1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

[Lock Picking] GM'ing Lock Picking

Discussion in 'UO Fishing and Treasure Hunting' started by Jayden Rose, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Jayden Rose

Jayden Rose Visitor

Hi guys/gals! Just returning after many years of being away from UO. I have a questions sbout GM'ing lockpicking.

In the past I GM'ed by using 200 gm made lock boxes and many hours of picking them. Is this still the best way to go about it? I just don't want to buy a ton of boxes if this is not the best method. Thanks for the advise!

Missed you all! Good to be back!

2. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

I used 1 gm made box with a lock / unlock macro on a loop in the EC. this took me to 95 then I used a 5.0 SOT

Duncan McDermott likes this.
  3. Jayden Rose

Jayden Rose Visitor

Glad I asked. That sounds a lot better than 200 boxes. Thanks for the info :)

4. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

You can also use the satyr trick to get discorded and it will (I think) allow you to get to GM if you don't want to buy a SOT for the last part.

5. Jayden Rose

Jayden Rose Visitor

Thanks, I think I will give that a try :)

6. Lord Taliesin

Lord Taliesin Seasoned Veteran

I used an alacrity scroll and the spawning chests in the Yew crypts for the last 5 points. Mark a rune for the crypt, eat a scroll, pick chests to get a gain, recall home, log out, repeat the next day, etc. It takes a week or two from 95-100 and you can't log the character in for anything else or you'll run out of time on the scroll but it works.

7. JeepGoesBeep

JeepGoesBeep Visitor

How were you able to loop a macro in EC? Ive been trying to find a way to do this without any luck...

8. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

I make the macro and test it out. Then open up my character file in notepad, find the lines for that macro and just copy and paste them over and over. Reload the game and then set it to repeat x10.

Technically its not a indefinite loop but it will pretty much run all day long!

[​IMG]

9. JeepGoesBeep

JeepGoesBeep Visitor

Awesome...I never thought of repeating it over and over in the macro that many times and then doing that 10x. I dont even need all day heh, just a few hours here and there will work since I sit and watch attended...

thanks again!

10. Duncan McDermott

Duncan McDermott Seasoned Veteran

I know this is some months old post but do you remember what your level was when you started using the GM box? I have a new character with 35 LP wanting to train him up.

11. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

Its all I used from about 40 skill right up to 95.

Duncan McDermott likes this.
  12. Duncan McDermott

You must have gone through a pile of Lock picks?

13. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

I can't remember as it was a couple of years ago. I have GM tinker so making them is pretty easy. If I was going to do it again I would just use a mythic token to start with 90 skill and then just buy SOTs to finish it off to 100. I just don't have the patience any more!

14. Duncan McDermott

I had my gm tinker make a box and 100 LP just to get started. My picker is 52.0 and has gone through 40 of the picks. Lucky I am right next to a mine so picks are easy to keep making. Gains seems to be pretty good. The ball says very challenging and I have yet to pick the lock. Good tip Thanks

15. MisPrinTed LiEs

MisPrinTed LiEs Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

I spent alot of time Vesper Bank

16. jeza

jeza Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Sorry if my question is silly but I really cannot find the answer by myself .

I raised my lockpicking the "hard way" up to 92 but now I gain very slowly, I wanted to make a macro on the EC client to get me as high as possible on my GM tinker box but I don't get how this one works, I mean this would be for a chest/box that you never manage to unlock, right ? Or I missed the re-locking the box part of it :p

Also in the macros described for UOA there is an IF condition : IF the box unlocks after your lockpick attempt you use the key to lock it, is there a way to make that IF in the EC ?

17. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

yes you have to lock it back. but, I never bothered with the "if" when I was training - I just ran the macro, making 1 or two picking attempt per box in a set of 20 boxes (back when there was code that made gaining off a single boxes almost impossible), then had the macro use the key ring on all of them (a lot of people have forgotten key rings over the last decade, which combine multiple keys into one object for macros). I'd have macros set up for all three chests of 20 boxes at the local training house (which, ironically, was passed to me when the old head of THB on my shard left a decade ago, and I've moved it twice since)

Having attempts fail because some of the boxes were unlocked were just part of the territory, but I went back at the end of a session and re-locked everything so that when I came back hours or days later, I'd start with all locked boxes.

18. jeza

jeza Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Oh well ... thinking about installing CC just to grab UOA just to have a macro that does everything by itself :p
    Or just leave off the GM chests and go for dungeon chests, less boring

THanks for the answer anyway :D