1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Failed Ultima projects: Things we'll never see

Discussion in 'UHall' started by NuSair, Oct 28, 2013.

1. NuSair

NuSair Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

I really would love to see those 3D models.
    http://www.quora.com/Ultima-Online/...answer/Thomas-Eidson?ref=bingsocial&bing_lx=0
    Thomas Eidson's answer to:
    Ultima Online: Why were there so many false starts with sequels to Ultima Online?
    Ultima Worlds Online, and Ultima X: Odyssey both met their demise, why did Ultima Online survive, but attempts to build upon that fail?
    Thomas Eidson, System Designer/Programmer
    Votes by John Clover, Anonymous, Leonid S. Knyshov, Anonymous, and 2 more.
    I worked on the Ultima Online 2.0 upgrade in 2004. The upgrade was green lit prior to EA closing down the Origin studio. The green light team consisted of me as the designer/server programmer, one graphics programmer, and one artist (with some art outsourced).
    When the upgrade was cancelled, I personally felt that the budget for the team was not properly justified to management. The game was certainly profitable enough to pay for the upgrade.
    When Earth and Beyond was cancelled, the UO upgrade team and expansion/live team absorbed the employees from that project (and hired on a few more designers/programmers/artists). Due to staffing up to such a large team, the budget grew to a size that EA did not want to fund. After a year of development, the project was cancelled.
    Unseen by players were entirely new 3D models of many of the creatures in the game, 3D dungeons, and 3D housing (with day/night cycles; sun rising/setting causing houses to throw shadows across terrain; vastly improved lighting; tons of neat shaders for effects; transparent water showing sand dunes in the ocean). I even had a functional volcano in the original green light demo. :)

#1 NuSair, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  2. Endal

Endal Journeyman

I got rid of the formatting for you :)

3. NuSair

NuSair Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

4. Winter

Winter Lore Keeper

Mostly better... the default background on these forums is black, so that whatever font you copied/pasted came out black on black. Meaning it was almost unreadable.

5. NuSair

NuSair Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Ahh, I keep forgetting that... I use the old forum look. Didn't care for the black, I'll keep that in mind.