1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

GM Necro needed for Sampire? And a few more questions...

Discussion in 'UO Warrior' started by hizack, Oct 8, 2010.

1. hizack

hizack Guest

I'm looking to start a sampire. Been read through a lot of (old) posts. Not sure some of them are still valid today.

1. Do I need real GM necro skill to cast VE? Some posts said just needed 35 and then wear a lot of expensive gears to get to 100, and then cast VE.

2. I have two warrior templates, one is a kind of tank mage and another is a pure pally. Is it better to transform one of them to a sampire or start anew a character?

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Joxter

Joxter Guest

No you don't need GM necro you need 99 to be able to cast the all important VE.

You can use jewelery to bump your skill up but be aware that if you remove this jewelery you will drop VE so your stuck with whatever +skill items you needed to cast it.

You can salvage whatever skills you have on your old chars for your sampire, its what I did. Obviously this needs a soulstone.

Template suggestion

120 weapon
    120 bushido
    99 necro
    65 chiv

120 tactics
    100 anatomy
    100 healing

The first 4 skills are essential sampire basics, the second 3 are subject to personal choice.

I recently dropped parry for healing and I much prefer having an active heal as well as the leech from VE.

Hope this helps.

3. Pretty much what Joxter said. I have a similar template. and use Jewelry to bring the anatomy up to 115/120. I would change one of your warriors over to a Sampire - it takes a bit to get used to the differences, but you'll be glad you did.

If you have the soul stones, experiment changing the 100 Healing out with Parry and Spirit Speak, and even Resist. They all have their uses in different situations and you may find you prefer one over the other.

4. hizack

hizack Guest

Thank you Joxter and Old Man of UO! Now my doubts are cleared and I'll go ahead to train necro and stone up skills not needed. Great help from you thank you!

5. [JD]

[JD] Guest

pretty much what jox said though the tactics are mandatory if you want to use a weapons specials (and you will, or you won't be able to whirlwind).

you must have 70 and 90 weapon/tac to perform the 1st and 2nd weapon specials respectively. a common stopping point for sampires is gm tactics as there is a 13% (stupid miner's figure i believe) DI bonus from 90 tac to gm.

6. Tabby Kapak

Tabby Kapak Journeyman
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Benefactor

Sorry to use this thread, but my question is related I think. I am still wondering, what is the big importance of having VE over Curse weapon? In other words, could a Wraith form with Curse weapon (and petals) also tank a boss? :confused:

7. Thunderz

Thunderz Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Yep its doable, its actually the best way to do travesty and iv seen people doing dreadhorn that way aswell. Also i think one of the champs is best done like that (cant remember her name)

Thunderz

8. Klapauc

Klapauc Sage
    Stratics Veteran

For bosses ,wraith form and curse weapon work the same or even better because of the additional mana leech from wraith you may be able to chain high damage weapon specials.
    Disadvantages are the need for reagents , being on foot so you cannot use an armored swamp dragon and low karma so you need to cast a lot of consecrate weapon.
    Curse weapon gets disrupted now and then by getting hit, paralyze, or mana drain. Or you just forgot to cast it.
    The bright side is,suit building can be alot easier, no need for +25 fire resist and you get away with much lower stamina because of the higher life leech. Low damage weapons with 2s or 2.25s base speed will be good enough to kill everything that you can kill on a melee char.
    In short i think sampire is easier to play but more expensive to equip, wammy is easier to build but a bit harder to play.

9. Thunderz

Thunderz Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Elemental wepons all the way ;)

Thunderz

10. Thrakkar

Thrakkar Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Most guides also suggest the parry skill. Some even make parry a core skill. Now I'm a little bit confused, since I'm also trying to build my first sampire.

Another question regarding the weapon:
    Does the sampire use a 2H-weapon or 1H & Shield?

11. Pinco

Pinco UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I'm for parry. With parry you increase the chance to survive if you learn to use the samurai defensive stance.

For get more advantages from this template you need to use potions so: 1H weapon only (no shield or you get a parrying malus...)

12. Klapauc

Klapauc Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Im also for parry. Not neccessary gm or higher, but enough to reach 300 combined points in bushido,weaponskill and parry to get the -10 mana cost bonus for your weapon specials. That and the ability to use evasion make it my favourite.
    As for weapons, i think leafblade is the best choice currently for single high end mobs.

13. Joxter

Joxter Guest

Parry is optional, I never got on with it but to be honest im a pretty poor sampire, i still have a lot of learning to do! I just like having an active heal.

Sampires use either a 1handed or 2handed weapon, never a shield.

14. Obsidian

Obsidian UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

My main sampire runs the standard template with:

120 Mace Fighting
    120 Bushido
    120 Parrying
    100 Tactics
    100 Anatomy
    99 Necromancy
    61 Chivalry

I like this for the durability. I can stand webbed at Navrey and maybe get hit once before the web wears off. I am working on a secondary sampire on the same shard. His template is the same as Stupid Miner's:

120 Mace Fighting
    120 Bushido
    120 Archery
    100 Tactics
    100 Necromancy
    100 Spirit Speak
    60 Chivalry

He's still in training, but is shaping up nicely. He was my ABC Archer. The biggest benefit of the template is flexibility. I can melee or use archery in vamp or wraith form. And I can use curse weapon and corpse skin too. Once he's done, I'll head to Navrey's lair and see how he stands up toe to toe. That will be my personal test to see how effective parry is versus no-parry.

-OBSIDIAN-