1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

[Fishing] Fishing Template

Discussion in 'UO Fishing and Treasure Hunting' started by Cyric_SP, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Cyric_SP

Cyric_SP Guest

After doing some reading last night I just found out there are now 120 fishing PS

With that in mind, and the fact I dont have one, what are fishers using these days in their templates? I think mine use to be an archer/bard but being that I have no clue what I was doing with him and found fishing as well as a few other skills on stones, he's like lost now.

I was thinking of trying to put him back together, something like (no 120s on this char, showing his caps):

110 Archery
    100 Chiv
    100 Fishing (PS eventually)
    115 Music
    115 Provo
    115 Peace
    65 Med

I'm guessing that will work. I seem to remember fighting alot of creatures when the chest came up long ago. Is it still like that or did they change things? Of course I could be not even remembering right.

Also, if I do get back into fishing up SOS, do I need to upgrade to High Seas or am I fine with SA? I didn't see anything anywhere that said which expansion the fishing PS came with.

2. Kylie Kinslayer

Kylie Kinslayer Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

If you are coming back for fishing then upgrading to High Seas is mandatory imo. I am not sure if you can even catch the new fish needed for the 120 if you don't have high seas.

UO Stratics *New* | Fishing in the High Seas

3. Kylie Kinslayer

Kylie Kinslayer Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Had an additional thought...

That temp you have sounds like a good one for fishing these days. Alot of the fish are dungeon fish and can require some fighting or peacing to handle. Mine is a bard/thief/fisher and does ok. but only due to peace and stealth.

4. DreadLord Lestat

DreadLord Lestat Social Media Liaison
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Social Media Liaison Stratics Legend PITMUCK

The chests didn't use to spawn guardians (maybe you were thinking of treasure chests?) so I don't think you will need prov unless you throw a lot of fishing nets. Maybe stone prov and use discord instead? The discord and peace will really help a chiv/archer.

5. Cyric_SP

Cyric_SP Guest

As for stoning provo, how's getting to the fishing spots for the quests? Will just peace/disco be enough or will I use provo more due to more creatures? I haven't been down there yet so no idea what's even down there.

6. DreadLord Lestat

Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Social Media Liaison Stratics Legend PITMUCK

I guess that really depends on how much time you will be spending fishing on a boat and how much time you will spend fishing in dungeons. I was talking about being on a boat and pulling up chests. If you are mainly doing dungeon fishing, its up to you. I have a peace/disco/chiv/archer that does great in dungeons but he also has tactics and anatomy.

7. neptune1369

Stratics Veteran

here's my temp hope it helps
    1. 110 arch(90 real + hunterheaddress)
    2. 110 anat
    3. 110 tacts
    4. 100 heal
    5. 100 chiv
    6. 80 mag
    7. 120 fish

8. Eht/Longbow

Eht/Longbow Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

This is mine so far.

Fishing 99.5
    Mage 70.8 with +10 to make 80.8 book when it's necessary to rez someone.
    Med 100
    Focus 110
    Mysticism 110
    Spellweaving 106.8
    Stealing 50
    Snooping 29.5

It was originally going to be a faction thief and would use burglar's bandanna, jewelry, and shadow dancer leggings, but that has kind of hit the back burner for now. I can fish all day with no problems, he survives really well, I solo Navery with him frequently, and I rarely die against almost any champ.

9. old gypsy

old gypsy Grand Poobah
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Patron PITMUCK

Not the best template, I'm sure, but it's fine for fishing & on pirate hunts with a tamer friend and his dragon. Current real skills:

110 Anatomy
    115 Archery
    100.6 Fishing (rising)
    99.8 Healing (almost gm)
    100 Hiding (love it, won't drop it)
    67.8 Magery (will have to lower it as fishing rises)
    110 Tactics

10. DreadLord Lestat

I would drop magery and add chivalry to go with your archery, you should be able to find some nice jewelry to help with some of those skills so you can have higher chivalry or even some nice chivalry jewelry. I love having chivalry with my archers and loved it on my old fisherman. I wish that account was still open.

11. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

For most my career, my template was

120 Magery
    120 Eval
    100 (120) Fishing (swapped with inscription when I wasn't fishing)
    100 Resist
    100 Tactics
    100 (80) Med
    80 Chivalry
    (adding +magery jewelry when equipping a SC MW bow)
    Spellbook was my first scrappers I ever made, and is a water ele slayer (over 400 points damage to 1-2 water eles at a time with chain lightning, if inscription on)

With High Seas, I raised Fishing to 120, and reduced Meditation to 80 (hence the numbers in the Parentheses). Amazingly, I was able to assemble a suit with jewelry that was all-70, 100%+ LRC, 40%+ LMC, 45% DCI and decent mana regen, with only having to imbue 1 piece of gear (I later made that 2, by replacing the looted ring with something that allowed me to still have 70 physical when protection was cast) AND including the Pendant of the Magi (which has no resists)! The downside is that I don't have any room for +skill equipment (other than more magery I don't need, on the Scrappers), and that I trade off my +2/+6 FC/FCR for MAgery skill to offset the MAge weapon penalty. (which doesn't hurt much, since I typically cast protection when using mage weapons)

I used a SC Mage Weapon mana leech bow of one form or another.

Having 2 summons tank while I filled the target full of arrows (and the occasional Ebolt/fireball/chain Lightning) had its advantages.

Currently, I'm experimenting with the following template for the fisher instead (same suit).

120 Magery
    120 Eval
    120 Fishing
    100 Inscription
    100 Mysticism (actually, still training - at 86.5)
    110 Focus
    50 Chivalry

I'm liking it so far, but would have liked it more had the white net I tossed last night yielded a Leviathan instead of a Scalis, as I had to call for help to fight the cthulhu wanna-be, and it took the responding guilds that helped (all but one of my guild had all logged just after the shard event last night, and ) almost an hour to finish it, because they had to drag their fully loaded ship from the opposite end of the world to Buc's to help (and the half-dozen that were fighting it while the ship was en route were about the worst possible templates for Scalis fighting, except for killing eels).

I still want to see if I can finally solo Leviathan with this template....