1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Gargoyles wing flapping graphic.

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Cetric, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Cetric

Cetric Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

As more people are starting to play gargoyles, alot of us are noticing that the wings flapping animation is extremely laggy when around several gargoyles.

Would it be possible for there to be an option created to turn off the flapping wings animation?

2. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Some people on our shard do this with what appears to be the conscious intent of causing lag at EM events. (Same as how I read that, on other shards, they spam arch cure.)

So perhaps, if it's the flapping that's causing the lag rather than the mere floating, then have it not as an option, but the flapping just times out after a few seconds.

-Galen's player

3. Picus at the office

Picus at the office Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I solved this issue at christmas with the purchase of a spanking new rig:

Intel I7-2600K and I added a Corsair cooler which gives a steady 30c on the chip
    Gigabyte GA Z68XP
    Intel SSD 320 80gig HD
    HIS Radeon HD 6970
    16 Gig of Kingston HyperX Genisis RAM
    Extra 2TB Seagate 7200RPM 64 cache HD which holds BF3 and UO
    Coolermaster Box with a few extra fans

Amazing what a difference this does but it is total over kill for UO. BF3 is stupidly cool and I might add 2 more monitors to run a eyefinity system over the next few months.

4. Ludes

Ludes Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Nice rig..
    I finished my new comp a couple weeks ago as well..
    My old comp wasn't even that old just a few years, but I'm awestruck at the performance of my new one. Running around Luna at full gallop with no lag at all really surprised me.

5. EvilPixieWorks

EvilPixieWorks Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I don’t know... but I’m fairly sure that a lot of people use this as an excuse to be annoying by design. I’ve been camped someplace, like at the West Brit Bank, waiting for the sugarplum fairy to show up for 5+ hours... and the whole time flapping bat shows up, stands next to me, causing me to move because I don’t want to look at the flapping bat graphics while waiting. When I ask nicely for them to land, they instantly get nasty. No need for them to stand flapping, but they do anyway. See it all the time at the Lagtown bank, Atlantic... and 3+ of them unattended flapping at the same time really does start piling on the lag.

But... maybe this is part of the reason they are cracking down on unattended sitting, these super annoying gargoyles in flight mode. We call it Lagtown for a reason! I sure don’t think it's a requirement to upgrade our computers because people are annoying. It's a little unrealistic. People will do anything they can in UO to make themselves pests, is more like it. Just like how they spam EM events... the things some say is enough to get them banned with Mesanna sitting right in the room.

6. R Traveler

R Traveler Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

There is another issue - flapping wings prevent from targeting something on ground nearby.
    Its like death robe on top of your backpack in CC

7. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

The flapping is getting annoying.

I thought the 10 to 20 Greater Dragons at every EM event standing right on top of every EM character was extremely annoying.... but now it's 10 to 12 dragons and 15+ Gargoyles flapping, flapping, flapping and standing right where all the "action" is.... you can't see diddly squat and it's getting extremely frustrating.

I hope something is done about it soon but I have my doubts.

And yes I've noticed it can cause some lag. I've noticed it when I'm the one flapping.

8. Vyal

Vyal Guest

Abysmal cloth armor wings cause this type of lag. I posted about that being a bug when it first came out.

9. virtualhabitat

virtualhabitat Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

+1

Second hand flap will ruin your game.

If they had done Orcs instead of Flappers....

10. LadyNico

LadyNico Always Present

Flappiness is... irking gargy-haters!

11. temu

temu Lore Keeper

Agreed. Gargoyles can just flap off.

12. Martyna Zmuir

Martyna Zmuir Crazed Zealot

Just be glad that gargoyle's wings aren't proportinal to their fictional body mass. They'd need to be about 4 times as big and flap significantly faster to hover. Then there would be the down draft to consider...

13. Mervyn

Mervyn Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Can i get you guys a saucer of milk?