1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Greater Dragons

Discussion in 'UO Warrior' started by prssre, Dec 19, 2008.

1. prssre

prssre Guest

Is there any way for a Pally to kill a greater dragon. My stats are as follows

85 chiv
    100 swords
    100 heal
    100 anat
    100 magic res.
    100 parry
    100 tactics

my gear has these resists
    70 phy
    70 fire
    70 energy
    60's in other resists

I carry a dragon slayer wep. I have jousted, and used Destard's entrance to no avail.

I have still yet to kill one since they appeared. THEY ALWAYS KILL ME.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

P.S. No mages reply please. According to ya'll, an energy vortex will kill Superman.
    Thanks again.

2. RichDC

RichDC Guest

All i can say is with great difficulty!

I think i have killed maybe 2 on a swords since they spawned.

My advice would be pot up and try and toe-toe do as much damage as quick as possible (you need to lower the HP so breath doesnt insta kill!) then run heal up and go back and do it all over again (oh...and pray another doesnt spawn rite on top of you LOL!)

3. Farsight

Farsight Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

In your case, probably not.

Greater dragons spawn with 115-145 wrestling. That means that you'll be hitting them about one time in 3 to 2 times in 5 (34-40 %) assuming you don't have skill gain or HCI items.

Then if they hit you, breath on you and cast an energy bolt or flame strike in the same moment (has been known to happen), you're dead in an instant.

So without an extra 15-20 points in swords, you don't stand a lot of chance, and even if you do, I'd still bet on the dragon nearly every time, no matter what tactic you use.

I'm not saying that it's impossible, just too difficult to make it worth the effort.

4. 5% Luck

5% Luck Guest

Try building up honor and use it on yourself just at the right moment. A vamp has a much better chance especially with HLA HDL and lightning strike. ML will go a long way as well but a slayer with all 3 and DI SSi is pretty rare.

Good Luck!

5. You'd be better off with the standard Sampire type weapon that also has the Dragon/Reptile slayer property on it. I've taken down many a GD with a Dragon Slayer Elven Machete that has ML and SL on it. A bob & weave here and there along with judicious use of Evasion and they go down pretty quick.

6. I have to agree with this. You need to boost your template up if you're going to take on the high end creatures. GM wep skill just doesn't cut it anymore, and you really need 120 Parry & Bushido too.

7. prssre

prssre Guest

Thnx for the advice guys. I guess I'll go and re-evaluate my template.

8. GFY

GFY Guest

Try bringing along a friend and stand toe to toe and heal each other. 2 second heals and another person doing damage could make the difference.

Max DCI wouldn't hurt either, a weapon with HLA & HLD would help.

Remember he said Paladin not Samouri, he doesn't have bushido on his template.

9. Diomedes Artega

Diomedes Artega Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Your template as it stands...even with a nice dragon slayer would not be enough to efficiently or for that matter even hardly scratch a greater dragon enough to kill it.

And...you don't need bushido or sampire or anything like that. Just boost your swords and make adjustments in other areas. I have zero trouble with them and I don't use bushido or sampire template setup.

10. Stupid Miner

Stupid Miner Guest

Can these things be killed toe to toe? or just jousting? has anyone just stood there trading blows and survived?

11. I've gone toe to toe with them quite a few times with Connor. At the start of a few of the fights the dragon got a lucky roll with the RNG and I had to run out of range and hit a Confidence heal really fast, but they're not all that tough, especially once you get them down below half health.

The trick to tanking them is to hit Evasion right at the start of the fight so you can avoid the first firebreath attack. Once that first one is out of the way you can usually have them down to half health before they hit you with another, depending on what type of weapon you're using. I recommend something along the lines of an Elven Machete or Radiant Scimitar (diamond mace for macing and leaf blade for fencing) so that you keep a high swing speed while you're taking damage.