to have the biggest trouble with melee/archers as they seem to all be running 30+ HCI and they keep hitting me.
    - My main purpose is guild support, I toss the x-heals and invis', let the guildmates do the killing.

Gonna try and get to the normal base skills:
    120 mage
    120 med
    120 eval
    120 resist
    120 wrestle

So it's the last 100 skill points that I'm wondering what to do with. Options are scribe, parry, or I'm leaning towards nox.

Benefits/drawbacks I can think of each are:

Scribe -

Equipment I'd run:
    Scrappers (blessed)
    1/2 ring/bracelet - no special mods
    0/1, 0/2, or 0/3 ring with 10+ DCI

Benefits -
    - Very popular, 10% damage increase.

Drawbacks -
    - I can't see how 10% damage is all that great, plus as I mostly do the - healing, so damage doesn't help much.
    - 10%+ DCI vs 30%+ HCI, I'll still get hammered by dexxers.

Parry -

Equipment -
    Arcane Shield (blessed)
    1/2 bracelet/ring - no special mods
    0/2, 0/3 - 10 DCI
    40 Dex, 60 Dex w/greater Agility

Benefits -
    25 DCI + 30% parry chance, I should be able to deal with dexxers

Drawbacks -
    While it would be harder for melee/archers to hit me, doubt I'll be able to kill em w/out any SDI.

80 Nox/40 or so focus -
    Scrappers (blessed)
    1/2 ring/bracelet - no special mods
    0/1, 0/2, or 0/3 ring with 10+ DCI

Benefits -
    - I've noticed fewer and fewer melee/archer templates running resist, so dp will overcome orange petals.
    - DP fields in field combat are nice, and can work well in 1 on 1 against melee/archer stealthers.
    - More damage than parry, less than scribe.

Drawbacks -
    - Still will get hit a lot.

Thoughts?

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Bruin, the best I can do as a faction mage is field the base. That is not a bad thing. Factions is all about team. The warriors get the glory. The team wins though. Sometimes it is the unrewarded folk that shine.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

Bruin, the best I can do as a faction mage is field the base.

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys still haven't learned to crossheal? Geez...

4. Tark_Smash

Tark_Smash Guest

Mages get whacked in the field since they are the only ones visable. This is a good support temp.

Mage 120
    Med 110
    Eval 120
    Anat 80
    Ninja 115
    Hide 100
    Stealth 75

5. Guest

Guest Guest

i think the best support skill combo in the game is 120 magery and 120 spellweaving. If you are running a good level arcane focus you can put gift of renewal on people that can heal like over 250 damage. Also you can heal them with magery and do all that stuff. as long as you get that spell on the person before they die anybody can live through a big gank with that supporter even dismounted.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

i think the best support skill combo in the game is 120 magery and 120 spellweaving. If you are running a good level arcane focus you can put gift of renewal on people that can heal like over 250 damage. Also you can heal them with magery and do all that stuff. as long as you get that spell on the person before they die anybody can live through a big gank with that supporter even dismounted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm...you really got me thinking about spellweaving now....

7. Nerf-Herder

Nerf-Herder Guest

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. GG is right. In fact Bruin, if you are to be in a support/healing role EXCLUSIVELY, I'd try this:

120 Mage
    120 Med
    120 Focus
    120 Spellweaving
    120 Wrestle
    120 Resist

Screw eval, use summons if you need to join the attack. This will also simplify your macro set. (If you want to run a SDI mage and have NEVER run a mage before, prepare yourself for MASSIVE frustration learning 50+ macros. Not to mention spell timing, combos, switching between "x-heal mode" and "offensive mode", etc...)

If you are (or plan on being) red on this mage, I would advise against going nox mage. You guys fight way too much in Luna to be dropping poison fields as a red that close to guard zone.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

if you want to be a supporter, id consider this:

120 magery
    120 meditation
    120 resist
    80 poisoning
    40 chivalry

then pick two of the following skills (this will depend on how offensive/defensive you will be)

wrestling, spellweaving, parrying, focus, taming, alore, hiding, stealth, necro, spiritspeak, eval, anatomy, healing, bushido. (in random order)

9. <blockquote><hr>

if you want to be a supporter, id consider this:

120 magery
    120 meditation
    120 resist
    80 poisoning
    40 chivalry

then pick two of the following skills (this will depend on how offensive/defensive you will be)

wrestling, spellweaving, parrying, focus, taming, alore, hiding, stealth, necro, spiritspeak, eval, anatomy, healing, bushido. (in random order)

[/ QUOTE ]

I pick...... stealth and animal lore!

10. Sir Ha-ward

Sir Ha-ward Guest

I went with herding and begging

11. Guest

Guest Guest

there you go, way to fail xD

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Vaype's right. Mages tend to get whacked because everyone else is hidden and you are not. Newt's many, many corpses around Luna attest to that, and to my inability to pvp well with a mage.

Still, as a support character for factions, mages are really useful.

Nox is fun, but not really that useful because everyone runs a zillion cure pots and if you use poison fields in a faction battle, it just means that the poisoned enemy can get thru your para fields faster. Strangely, nox is better for pvm.

Focus, scribe, or spellweaving are probably the best for support roles.

13. yeah you know another way that might help you stay alive with the archers is necro (40 skill) for the blood oath and evil omen. nothing makes a dexxor run away faster than a blood oath. chast on them then start healing yourself like mad

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Actually, I'm going to stop trying to play a mage in Luna, keeping him for spawns and faction fighting at the base.

Switching to a stealth tamer or dismounter like everybody else.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

Nox is fun, but not really that useful because everyone runs a zillion cure pots and if you use poison fields in a faction battle, it just means that the poisoned enemy can get thru your para fields faster.

[/ QUOTE ]

im not sure why you would want to cast para fields anyways, they can just drink a poison pot, cast a delayed spell on them or use a trapped box to get through anyways. casting 20 poisonfields back to back will be much more efficient, try to drink some curepots in there.

16. Guest

Guest Guest

no begging and camping, geesh herding is so unuseful these days.