1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

FakeAlert-FakeSpy-a trojan from UO Guide

Discussion in 'UHall' started by ACB1961, May 31, 2010.

1. ACB1961

ACB1961 Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I was reading something on UO Guide yesterday and I got an alert from my virus scan. The site loaded FakeAlert-FakeSpy-a onto my computer, but it was quarantined.

Someone or a group of people is targeting uo websites. Its not just stratics that has a problem.

This is never going to change as long as there are few real life ramifications to harming other peoples computers and data. I don't really understand people that hide in their homes and lash out at other random people.

2. ingsmsico

ingsmsico Visitor

to be honest i'd rather it stay the way it is now than get the US Congress deeply involved with the internet

this is not the auto indsutry, or aereospace, or energy. it is the information industry. they have to stay out of it.

3. These annoying "false" notifications are all over. At one point the rumor was that they are coming through streaming add servers, so you can get them at any site regardless of the quality of the site itself.

You should never click the notifications unless it is from the antivirus you know you have, just shut down your machine, reboot in safe mode, and scan. When you scan, make sure all hidden *AND SYSTEM FILES* are showing. Most of the files infecting your computer are flagged system so you can't see them even if you have hidden files showing.

I would recommend you not only keep a good antivirus on your machine, but also the program MalwareBytes ( http://www.malwarebytes.org ). I've cleaned many of these infections and I find that MalwareBytes does an excellent job of flushing their presence from the registry. If you don't do that, they will be back rapidly.