1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

For the Ultima Historians

Discussion in 'UO Catskills' started by Jerimiah, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Jerimiah

Jerimiah Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

With the anticipation of SA, I got to thinking about all the original Ultima games I recently parted with as I completed another round of 'house cleaning'. If I remember correctly the abyss was the home of the codex of ultimate wisdom and was a volcano in the middle of the water someplace. Does anyone remember where it was in relation to other features that currently exist in UO?

The way I remeber things, there were secret doors in the dungeon that stood out plain as day when you knew to look for a little dot in the top down view of the walls....man I miss those simple days sometimes.

2. Moreeg

Moreeg Guest

3. Bob_the_fart_guy

Bob_the_fart_guy Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I have a nintendo (8 - bit) Ultima game. Um, Quest of the Avatar. That was when MOON gates actually would appear and disappear with the different moon cycles. Which I think would be both cool and annoying at the same time if they were to bring that back.

Thank you for the cool screen-shots. :)

4. Moreeg

Moreeg Guest

That brings me back... if I remember right, the moon gates in UO initially took you to a different city depending on the moon phase. I dont remember if that made it out of beta, but for some reason I think it did. Memories...

5. Farsight

Farsight Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

It did make it out of beta. It was still that way when I started in July 98.

Standing around moongates in order to get places was a great way to get to know people. And a great way to learn new words...

6. Jerimiah

Jerimiah Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Anyone remember which phases of the moons coresponded to which cities? Man, this has been a stroll down memory lane hasn't it?

I can't remember which of the original Ultima's gave us this feature but I allways thought it was a fantastic way to make the world feel a bit more real, especially for a 2-D view. I am refering to the way that trees and mountains would block your field of view. I remember scrambling through the dense forest around Yew trying o find that hidden little city. Or even better comming around a mountain range to see a Daemon waiting for us! Ah, good times.....

7. Gildar

Gildar Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

8. ATLPvPer

ATLPvPer Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Where is all the history on Catskills? Atlantic has a thread for Atlantic history, I thought the Catskills forum may as well.

9. Gildar

Gildar Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Not a bad idea...

edit::
    Now we've got one! But it's empty... let's fill it everybody!