1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

guess we now know what the dupe was

Discussion in 'UHall' started by SlobberKnocker, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SlobberKnocker

SlobberKnocker Slightly Crazed

seems like everyone and his brother has a slither for sale for 160mln....

2. Cyrah

Cyrah Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I noticed many for sale too, but if it reverted why do they still have them?

3. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Because they Xfered them off the shard before the revert.

4. popps

popps Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

There is one thing I have not been able to understand so far and that is why in Ultima Online, after 15 Years, we still have problems with duping. Is it a problem of software coding ? Why is it not possible to just make duping a thing of the past and never ever come back to harm the game ? Why does it instead inevitably come back ??

5. popps

popps Always Present

If that is the case, then the revert was useless ?

Lots of players were hurt by a revert which did not fix the duping results ?
    If so, this is no good news, IMHO.

I hope that there is a way to track down all of the duped items and delete them regardless of what Shard they may have been transferred to.

#5 popps, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  6. Kylie Kinslayer

Kylie Kinslayer Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Hmmm you mean y'all don't buy the "data was corrupted" story?

:tinhat:

7. Lynk

Lynk Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Um, do you not pay attention? The revert was the reason that the dupes exist. The 15 people that actually understand this game stated this about 50 times in 50 different ways but no one seemed to care. The only way to prevent dupes from a server revert is to revert all of the servers to the same date.

Schatzi, shanshu, THP and 5 others like this.
  8. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

I think you are all totally bonkers. If someone is duping they will do it no matter what... There was corrupt data whatever..... if it's going to be "fixed" it would take a lot of work and I personally have never known a game to be without some buggy something I don't think there is a way to totally stop any of it..... but KR was designed to fix many of those issues...... however we all know how that went.

IMO they need to drive a nail in the coffin of this game ...... perhaps turn off the 2d client is the answer to ending this sort of junk but I'm sure someone will then find hacks and cheats for the EC. So what's the point?

Gameboy and Tazar like this.
  9. KLOMP

KLOMP Sage

Imagine you have a Slither on Atlantic, and you transfer to Great Lakes with it. So far so good. You now have a Slither on Great Lakes, but no Slither on Atlantic. You own only one Slither.

Then Atlantic gets rolled back by like 12 days. Your Slither is still there on Great Lakes where you left it, but now it's also on Atlantic, because Atlantic was reverted back to before you transferred it. Now suddenly you own two Slithers, and also two of every single other thing you transferred with. Essentially the dev team has duped it all for you.

THIS is why people wanted all the shards rolled back at once.

All of you people who came in here and yelled "I DON'T KNOW WHY YOU WANT THEM TO ROLL BACK MY SHARD, DON'T PUNISH US JUST TO MAKE YOURSELVES FEEL BETTER!" at the Atlantic people? These are your dupes. You asked for these dupes. You begged for them. Enjoy them.

No, there wasn't a dupe bug on Atlantic that forced them to roll it back. That's conspiracy theory garbage from people who don't know how computers work. Cluebat: If a dupe bug were published to the shards, you would have to revert all the shards, not just Atlantic.

shanshu, G.v.P, Shakkara and 2 others like this.
  10. flappy6

flappy6 Sage

i was hoping theyd dupe those they are way to hard to get and cost to much,ive killed about 60 madusa without a drop thats just a waste of time

11. SlobberKnocker

SlobberKnocker Slightly Crazed

someones even selling an owned by no one slither for 150 mln.

flappy6 makes a good point. 60 medusas and he hasnt even sniffed one. i've killed well over 150 slashers and have only got one lavalierre. the grind to obtain these items is quite large and sometimes insurmountable for a casual player. so instead the player base finds a way to square root around this issue and viola. slithers for everyone.

i would hope the dev's figure stuff like this out in the future. there has to be a better way to come about desireable items.

now you've created a playing environment where the majority of slithers exist not as a result of acutally doing that peerless.

12. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Much as I would like to Grind out Medusa and Slasher because of my connection and whatnot I certainly can't solo much of anything.... so I have to have a group to do things with. But getting more than 2 people on at a time anymore seems like an effort in futility.

13. Merus

Merus Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran CasteoftheForgotten

The revert of only one shard over a twelve day period is probably the single largest dupe in recent memory, and it was courtesy of our Dev team. How many players transfer items off of ATL every day? 10? 20? 50? X 12 days...

But wait, leaving all the other shards alone was in the best interest of our game right!

#13 Merus, Dec 29, 2012
  14. Madrid

Madrid Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

No the biggest dupe in history and the one no one talks about when character copy was first activated on TC.

Players copied over characters with transfer tokens then were able to use their transfer tokens to transfer off TC with God only knows what ala "Give resources".

#14 Madrid, Dec 29, 2012
  15. S_S

S_S Certifiable
    The Squirrel Empire

This never happened. LOL

16. S_S

S_S Certifiable
    The Squirrel Empire

But for the OP, yes slithers have been for sale for 2 days now in un-godly amounts at lower prices. Just go watch Atl gen chat and 3-4 people have them for sale/trade at any given time right now.

17. Berethrain

Berethrain Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Yeah, those 5 slithers for sale were worth reverting everything......

Give it up and quit crying.

18. Madrid

Madrid Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Yeah?

I guess you don't remember them turning off the Character Copy option on TC and Transfers without saying a word right after activating it.

#18 Madrid, Dec 29, 2012
  19. Apetul

Apetul Rares Fest Host | LS April 2011
    Stratics Veteran

Im glad they didnt reverted the other shards. I could care less for 5, 20 or 500 more slithers. In fact, i hope the dupers did dupe 500 slithers because I would like to get a few for cheap for my chars.

