1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Fishmonger Quests : why one HAS TO HAVE a ship in the water ?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by popps, Oct 22, 2010.

1. popps

popps Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I can understand that, in order to be given the new fishmonger Quests, one has to be subscribed with the new High Seas Booster.

But why do the Fishmongers request that one has to have also a ship in the water ?

I mean, one can fish the new fishes from the shore so I do not see the reason for requiring to have a ship in the water.

Anyone knows ??

2. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

3. Babble

Babble Guest

Only the one who can prove to have a ship is worthy to receive a quest.
    All other Landlubbers have no business even talking to him!

Honestly though, no idea. Seems like a weird design decision.

4. It Lives

It Lives Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

It would be just your speed popps. Look ma I can recall.rolleyes:

5. gunneroforgin

gunneroforgin Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

I think it is because your back pack and the hold of the old ships are limited to 400 stone whille the new ships can hold 12K to 16K stone depending on the ship type. Many of the quests are 10 fish or more and each fish ways 10 stone. I think the game is designed for you to use a ship to deliver the fish rather than let you recall to all the spots.

6. popps

popps Always Present

Well yes, but nonetheless I find it controversial that one has to have a ship in the waters but then have to go fish in a dungeon from the shores........

Besides, this makes it a pain to fish from the docks of the Sea market since a ship can stay there only 20 minutes.

7. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox

Why would you need to fish from the docks at Sea Market?

I have no problem with the design, a sea quest that requires you actual sail to your destination instead of recalling?

8. Xanth de Orlig

Xanth de Orlig Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend BRPA

How could they be sure you could deliver the goods without a ship?

Delivering fish across greater Britannia via packhorse could get a bit ripe ....

9. Xanth de Orlig

Xanth de Orlig Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend BRPA

Rowboat?

Or take your ship out ... I hear tell the docks get congested as is with ships ... no need to have a ship there with a fisherman standing next to it on the docks filling orders ....

10. Adol

Adol Certifiable

You don't have to fish at Sea Market; there are only 3 basic types of fish (Shallow, Deep, Dungeon) and Lobsters and Crabs, so you can simply set your boat sailing to the destination, and either fish in the right water depth either side of the delivery, or just recall off completely to fish where ever you like whilst the boat moves to it's delivery spot.

Yes, it can be annoying when you haven't managed to get that last cursed lobster required and have to leave your boat out over night, because you can't remove the chest from the hold; and yes it's even more annoying to have to sail for up to 30 minutes to get the same fish bait over and over again (and nothing else) but these are questions of balance rather than the mechanism; that at least works, because you do have to sail it to the right port.

11. popps

popps Always Present

Well, because I like the place.....

I had not thought of it in this view and I have to say that I agree with the necessity to actually have to sail to the destination required by the Quest and not use recalling or gating pack animals.

I can see now how it makes sense to actually have to have a ship in the sea to get the Quest because of the transportation issue.

Alright, fine with me. No more questions over this for me.

12. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Good answer.... A+

13. Kylie Kinslayer

Kylie Kinslayer Grand Inquisitor

Also, I would imagine it makes it rather difficult for people to script farm the fishing quests. Why do you think you see 5-15 Bkits and 3-7 Val hammers for sale on same vendors all the time. I wouldn't want to start seeing the rare fishing quest drops done that way.

14. hawkeye_pike

hawkeye_pike Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Because otherwise you could get the quest, recall to the destination and finish the quest within 5 seconds without any sailing (if you already have the fish).

Since you're so against "instant gratification" I think you will understand that sailing should be an important part of fishing quests.

15. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Actually if the quest and destination are both in the following list of cities, you can do this even now:

Trinsic, Jhelom, Skara Brae

There's also a few places where you can park your ship, recall to the dock to get the quest, and if it's to a nearby city, sail your ship across the server line, and deliver.

Example: any of the 3 above, delivering to britain.
    a. Have your ship sitting just south of the server line that runs through Horseshoe Island and Buc's den.
    b. Recall to the 3 cities in the list above, getting the quest for each.
    c. if one or more is to Britain, load the crate up, sail the boat-length or two to cross the server line, then recall to Britain, and deliver.
    d. IF you need a Britain quest, get it.
    e. If it goes to one of the cities in the list, sail back south of the line, and recall to deliver.

Similarly, all one has to do to deliver in the Trammel lost lands (or get to the fishmonger to get the quest), is use the Serpent pillar, then recall to the fishmonger. Then, once done, sail over to the LL side pillar, and get out, putting some space between you and the pillar. That way, you don't have congestion problems at the pillars or at papua dock.