1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Farming for Crafting Talisman : best activity in the game ?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by popps, Feb 19, 2011.

1. popps

popps Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

What is the one activity in UO that has the highest chances at dropping crafting Talismans within the loot so that a player trying to make up a collection of crafting Talismans might farm this activity for a while in the hope of getting well assorted bonuses crafting Talismans (regular and exceptional) ?

Thanks.

2. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Heartwood crafting quests or the harder quests which give the reward 'a strong box'. The most often farmed one is the 'Knowledge of the Legendary Minotaur' quest which has 2 versions. One is taken in Heartwood and the other in Sanctuary. Details here: Chained Quests

3. aarons6

aarons6 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

ive gotten all of my 27+ exceptional ones from heartwood quests..

it takes awhile and i dont have a complete collection :(
    i have +27 carp, +30 inscription +28 fletching +29 tinkering and +29 tailoring and +29 smithing.

i only go for the exceptonal, except for inscription as that skill doesnt benefit from exceptional. so its +30 regular and like 22 exceptional

4. popps

popps Always Present

Question.

Since it clearly makes is way harder to have on the same one Talisman both the regular bonus and the exceptional bonus as high, does it matter when crafting that both bonuses are as high ? Or can they also be high as separate and then, depending on what item the player is crafting either the Talisman with a high regular bonus will be worn OR the Talisman with a high exceptional bonus will ?

Or are there crafting instances were it is necessary to have both bonuses, regular and exceptional be as high and be worn at the same one time when crafting ?

Because in such cases it would not be possible to wear 2 separate Talismans at once and it will be necessary to have 1 Talisman covering both bonuses at high level at the sameone time. Of course, finding such a Talisman can be quite harder......

5. hen

hen Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Why do you never say thank you?

6. Aurelius

Aurelius Babbling Loonie

Does luck affect the 'intensity' of skill bonuses on talismans in strongboxes, or is it purely random?

7. Petra Fyde

I have to admit, I'm not too sure of the answer to that one. I think it does, but I'm not 100% certain.

8. hen

hen Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

From my tests it is random.

9. popps

popps Always Present

Uhu ??

It's in the very first post and even before hand !!!

See post #1

10. hen

hen Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I meant after people give you useful advice. You never say thank you. You ignore them.

11. Sevin0oo0

Sevin0oo0 Guest

That one activity would be Questing

12. phantus

phantus Stratics Legend

I also believe it to be random.

13. popps

popps Always Present

Uhu ?

If one thanks in advance when asking out a question, they DO have thanked, IMHO, for any and all kind answers provided.

I honestly do not see the point to thank for the same issue over and over again once thanks have already been given.

14. old gypsy

old gypsy Grand Poobah
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Patron PITMUCK

Gotta agree with this... If everyone made a separate post to say "thank you" for each time someone responded to their question, more posters would be legendary. :)

15. Aurelius

Aurelius Babbling Loonie

However - I'm still going to say thanks to the people who gave answers to my question ;). I'm never completely certain about luck in UO, but I did wonder about it in regard to talismans. Seems I'm just going to have to settle down for a month or so at some point, and try get the ones my crafters need from constantly running through quests!

16. Risso

Risso Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Personally I always take that initial 'Thanks' to mean thank you for taking the time to read through my post, so then additional thanks can be given when the answer is provided :)

17. Raptor85

Raptor85 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Necessity's Mother, on Waelian the trinket weaver (tinker and turn in 10 tinkers tools) this one requires the least resources and time per try, carry on a packy a few thousand ingots, leave with bursting bags of unravels, tons of talismen, and lots of recipes.

To make it easier, accept all the other quests waelian gives out from other guys, since you can only have each quest once that makes him give this quest every time, so you don't have to continually cycle through quests randomly until you get the one you want.

the ones you want to grab from other crafters are
    Tick Tock
    The Far Eye
    Arch Support
    From the Gaultier Collection l
    Stop Harping on Me

18. aarons6

aarons6 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

i would rather fail and not make an item, then fail to make the item exceptional.
    there was a write up in the crafting forum that someone tested it out with a high % exceptional tali and a high % normal tali and used up a few runic hammers..

in the end, the high % exceptional made more use able pieces because a higher % was exceptional. think of it like this..

30% exceptional, and low % normal.
    you make 100 pieces.. you fail 10 times so you get 90.
    out of those 90, 70 were exceptional..

now you get 30% regular and low % exceptional.
    you make 100 pieces and dont fail.. 100.
    out of those 100 only 60 were exceptional.

see the difference?

the only skill that doesnt really benefit from exceptional crafting is inscription.
    you cant even make scrappers exceptional and normal spell books arent any different except for the makers mark.

19. covert

covert Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I can't even begin to want to farm the crafting quests. I get carpal tunnel from all of the context menu clicking (if a dev is reading this, PLEASE allow us to target bags to select all items within as a quest item).

20. Petra Fyde

Thank you for this! It never occurred to me to take the other quests elsewhere. I've spent ages clicking round and round the quests trying to get the one I wanted!

21. Restroom Cowboy

Restroom Cowboy Visitor

Luck has absolutely no effect on farming this stuff from crafting quests.

22. old gypsy

old gypsy Grand Poobah
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Patron PITMUCK

Good point... and I try to do that, too. Guess I just thought the OP might be feeling picked on (and I guess I've probably been guilty of the same unintentional lapse at one time or another). :)

23. Beastmaster

Beastmaster Guest

Excellent tip!!! :thumbup:

24. Derium of ls

Derium of ls Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

same here

25. PsychoKinetic

PsychoKinetic Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Once you get used to it the three-part Sanctuary quest can be completed in less than three minutes.

You will on average get higher intensity talisman from the strongbox quests than the crafting quests. On the other hand, nobody ever died from doing the Heartwood quests.

Talk to Dallid the Cook at the back of Sanctuary to get started.

26. WildWobble

WildWobble Sage
    Stratics Veteran

get your sampire out and chain 100 dreadhorns! loot is better then anything you can get out of a quest in heartwood or sanctuary and as a peerless has good drops with regs tali's and possible crimson cinciture!

I worked a tinker and a bowyer fletcher to gm in heartwood doing quests i managed to get some great talis but its not easy unless you luck out big time! I did 1000's of heartwood crafter quests and gotten lots of decent tali's and a coupple good ones 28/29 tinker 29/25 smith 29/21 tailor 29/29 carpentry. Don't expect to get the good ones quickly! I like the peerless method myself better rewards!

27. Pinco

Pinco UOEC Modder

as a wise man use to say: Better thanks one more time than never.

however, I got my best talismans from peerless except the inscription and alchemy (30% success alchemy owned by :O) one that are from library ;)

28. popps

popps Always Present

But the issue is, that thanks were provided, and in advance too, so, the "never" does not apply, here.......

29. Pinco

Pinco UOEC Modder

yes, but some people like more love when help someone :lol: