1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

[Fishing] Fishmonger quests

Discussion in 'UO Fishing and Treasure Hunting' started by Gil, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Gil

Gil Guest

I must be doing something wrong... I just trained up fishing from a NPC 3 days ago, picked up 2 quests (10 uncommon shiners, and 10 redbelly bream), and have been fishing about 10 hours total from the shores and along the shore from my boat.

I have only caught 3 bream and 1 shiner. Seems a bit slow. Is this normal?

2. Doubleplay

Doubleplay Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Sounds pretty normal. Just wait till you have to fill an order for 20 of a certain crab or lobster type. I was going to figure the mean time for fishing up 20 of a specific fish when starting from 0, but what's the point? If you make it to 120 fishing, the accomplishment will speak for itself.

3. popps

popps Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

What is your skill at ?

Fishing needs patience, still, in 10 hours of fishing you should have been able to catch, among others, the 10 uncommon shiners and 10 redbelly bream required to fill your order.

Are you gaining fishing skill as you fish ? As you gain skill, did you notice an increase in catching the special fish ?

4. Gil

Gil Guest

Yes I am gaining skill, currently at about 46. I am catching special fish, but not the ones I need. Walleye, salmon, trout, etc. LOTS of regular fish, and occasional footwear (gotta love those).

5. popps

popps Always Present

Then the reason might be your 46 skill. Good to get LOTs of regular fish but not enough to get a good quantity of the fish you need for the quests.

I am not sure if it is possible to get fishing skill on jewellery, if so, did you try increasing your skill using fishing skill jewellery ?

With up to 15 on ring and 15 fishing on bracelet, you could possibly jump up to 76 skill which could help getting more of the fish you need. I never tried it though, therefore, I am not sure whether fishing skill points can be found or imbued on jewellery pieces.

As an alternative, if you can use crabs/lobsters traps, use those and the more the better. They will help raise your fishing skill faster than with fishing (more skill checks....).

6. Silverbird

Silverbird Slightly Crazed

There are no skill boosts on jewelry.

With higher skill you catch more and more of the uncommon fishes. At least at GM you dont catch any of the plain fishes and therefore your rate for the uncommon ones will be higher.

7. Metalstorm

Metalstorm Seasoned Veteran

Then there's the "watching water boil" syndrome. It always seem to be that you catch lots of what you don't need and very little of what you do need.

Especially crab fishing. If you need say 20 apple crabs you will catch every kind of crab under the sun except apple crabs. I'm slightly exaggerating but only slightly :)