1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Global Chat and an Unnamed Online Seller

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Taylor, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Taylor

Taylor Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
    Professional VIP Stratics Veteran Supporter Alumni Campaign Benefactor Alumni

A certain unauthorized online seller, who shall remain nameless, is being aided by the new global chat system. I like think global chat - I think it's a great idea. However, I hope that EA/Mythic is able to develop a creative solution to deal with this person.

Some recommend placing him on ignore. The problem is, if you do a uo.com character search on his name, you'll find 290 characters with this name on Atlantic , alone. Moreover, since his accounts are being banned every day, he will easily be able to create new accounts faster than we can ignore them.

One potential solution is to prevent young players from speaking in global chat. Any other suggestions?

2. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

New players might need the help channel. Read the other chat thread.

3. Taylor

New players reading the global chat thread who follow various links on the promise of free gold might have their accounts hacked. There are both pros and cons.

4. Tazar

Tazar Guest

I think there is already code in there that he can not "spam" by repeating the same thing over and over... repeat statements are dropped so he at least has to be at his computer - putting up new statements for a while - or design a much more in-depth scrips. It's a start.

5. pgcd

pgcd Guest

That would kinda defeat the purpose of a global chat/help system, I'm afraid.
    Other solutions might be to a) add that site and others to the default "ignore" filter; or b) mangle the character name for young players.

6. Taylor

I noticed that you cannot repeat a phrase, as you can with normal speech. That was a really good idea. However, it seems that this particular individual has either found a way around it or learned to type unusually fast. :-/

7. Kelline

Kelline Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

something along these lines
    something along these lines.
    something along these lines..
    ect

althou he did actually talk besides the spam.. but yah there should be a filter or somethign cuz adding 209 name sof just him to ignore? pft

8. XD4_GL

XD4_GL Guest

Well, in WoW, trial accounts cannot speak in the general chat.

I'm sorry to say but new players have gone this long without a general chat function and don't need to be able to speak in it. It's not like there are thousands of new players popping up each day in our game. And it's not like new players will flock to UO because of a general chat.

Squelching them would be a very minor sacrifice.

Or like someone else mentioned, a credit card should be required to start a trial account. Once that credit card has been used, it cannot start another trial account for 30 days. Problem mostly solved. Can I have a paycheck Mythic?

9. Assia Penryn

Assia Penryn The Sleeping Dragon
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

You can't repeat the same thing twice in a row, however he's probably doing...

Selling blah blah 1
    Selling blah blah 2
    Selling blah blah 1
    Selling blah blah 2

Once you've said something else you can repeat a previous statement. I am glad it appears they have tried at least something to prevent such an occurrence. Something more will need to be done in order for folks to be able to enjoy the global channels to their fullest possibilities.

10. LadyKeroOfAtl

LadyKeroOfAtl UO Homes & Castles News Reporter
    Stratics Veteran

Nope.. Now he's just logged in on multiple accounts with chars named the similarly.

11. Taylor

General Trammel Now Completely Unusable

Try making out a single statement amid this mess:

[​IMG]

12. LadyKeroOfAtl

Stratics Veteran

you just beat me to that post. was gonna post basically the same screenshot.

The chat idea is actually really good, We'll just have to learn how to block out people like that and hopefully the devs can help with suggestions and tweaks.

13. Lord Urza

Lord Urza Guest

Well i hate this new global chat option :talktothehand:
    All i request is a toggle for it so i can set it to OFF!!

14. LadyKeroOfAtl

Stratics Veteran

You can set it to off.
    Well, You'll have to do it everytime you log in..
    But click the Chat button, then click Leave

15. Demonous

Demonous Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

how would they create new account so fast, its trial account per credit card

16. Prince Erik

Prince Erik Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

With all due respect to the dev team, this is NOT a very well thought out idea. Please make the default "I do not want to belong to a chat subsystem" the default until it is.

-P.E.

17. Jhym

Jhym Guest

Notice the player id# to the left.

If I was a dev/GM and wanting to catch people who were abusing the system, I'd monitor the logs and look for those player ids to ban.

Just sayin'.

18. LadyKeroOfAtl

Stratics Veteran

While this was going on..
    The character name had numbers after it.

I.E. Lets call him Bob.Com
    Bob 3, Bob 9 and Bob 10 were all in there and talking at one point.

They get around the spam filter by have an extra period on every other line.

System just needs a little tweaking, Although I will say I did enjoy watching the pvpers conversation on the chat while mining. Made it a lot more entertaining.

19. Blesh

Blesh Sage
    Stratics Veteran

you don't need a credit card anymore to make a trial account.

I've been making them for over a year from time to time to pop in and say hi to my legends friends. I even once made 12 accounts at once with the same email, jumble of letters name (asdasd) and so on.

If they required a credit card to make an account, it wouldn't be so easy for your problem spammer.

20. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

Yeah, although, it's probably on Young Players that will benefit from certain features of the chat, so there is a problem there :/. Maybe just cut out the trial accounts some how, I don't know...

