1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

[Fishing] Fisherman's Suit

Discussion in 'UO Fishing and Treasure Hunting' started by DreadLord Lestat, Dec 24, 2012.

1. DreadLord Lestat

DreadLord Lestat Social Media Liaison
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Social Media Liaison Stratics Legend PITMUCK

Is it worth it and is it imbuable? For the most part I have only used my fisherman for MIB's but am thinking of trying to catch the different types of fish now. DO the suits work any better now than in the past?

2. Frarc

Frarc Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Yes the suit is imbuiable.

3. The Mule

The Mule Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Is it worth it, not yet... The bonus for baits and the suit are so low that you might as well be fishing nekked! They "work" the same as they did the day they came out. Mine is just sitting on a mannequin collecting dust until it is fixed.

4. Doubleplay

Doubleplay Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I have tested this over and over. I get no discernible change when wearing the suit. In fact, so far I don't see much advantage in using smelly baits over regular baits. However, I have not had enough smelly baits to be sure about this yet. As a matter of fact, I have caught almost all the rare fish and most of them were without baits. The only bait I used that I am sure greatly helped was the one for Zombie fish. The whole suit, bait thing needs a review. I don't hold out much hope for that.

5. startle

startle Siege... Where the fun begins.
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Gilfane

The entire package needs a serious revamp... Quest work/rewards, rare fish, the suit's effect, baits... ALL OF IT is in sore need of some serious love...
    Come'on devs....

#5 startle, Dec 27, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  6. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Sage
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

This might sound like a newbie question, but what is a "fisherman's suit"? My Sister is an elf and has a pair of green kelp leggings (I think they are called) which she thinks are cool. All my sisters are flashy dressers and not so wise as it pertains to what is actually a smart choice for defense...

7. DreadLord Lestat

DreadLord Lestat Social Media Liaison
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Social Media Liaison Stratics Legend PITMUCK

It is a suit gained from clean-up points. It would be used for the bait strength but I guess it is not working right. Fisherman's Armor Set Clicky

#7 DreadLord Lestat, Jan 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  8. startle

Hey Rhiannon, what shard are you on?

9. Tazar

Tazar Guest

From her signature:

Kylie Kinslayer likes this.
  10. startle

Lol... You are a little devil, aren't you Taz... Hard to read that part of her sig on my screen... But thx...

11. Tazar

Tazar Guest

It does help that I've known her for many years. :p

12. Kylie Kinslayer

Kylie Kinslayer Grand Inquisitor

Not sure if the suit is better or not... but my results this go around with it were great. Fishing for Winter Dragonfish in Ice, had 3626 fish caught without one. Snagged 100 charges of bait, slapped on suit caught one on the 46th cast. The remaining 54 uses did not land one tho.. *shrugs* so draw from that what ya will I guess :)

13. startle

Hey Kylie... Do you wear luck when dungeon fishing?

14. Kylie Kinslayer

Kylie Kinslayer Grand Inquisitor

Nah, never even thought of trying it honestly.

15. startle

Well, of all the things that SHOULD be affected by luck, I would think that the chance of catching a very, very rare fish certainly SHOULD be...

16. Adol

Adol Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I'm nearing the end of my fishing quest; just the Blood Lobster and Tunnel Crab left to catch now... and I'd say for crustaceans the Suit is absolutely worth while. Each time the Traps complete a *bob* the chance of a rarer crab etc goes up, as does the chance the trap will be destroyed. As it's multiplicative then, it also multiplies the effectiveness of the bait applied to the trap... combine that with the fishing suit which will also be multiplied in turn and you'll see a much greater chance of catching the Legendaries whilst equipped.

For Legendary Fish however, it's hard to quantify. It's not noticeably better, if you've only got 100 charges of some of the rarer bait (and some have never dropped for me at all, despite over 300 recorded fishing quests now) you'll likely lose them all, suit or not. However the odds of catching a Legendary are so low (Kylie is reporting around 3000 fish for each, which is roughly the odds I've seen too) that even a little help will be desirable, especially for areas with intense and dangerous spawn.

Wanda and Phineas on Europa have donated Charybdis bait to me to host public events a few times; until Publish 80 the suit was broken however, and no one has offered bait since, so I can't tell you if that encounter is improved with the suit... however the maths don't indicate it would be noticeably improving; it's 25% chance above GM fishing, the same as Osiredon... and 1% from the suit isn't going to move that much. Again however, the ability to get the materials is so ridiculously low, anything which nudges the chance of successfully summoning him is worth it. Of all the 450+ submissions to the Fishing Quest document stickied here, I'm the only one so far to get the Oracle, and none of us ever got Charybdis bait... so yes, too damn right I wear the Suit when trying to pull him up! (And it's a good job I did, as that helped prove the suit was broken still, and got it fixed). Osiredon however is, as far as I know, just a straight chance based on Fishing skill, you won't need the Suit for him at all.

Smelly Bait? I've only ever had it for the Rare fish, never Legendary, and Rare are pretty friendly with your hook... I'd say it is more effective, but I couldn't quantify it in practical experience. If you've got the bait, may as well Suit up I guess!

17. startle

Takes a deep breath... Wonders if it's all worth it...

18. Doubleplay

Doubleplay Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Hmmm.. I have 10 baits and an Oracle, didn't know they were so rare. However, the tunnel crab and blue marlin still elude me. I guess I will give the suit a try for the crab. Thanks for the analysis.

#18 Doubleplay, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013