1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Greetings Guest! Tonights Maintenance is complete and the Stratics Community Wiki is now live. Please see this thread for more details.
    Dismiss Notice

GOG Releasing Ultima I-IV Next Week

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Woodsman, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

Ultima 1-4 Coming To Good Old Games Next Tuesday! | Ultima Aiera

Most of us have them already in some form, but this will make it cheap and easy to legally obtain them for those who don't. Ultima IV is on the Ultima4Ever website for free, but if GOG offers it, then it'll be pre-wrapped for Windows.

The first three Ultimas are...probably not that important for most UO players, but still a nice trip down memory lane.

I didn't realize they were offering Wing Commander already http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/wing_commander_1_2

I know what I'm doing this evening.
  2. Marcellis

Marcellis Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

May 15, 2008
    Ahh, the memories. When Ultima III was released, my friend bought it for his Atari ST. It was at this time I realised, I needed to get a computer. I must play this game!
  3. Sevin0oo0

Sevin0oo0 Guest

ug, reminds me I need to finish learning about dosbox
  4. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

If you buy them off of GOG, you won't need to mess with dosbox. The Wing Commander games, you may need to edit a text file to get Roland/MT-32 sound emulation working properly, but the Ultimas are pretty basic.

If you download Ultima IV off of Ultima4ever, then you will need to definitely mess with dosbox.
  5. Capn Kranky

Capn Kranky Guest

I played 1-3 on the Atari 8-bit systems (800, 1200 and 130XE). Was fun then and every so often I pull out my Dragon Edition and give them a whirl.
  6. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Jul 11, 2004
  7. Muu Bin

Muu Bin Guest

Ultima... ah yes... mid-to-early 80's for me on the family's Apple II (or was it the Apple II-plus?). And then who remembers "Zork"? Am I dating myself?
  8. temu

temu Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Apr 14, 2006
    I still own and play Ultima Exodus and Ultima Quest of the Avatar for NES. Great games. Also, I recommend Ultima VII the Black Gate. It's interesting to realize where some of the UO content originates from!
  9. PASmountaindew

PASmountaindew Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Nov 12, 2001
    My earliest computer game memory was playing Bard's Tales on an old IBM 8808 or something computer.
  10. Sevin0oo0

Sevin0oo0 Guest

Thanks, yeah, I still have them on floppy, or in a zip on a floppy, still have several boxes of discs, decoders and such (trashed the orig boxes to save space) just haven't played any since I put away my x386's and moved on to the Memphis platform (probably about the time mp3's became more common - back in the 90's). If i remember right about the early ultima's, you have to type in directional control? pita, but has shortcut keys or something?
  11. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

They weren't using a mouse if that's what you're wondering.

And they are up:

$5.99 for all three, properly packaged in DOSBox, and it comes with manuals, cluebook, spellbook, and maps. I don't see any mention of Ultima IV, so maybe they didn't get permission.

They take up 15 MB of hard drive space, so make sure you have enough space!

On a related note, Paul Barnett, the guy behind the Warhammer arena game and supposedly behind the Ultima4ever project, talked to GOG at PAX this past weekend and said he was working out the issues of the expansions for the Origin games. GOG is apparently very cautious about expansions because of bad experiences in the past or something (perhaps third party expansions biting them in the butt), but he seems to feel that everything is worked out and they'll be doing something about them shortly. I'm glad they are working that out with Wing Commander games and Privateer before they get to Ultima VII. It wasn't too popular for those games to come out without the expansions.

Barnett seems obsessed with getting the whole of Origin's catalog up on GOG.

Hopefully they'll do Ultima V and VI as a package deal, and then release Ultima VII and its expansions as one package.

You're going to have to be dedicated to the Ultima games to want to play I-III. The graphics are very crude. But you get to fly a spaceship into space. Funny how life imitated art for Garriott.

Hopefully they will do Savage Empires and Martian Dreams at some point as well.
  12. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

This is the bigger description:

There was a lot of crazy crap in the first 3 (or 4 if you count Akalabeth) Ultimas. Anybody playing these for the first time, try not to really apply them to UO outside of the characters/names and some of the places. Garriott had no problem expanding and remaking the world of Ultima as the hardware got better and as he needed to. That includes remaking some of the characters and lore as he went along.

IV is kind of where things to start to be a lot more coherent and recognizable to UO players, but UO still diverged from the single-player Ultima universe.
  13. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

Ultima IV is now up on GOG.com as of this morning and it's free:

Ultima® 4: Quest of the Avatar - GOG.com

IV is where the Ultima series really starts to turn into the Ultima that we know, even if UO diverged from it. If you want VGA graphics and MIDI music, you can download the above and then apply the patches found here: http://www.moongates.com/u4/upgrade/Upgrade.htm

There is also a new engine using the existing install for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux: http://xu4.sourceforge.net/

If you want something a little newer, there is a high resolution/sandbox mod for Ultima IX that offers updated graphics that was just updated:

Beautiful Britannia 2011 R2 Released! | Ultima Aiera (screenshots)

FORGOTTEN WORLD - An Ultima IX Ascension Mod

You do need an actual install of Ultima IX - this is just a mod for it.
  14. elianydd

elianydd Guest

Funny thing is, I can remember playing and enjoying the FIRST THREE Ultimas, and when IV came out, being a bit disappointed because it WASN'T the Ultima that I knew and loved. Not that it wasn't a lot of fun, but it removed the OPTION of being able to play the way you wanted, and instead FORCED you to play a certain way.
  15. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

Good God you're old :stretcher:

Just kidding. I actually loved IV because it got away from the hack-and-slash type of games, but I can see where you're coming from.

I bet we can both agree that II got really weird.
  16. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

And Ultima V and VI have made an appearance at GOG now:

:danceb: If you haven't played IV - VI, grab them now, especially if you are a Stygian Abyss fan. VI gives some/most of the backstory to those Gargoyle characters you've been playing.

That was quick, but welcome news. IV is freely downloadable from GOG and from UltimaForever.com, so you're basically paying for V and VI, which are substantially larger than I-III.

This might mean that Ultima VII, it's packs, and Ultima VIII are around the corner.

And for something totally insane and related, Chris Roberts maybe working on a new Wing Commander:

BREAKING NEWS: Is a New Wing Commander Already In the Works? - Wing Commander CIC :danceb: :danceb: :danceb:
  17. Crysta

Crysta Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

May 12, 2008
    As always, am praying Lost Vale gets released somehow.
  18. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

I read somewhere the master copy was lost, although I have a hard time believing that a developer didn't sneak out a copy.

This was kind of an interesting read of some of the plot points:

Looking Back on 20 years – The Lost Vale « FEM IRL

Dino's Ultima Page - Ultima 8 Guide - The Lost Vale

They should just work Lost Vale into UO. Imagine announcing Ultima Online: Lost Vale

Then again they've got a lot of stuff from Ultima VII they could use as well. But if they were ever to add another area to UO, Lost Vale could be an interesting quest-based area. Make it a booster or something.

Would be amazing if they could get Lost Vale released though. Given the problems with the expansions for the Origin games that GOG seemed to be having, I doubt Lost Vale would happen, but man it would generate publicity.