21. flappy6

flappy6 Sage

what is global chat?that new?

22. Schuyler Bain

Schuyler Bain Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

I believe it has been stated more than once that while the client is patched the system is not live on most shards. Once it is you will not auto join a default channel every time. Perhaps there may be a better way of dealing with this once it is live? Let's hold our judgment until the system is completely live before we start throwing stones. For now simply leave the channel when you log in.

23. Shelleybean

Shelleybean Certifiable

Is there also a way to put players on ignore based on the id number? I haven't really figured out how the chat system works yet.

24. Mitzlplik_SP

Mitzlplik_SP Guest

THIS ^^

And hell yes on the credit card requirement for trial accounts.Thats a no brainer that EA could do that doesn`t even need coding.

25. Anfalas

Anfalas Guest

Young player status can be removed just by saying "I renounce my young player status". So unfortunately blocking young players from talking on there wouldnt help with the problem and would only penalize the actual young players.

26. the 4th man

the 4th man Lore Master

Well, when you have some moron, probably in some out of the way country, kicking his butt's out of the question......:gee:

Mythic, Giving in and allowing this cutesy-cutesy chat stuff has opened the door to these punks selling gold. Hello Pandoras box.

27. Mitzlplik_SP

Mitzlplik_SP Guest

LOL Giving in? Have you played other games outside UO? I`d say its more like catching up.

28. Taylor

Unfortunately, with 290 characters on our shard, it's fairly well impossible to ignore them all. In fact, this particular seller was taunting folks who suggested ignoring him last night, noting that he had far too many characters - and could create many more - for us to place on ignore.

29. Taylor

I dunno, but you're free to do a uo.com character search on his name, if you don't believe me.

30. Lissa Eldi

Lissa Eldi Guest

Trial accounts already have restrictions on them, seems it would be easy enough to take away chat permissions too. Like other games...can listen but not talk.

31. Schuyler Bain

Schuyler Bain Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

/agree

A trial is just that and trying the game does not require you to have access to all functions and features. Try it, get a feel for the game play and population and then become a paying customer to enjoy all the benefits of full status.

I know there are a number of new games geared at a younger audience that allow a lot of play for free, but that is not UO and never will be. Simply remove chat access or limit access to a help/new player channel for trial accounts and be done with it.

32. Taylor

Yes, trial accounts is a much better idea than young accounts. Besides, as noted above, young players can renounce their status. Good thinking.

33. Splup

Splup Guest

Here.

34. Restroom Cowboy

Restroom Cowboy Visitor

Two words...Extreme Gamer...

35. Demonous

how do u open up the channel menu to go into different channels?

36. Taylor

You'd think this guy'd be more worried about being infamous. I knew someone who tracked down the guy's street address. If we hadn't talked him out of paying this guy a visit . . . o_O

37. Taylor

In 2d, there's a chat button on your menu bar, along with buttons for map, paperdoll, inventory, journal, and help. Click the chat button, select the chat channel you would like to join, then click the "join" button.

38. Demonous

ah no wonder why, my menu bar was always disabled, they should have just made it an option in the paperdoll menu

39. jfkeach

jfkeach Guest

Yes, me too.. I turn it off every time i log in.

40. jfkeach

jfkeach Guest

If you only knew... his previous char was in fact infamous... got banned for hacking accounts. Google this chars name, and then visit the HOT boards to see who he used to be... very interesting.

41. Taylor

Yeah, I remember his toon, Xtremegamer, on Atlantic. Somehow, he was less annoying in game than he is now. -.-

42. jfkeach

jfkeach Guest

Well, he got banned for his actions, and I think this new char is his form of retribution on EA/Mythic and the community. I sent info to Mythic proving he was spoofing IPs, and they are unwilling to take any action.

Seriously getting tired of the game, and the lack of support from Mythic. Anyone want to buy a castle, keep, and two houses on atlantic?

43. Tazar

Tazar Guest

Sorry... this WILL NOT WORK! It is just too easy go get prepaid cards - or mastercard "gift-cards" by the dozen.

44. Mark Trail

Mark Trail Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

PGCD had a good idea: Any name starting with UOW is added to the default ignore filters for in-game speech and all chat channels.

45. Taylor

Is there any way to add someone in global chat to your ignore list? It seems I can only add them if I see their character.

46. Tazar

Tazar Guest

No way yet - and even if you did - he'll be on another character in an hour doing the same...

47. Paps

Paps Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

go ahead and post the guys street address.After a freindly visit or two maybe the spam will stop.:p

48. Taylor

Well, there are other folks I wouldn't mind ignoring, as well. :lol:

49. IgorBR

IgorBR Guest

The sad thing is that putting so many restrictions could keep potential new players away from the game. I think some kind of filterl would be created, if possible, so some words could not be written in chat or some groups of words together. But anyway, they'll always find a way to pass it out.

50. Taylor

I don't think that preventing trial accounts from speaking in global chat would keep subscribers away. WOW has that restriction and look at their population.