1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Global Chat

Discussion in 'UHall' started by smip, Dec 13, 2009.

1. smip

smip Slightly Crazed
    Premium Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Is there a way to turn this off? I use the 2d client and all that chat interfears with my hunting. I like the idea of the chat but like any game.. there are the abusers that make it a turn off...

2. Stupid Miner

Stupid Miner Guest

best option so far is switch to a server no one's using.

3. Schuyler Bain

Schuyler Bain Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Sure, open the chat interface, choose "leave." You may need to do this every time you login until the full update has been pushed to all shards not just the test center. It's a bit of a pain right now, but should be a non-issue once the update is live.

4. Stupid Miner

Stupid Miner Guest

Doesnt work for 2d, all it does is close the Chat window, it doesn't exit any chat rooms

5. Schuyler Bain

Schuyler Bain Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Does for me... perhaps part of the oddities we have been warned about? (working for some and not for others)

6. Sevin0oo0

Sevin0oo0 Guest

treat it like twitter - when it becomes further totally useless, it'll be fixed, my guess is upper management wanted this, and someone w/o a clue.
    Who in EA wanted this? Speak up!

7. Katrena

Katrena Sage
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Can someone please tell me how to open the chat window in the 2d classic version. I can not find anything after the patch.

Thanks, Katrena

8. uoBuoY

uoBuoY Guest

I use 2D and Leave worked for me UNTIL this evening. What's strange is: Your current channel: None

9. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Open up the chat gump.

The chat gump may be opened by clicking the "chat" button in the menu at the top of your screen, the one that can be opened and closed by clicking the little arrow.

Once you have opened the chat gump, you have a few options.

Option 1 is to click on a channel no one is using. One possibility is "General Chat--Ilshenar." Most shards seem to have a channel called "silence" or "don't bother me." Whatever you want, click on it, then click join.

And enjoy the silence.

Option 2 is to click the channel you think you are currently, and then click "leave" or "exit" or whatever the command is. (I forget.)

Look at this as the Beta period for the chat system.

-Galen's player

10. Nexus

Nexus Site Support
    Administrator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron

A lot of players have asked for something like this too, don't lay all the blame on EA.

11. That's because UO used to have a chat module but some years back they disabled it. The reasoning was that there were any number of 3rd party chat clients out there that they (a) didn't have to maintain and (b) didn't have to handle the network traffic for. Some players still miss the old chat system and have asked for it back. I applaud them for listening to their player base but this one should have been QA'd a bit better: it wasn't quite ready for prime time.

12. Cat Crimson

Cat Crimson Guest

There was nothing wrong with the old chat client apart from people being too damn lazy to use it, ignorant of its existence or just preferring the bells and whizzes of 3rd party chat client and *shudder* vent. Why the hell they had to change it, I'll never know. Its not actually any more functional than the old client and its a whole shedload more annoying. Grrr.