1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

[Treasure Hunting] Finding the pin?

Discussion in 'UO Fishing and Treasure Hunting' started by Petra Fyde, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

On one of the Uhall threads Serafi said she'd used this: http://magnifier.sourceforge.net/ to help find the chest.

I just had a look at it - since I trust sourceforge. This is what it gives when used:

Attached Files:

2. Serafi

Serafi Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Yeah, I expect to use the virtual magnifier glass a lot when the changes go live on production shards. You can also zoom in a bit as well. But even with that help - I`m having some trouble finding some spots on TC. I guess it`s a matter of skill as well :)

3. Great idea! My Microsoft mouse driver comes with a magnifier built into the side button... I've always found that feature annoying, but looks like it may work well.

4. Hendric

Hendric Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

That's pretty nifty but I'm reluctant to use it, as it only confirms that I'm turning into an old man!

5. Amber Moon

Amber Moon Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

I tried it. Didn't do all that much for me except show me that the pin was only about half a dozen pixels...

I really liked the old black and white maps better because you could at least coordinate better with the landmarks.

6. HEY! What the... :twak:

7. Tukaram

Tukaram Guest

I find these color maps so much easier to read. In the old line drawings I could never makeout any landmarks. The magnifying might help... but I'm getting old.

8. Petra Fyde

It would be easier if the pin actually did mark the spot, only it doesn't. That pin clearly shows the bottom edge of that clump of trees, yes?
    The chest was actually found in the grassy area to the right and up a bit.

Attached Files:

9. Hmmm... Do you mean closer to the head of the pin?

10. Rotgut Willy

Rotgut Willy Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Below the right side edge of the pin head (she marked it with a blue dot, Old Man.) :D

11. All right... all right... that's a mighty small blue dot on a 22 inch monitor! lol

12. Amber Moon

Stratics Veteran

So two possibilities...

There is a fixed relationship between the pin and the chest. We just need to relearn it.

or

It is random around the pin.. In which case some sort of logical search procedure would be in order

How many tiles does 100 mining give you again?

13. Hendric

Hendric Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

A square search pattern with fish steaks marking out the area you're searching/searched is what I've had in mind. Maybe a 20 x 20 area taking one step west to east/east to west and attempting to dig the spot up. Sounds like a good use for fish steaks to me at least. :)

14. Amber Moon

Stratics Veteran

Just had another brain fart as well..

It would be nice to get a message like "Your shovel seems to have struck something solid" in addition to the audio cue on success.

15. usr19321680

usr19321680 Guest

This shows as an example the location of the chest
    [​IMG]

16. Amber Moon

Stratics Veteran

Thanks for that. Not at the point or at the head, but a little east of the middle. Kinda like the other example.

Edited: Something else occurred to me. If you were to draw a rectangular box at the edges of the pin graphic, it would be pretty close to the center of that rectangle.

17. Amber Moon

Stratics Veteran

This is a better look:

Attached Files:

18. Arradin

Arradin Sage
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

this is really nice and good info, Thanks alot!

makes it alot easier for us without mining *coughs*

19. Fink

Fink Guest

Does JoAT mining make any difference?

20. Petra Fyde

Not sure, but it's been posted in the other thread that the chest is always at a specific spot in relation to the pin. One pixel right and 4 down from the center of the red pin-head, I think the poster said. I'm hoping to check that out and get an image for the page later today.

21. Amber Moon

Stratics Veteran

I'm hoping to check that out in practice soon :)

My plan is to use the spiffy magnifier thingee and then put a mark down in UO Cart. That and 100 mining I should never miss right? :lol:

In the mean time, since the level 1s are reported to still be at the old locations, I need to find a new rune library. My old one vanished! :sad2:

Good Huntin'

22. Petra Fyde

23. Amber Moon

Stratics Veteran

Thanks Petra! I play almost exclusively on Baja and I found one in .. surprise! ...
    Luna. :lol:

24. Thunderz

Thunderz Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Iv been farming maps since they mentioned the new treasure and they being in random locations.
    Iv collected about 80 maps now and decifered them all and found what number map it is so when the patch hits they will all be in the old locations and i can just use the rune librarys to find them ;)

Any i get after the patch hits will be random but it gives me 80 lvl 6 to play with for the first month ;)

Thunderz

25. Amber Moon

Stratics Veteran

Well, I fished up two new lvl1 trammel maps this morning, just so I could see how the pin placement worked out.

I believe the chest location is static relative to the pin, just as we have discussed above. That said, the problem still lies in interpreting the pin location against the either the radar or UO Cartographer.

The first map was in an swamp area away from any of the old locations. I was able to hit that one within a tile or two first try with my 100 mining.

The second map was again in an open area near a mountain in the area created by the new volcano on Fire Island. This one took me about 4 tries to get within 4 tiles and raise the chest.

So all and all I'd say you can get by without mining if you are good at interpreting the maps and have the patience to do some poke and hope. But mining is proving helpful in reducing the search time.

26. Hendric

Hendric Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Poke and hope? :lol: I think we've established the 0 mining treasure hunting technique!

27. Yalp

Yalp Guest

If you use win7 os, there's a magnifier in the accessories which works the same as the one Petra posted a link to.. easy to use and don't even need to download.

28. I set my magnifier to 400%, using UO Cartographer with the EC client zoomed in to the same level, and it takes a bit of digging but not as bad as I thought with zero mining.

It sure surprised the neighbors just outside Luna when I popped my level 6 map next to their house!

29. Mapper

Mapper Crazed Zealot

A nice tip! It's under 'Ease of Access', Works best if you click 'View' then 'Lens'.

30. quadspeed

quadspeed Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

Hi ! Thanks for magnifier - it looks great - hope it helps as so far ive not managed to dig anything !