1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Global Chat and Trial Accounts

Discussion in 'UHall' started by sablestorm, Sep 7, 2015.

1. sablestorm

sablestorm Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Might I make a suggestion? Can we allow Trial Accounts to sit in global chat and read what is going on, but prevent them from chatting? I know on Pacific, the shard community can really be seen by the interaction in general chat. I think it would be beneficial for new players to see that activity and they'd have incentive to subscribe so they could communicate back with everyone else. I'd also recommend popping them immediately into general chat when they first login. If they wish, they can disable chat after or switch to a quieter channel.

What's more, for us vets who are using trial accounts for various projects, it'd be nice to see the conversations and not be stuck in Help Chat where things are so lonely!

Dot_Warner and Spock's Beard like this.
  2. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Various projects, now that is interesting that you would use a 2 week trial account and the only project that I can think you would be doing is spamming Help Chan and dropping books for your RMT site and you want access to reg chans. NO NO NO NO Keep trial accounts out of reg chat

Keith of Sonoma likes this.
  3. Gidge

Gidge Sage
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend BoE

If it is that important, run two UOs. I'd be terrified for new players to see what is said in general chat.

Dot_Warner and Lord Frodo like this.
  4. MoxZinnia

MoxZinnia Adventurer

Sometimes general chat is quite ugly. Might be better if new players find that they like the game before they are subjected to some of the less pleasant aspects of UO. There are a lot of great and helpful people on gen chat, but the few jerks do spend a great deal of time and effort to make things horrid.

Lord Frodo likes this.
  5. Giggles

Giggles Forum Administrator
    Administrator Moderator Professional Stratics Veteran Social Media Liaison Campaign Supporter The Squirrel Empire

That's true but I don't think anyone looking for a new game is concerned with the chat being totally rated G. Go into WoW chat for 5 minutes.. Even the pvp trash talk in UO is relatively mild compared to some global chats of more modern games. Well except for the personal attacks that happen randomly. But that's a whole other issue by itself. A couple people exchanging words is not going to discourage anyone. I always thought new players must feel pretty isolated. Someone new won't know how to go to the main population or chat anyways. So a default to general chat with typing restrictions sounds good to me.

SoftServeDreams likes this.
  6. Vor

Vor Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I used dozens and dozens of trial accounts back in the day for RP events. So no. RMT is not the only 'project'.

sablestorm and Dot_Warner like this.
  7. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

i agree, not being able to see general chat makes the game look deader than it even is. trial accounts should be able to see, but not participate in all chats.

8. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Much as I hate to admit I agree. We want newer players to see the chat... I just don't want the cheating of the free to spam chat. So it would be nice if they could see it but got some message about how only paid accounts can post in it.

9. Merlin

Merlin The Enchanter
    Moderator Professional Campaign Patron UWF

New players/trial accounts who legitimately may need general chat or want some way to communicate shouldn't be prevented from doing so just because a few folks don't want to be annoyed by spam.

On lesser populated shards, what method would a new player or trial account even have to communicate with people if they couldn't find anyone at the bank? Even on Atlantic, I will from time to time find new players/trial account toons walking around Brit Bank saying "hey I haven't played in 10 years, where did everyone go?". While they usually can find help easier in Luna or New Haven on Atlantic, that simply isn't always the case on low pop shards. Having gen chat atleast gives them the option to shout out, looking for someone.

10. Keith of Sonoma

Keith of Sonoma Certifiable

If you are a vet, why would you need a trial acct? I'm not being a smart a$$, I really just can't think of any reason I would EVER need one.

Lord Frodo likes this.
  11. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Then why don't you monitor HELP Chan on your shard like other shards do.

12. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Because for some silly reason I can only be in ONE chat at a time which means 9 out of 10 times I'm either in Gen Chat or EM chat. If I were in Help chat 99% of the time all I'd hear is the spambot..

13. Merlin

Merlin The Enchanter

New players might not know that. And for smaller shards, help chat can be pretty much dead outside of peak hours.

14. Spock's Beard

How did you manage to see the part where he says to let trial accounts see general chat, but miss the part where he said they shouldn't be able to actually chat in it? Both of those things are literally in the same sentence. Did you seriously just read the first half of the sentence and then immediately stop so you could go crazy typing NO NO NO?

UO chat is pretty much exactly like the chat in every other MMO in the world. When I see comments like this I can't help but imagine that the person making it hasn't played many other games and doesn't really know what they're talking about.

15. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Seriously what good what that do for a new player to be able to listen to Gen Chat and not be able to talk or ask questions. People really need to use that gray matter before asking for changes. Being able to listen to gen chat and I bet they want EM Chat in there too so they can have trial accounts there at the events is about one of the most stupid things I have seen. This request is NOT FOR NEW PLAYERS it is for people using trial accounts for what ever reason. IMHO Vets should not be allowed to use trial accounts because mostly they are used to abuse UO not benefit it. Please use some common sense, I know that may be a little hard for some considering some of the replies in this thread. There is not one reason a NEW player needs in any other chat but HELP.

Keith of Sonoma likes this.
  16. Spock's Beard

It lets them see that other people play the game, people they could be talking to if they were a paid subscriber. If I recall, this is how MOST games with trial accounts work. Because there isn't actually any value in forbidding new players from even SEEING chat.

17. Scribbles

Scribbles Babbling Loonie
    Professional Alumni

@Assia Penryn had the best idea yet as far as I am concerned. In my opinion it solves all known problems facing trial accounts. Make the trial account a .99 cent fee.

I think everyone here has a legitimate concern, that should be addressed by UO. @Assia Penryn 's Idea seems the best way to solve them that i can tell.

Assia Penryn likes this.
  18. Assia Penryn

Assia Penryn The Sleeping Dragon
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

This is what I posted in the other thread that @Scribbles is referring to:

What about requiring a small fee to start a trial account? Like 99 cents. If the account stays active past trial time, the 99 cents is deducted from the first monthly subscription. They could then ban the "card"... wouldn't stop them, but sure make it more annoying.

Scribbles likes this.
  19. Merlin

Merlin The Enchanter

You shouldn't have to put your credit card down just to spend .99 cents. That's silly. People like me, who came back and stayed because of the trial period, would have avoided it all together if I had to put my CC down upfront before even playing the game for a single day. Normally I am a driver of increasing revenues, but this won't help in the long run.

What if the card for the trial account is also a card for paid subscriptions? Ban that card and potentially screw up someone's accounts, anger them overall and lose a subscriber? I'm not so sure about this.

Account management is already convoluted enough. Let's not start off by having people who haven't even dedicated to paying a one month fee have to sign up just to spend .99 cents.

SoftServeDreams likes this.
  20. Gidge

Gidge Sage
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend BoE

You are correct that I have not played other games....call me Ishma.... err call me dedicated!), but I am privileged enough to be in a gaming house where not only MMO chat is prevalent via typing it is also prevalent via voice chat as well. Oh boy! and filth is universal. :)

Now to help you un-assume. I was simply trying to help by giving a suggestion to prevent her said loneliness. Gosh can't a girl help another girl????!!!! Unless the OP is a guy, then Gosh, can't a girl help a guy!???

As far as I not knowing what I am really talking about... and hello talking to me in the third party like the snooty highfalutin up town ladies do when the unsightly girl walks in wearing last decades fashion!!! It was was an opinion which I am highly entitled to whether society likes it or not. :) I would be terrified. :)

Sometimes it's the way it is said. let's try this.

Heya Sablestorm, Until they address your concern and implement your awesome idea, you can always run two UO's at once and that way you can still see what's being said. Although I know how bad video games are throughout the realm of online gaming, I myself would be terrified for anyone to hear the awful things that are typed into chat that might be new to gaming.

Now see that really sounded kinda sarcastic and well as much as I can be much so very really a whole lotta sarcastic. I prefer to Keep It Simple. But then sometimes I get all spunky and riled up and type a lot.

Lord Frodo likes this.
  21. sablestorm

sablestorm Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

You don't train up characters to spam help chat. No, these are RP characters to serve as villains or extras for RP Events. By the way, did you read what I wrote. The trial accounts would be silent in general chat. RMT sites would not be able to advertise.

22. sablestorm

sablestorm Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I just replied to this but I'll reply again. I'm training up characters to serve as villains or event extras for my roleplaying events. The current guy I'm training today is a captain of the Vardish, a people of Jhelomish origin who attempted to raid Skaran lands, but their ships were burned by the Skaran defenders. They were forced to flee into the Dragonpeaks mountains where they barely survived but now ages later, their numbers are stronger and they will be making war against the current governor of Skara and her forces. This particular captain will lead a small raid that will kick off the storyline and I'll reactivate the Chieftain of the Vardish account when I engage PEC Wraith's services for the larger scale event.

23. sablestorm

sablestorm Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I actually do run two clients a lot when I'm training up a trial account character. It's still a pain to flip flop between clients and sometimes I miss people who login to say hi and then logoff again. =\

#23 sablestorm, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
    Gidge likes this.