1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Graphics or Gameplay?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Velvathos, May 15, 2008.

?

Which Is more Important to you, graphics or gameplay?

Poll closed May 25, 2008.
  1. It is all about gameplay, graphics are secondary

46 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. It is all about graphics, gameplay is secondary

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. I prefer a balanced approach

21 vote(s)
    30.4%
  4. I dont care, just want to kill stuff

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Velvathos

Velvathos Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I am wondering how people feel about this.

Personally, I prefer good gameplay, something that has been slipping away from UO for a while now..

2. Kaj

Kaj Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I prefer Gameplay.

I've worked in the game industry when it was growing a lot and all the designers that went just for graphics are now in the gutter and those that went for a combination of both are still at the top.
    Nintendo Wii also sells better than PS3.

Graphics can keep you entertained for 30 mins. Good gameplay can keep you entertained nearly forever. This also explains the increasing popularity of browser games (some are even text based). Games like Neopets.com have several million players, and that's just one of many.

3. Halister Marner

Halister Marner Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

I used to be into graphics, but over time, I've come to accept that the content of the game and not how it looks is the most important. I've seen some visually impressive games with incredible content (The Witcher for example), but most games with impressive visuals come lacking in the gameplay department. I suppose UO is a good example of that, the graphics aren't great but it's still running higher subscriptions than some of the more modern, flashier MMO's.

4. Marcellis

Marcellis Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

Gameplay definitely. I still pull out XCOM, MOO2, Heroes of Might & Magic, Fallout, etc on my Win98 box occasionally.

5. Dermott of LS

Dermott of LS UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran

Both.

Graphics and Gameplay are not mutually exclusive of each other, and an non-ending online game has the ability to continuously update graphics and interface to stay up to date if it so desires.

6. Hunters Moon

Hunters Moon Guest

Give me UO gameplay and add WoW graphics and I would honestly be willing to pay $20 a month to play.

7. Velvathos

Velvathos Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I wouldn't, I hate WoW graphics.. It is way too cartoonish.. Give me graphics from like, Unreal Tournament 4, Gears of War 1 or 2, or Elder Scrolls Oblivion.. You know, something along the lines of this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYsUi80jOE4

And I will pay $20 a month..

Don't get me wrong, I also don't like the current KR graphics, I would actually prefer WoW graphics over KR>.

8. Hunters Moon

Hunters Moon Guest

Oh I like the link you gave there. When I saw that guy coming out of the gate with that rhino I thought "Hey...a gaman would look sweet there in UO" I named WoW only because of its popularity,and also I would like to see UO with a population of over a million players,hey...it could happen. Oh and for the cartoonish graphics I do agree that they are cartoonish but I like the background art alot and I always liked the sunset and sunrise effect. The UO instant night/day is just odd to me

9. deadite

deadite Sage
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend It's My Birthday

Obviously I voted Gameplay first, Graphics second.

But the question is... how many people who hang out in a UO forums are actually going to care about graphics? People who still play UO definitely don't put graphics first. :p

10. Kaj

Kaj Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Actually some of my friends get an headache from the WoW graphics. UO's (2D especially) graphics are really easy on the eyes in seems.
    So the graphics might be out of date, but they are highly efficient.

11. Sip-n-Shine

Sip-n-Shine Guest

It is all about game play for me.

• About Us

Stratics is the oldest continually running MMORPG Fansite on the Internet. Founded in 1997 Stratics has served the Ultima Online Community for 18 years. We strive to provide the most complete social experience for Ultima Online players.
  • Subscribe Now!

Want to provide Continual Support? Subscribe and gain additional benefits as a patron of Stratics.com!
    Subscribe Now!

Stratics Professional Accounts feature the following advantages:

• Ad-Free Browsing of our Forums
    • Upload a custom Profile Cover
    • Unlimited media upload storage space
    • Use of the theme styler
    • Ability to collapse the sidebar
    • Premium background themes to choose from
    • Access to additional features of the Classifieds System
    • Ability to Customize Your User Title
    • No Post Delays
    • Additional Signature Allowances:
    • Special Professional Banner Display with your Account
    • PM Allowance Upgrade
    • Additional Thread Allowances
  • Support Us!

Don't feel like subscribing? Donations to benefit the further development of Stratics and for purchase and inclusion of additional features are always welcome.

Donate to us!