20. S_S

S_S Certifiable
    The Squirrel Empire

Unless you think 150 mil per is cheap, maybe you should care.

21. Picus of Napa

Picus of Napa Slightly Crazed

To late and to little. I guess you could call it a win, I'm only pissed that my account's didn't get to reap the rewards.

22. Apetul

Apetul Rares Fest Host | LS April 2011
    Stratics Veteran

I've seen in LS gen chat a guy offering one (or more) for 125m for the past few days. I'll wait for 50m, that price shouldnt be that crazy cheap IF the slithers really did get duped so bad.

23. Merus

Merus Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran CasteoftheForgotten

So duping is GOOD for UO because it brings down the prices of items. I suppose scriptings is good too. All hail the new era of UO!

24. CovenantX

CovenantX Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Who said the slithers were duped?

I'm one of the four people on Atl selling them btw. soo basically people are accusing me of duping because I have 13 of them and I'm selling/trading 10 for other things I want... cry much?

25. CovenantX

CovenantX Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Btw I didn't transfer Too OR from Atlantic since late 2011. so I didn't benefit from the whole revert either.

26. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

Would be nice if we had a Gauntlet like accumulation system for all of the tough drops.

27. Warpig Inc

Warpig Inc Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Yah, Tee Hee Hee. I will be doing for the next 4 weeks what I been doing the last 4 weeks. Playing UO. We need a few more month deep reverts in the coming year. Gold Site that.

28. Corpin

Corpin Journeyman
    Governor

I have alot of slithers. I've sold and traded alot of slithers.

Fine, I will let you guys in on the secret...

MEDUSA DUPES SLITHERS!

Step 1: Quit pvp, and learn to do medusa but be clueless on all other trammy activities.

Step 2: Farm gorgon lense ingredients for an entire day or two following the directions as set forth by uoguide.

Step 3: whistle in a flute and target the holes. (Kinda perverted if you ask me)

Step 4: Curse Weapon, and armor ignore the dog shioot out of medusa.

Step 5: Not so much a step as it is repeat for months on end.

Step 6: Realize you dont need that many slithers, not to mention stupid amounts of floor tiles, statues and venoms.

Step 7: Sell and trade them.

If you follow these directions to a T, you just discovered the leet slither dupe, I mean its obviously a dupe and not dedication and lots of time, work etc.

Now go make lazy ass broke players so mad they drop their seed boxes and call you a duper.

Oh man, cats out of the bag now.

29. flappy6

flappy6 Sage

new era of uo?they been scripting since 1997........ and if they didnt your ingots ,wood,plus many of other things would cost so much more

30. Vexxed

Vexxed Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

It was my understanding that all xfers durring the dates in question are being fixed on a case by case basis.... There has to be xfer logs somewhere & Im sure the Dev team was aware of what a 12 day revert to just 1 shard made possible. Has anyone here who lost characters xferred to Atl durring the 12 days NOT had the then reverted (deleted) character retored?

CovenantX likes this.
  31. Gheed

Gheed Certifiable

Maybe the drop rates have changed? A couple friends and I did 10 Medussa runs last week. We got two slithers and a Medussa tile. I thought it was just an extremely lucky run. I have another 80 eggs collected for a run today. So we'll see!

CovenantX likes this.
  32. KLOMP

KLOMP Sage

Everyone who logged on and realized they had two of the same character went "LOL!" and stowed all their extra loot in their house while the devs were still running around panicking. Good luck sorting out what is what. There certainly hasn't been any report of GMs invading houses to delete revert-duped loot.

33. Lord X

Lord X Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Thing is with this revert dupe theory.... woulda had to been ppl xfering many slithers OFF ATL during the time frame. Why on gods green earth would you take multiple items that would sell for 150-175 to a shard that has less demand and if someone even wants one, they go for 125 or so. Doesnt make sense.

#33 Lord X, Dec 30, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
    Lord Frodo likes this.
  34. Vexxed

Vexxed Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Hmm... it just occurred to me that it could possible be the change to peerless key timers couldn't it? I thought they made it so that the timers were a lot longer now, which if I'm remembering correctly would allow people to effectively sell peerless keys on vendors. This in turn would allow those with the right knowledge & character setups to FARM like crazy would it not?

35. popps

popps Always Present

If that is the case, I would imagine that there are Logs for transfers from Atlantic to any other server AND, that to make sure things do not go wrong, the items being transferred during each of those transfer are logged into some transfer file.

What I am trying to say, is that perhaps it is possible to go and check the Atlantic --> Elsewhere Logs over those 12 days that Atlantic was reverted, check the list of items for each transfer sent to other shards over that time period and then get them deleted on those other shards to avoid dupes ?
    I am not sure how many transfers occurred from Atlantic to other shards over 12 days but perhaps they are enough a low number to go check them individually and delete the accidentally duped items because of the Atlantic revert ?

Besides, I seem to understand that each item has a unique ID number tagged to it. Perhaps the transfers' code lists BOTH the ID of the item on the originating shard AND the item transferred on the destination shard ? Or, even better, the ID stays the same over the transfer for that same item being transferred ? This way, I would guess, it would be even easier to locate all of the IDs of the transferred items and delete them to take care of the accidental duping because of the 1 shard revert...

As I said above, I think it may still be possible to take care of accidentally duped items by the revert without necessarily hurt other Shards as well, it may only require a little extra work to track down the transfers that occurred from Atlantic to other servers which I would guess, over only 12 days, are just a few or not many, possibly.

#35 popps, Dec 30, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  36. Arcades

Arcades Sage
    Stratics Veteran

People on ATL dont realize that Slithers on other shards like LS only sell for 120-150 at most. I bought and sold my first for under 100mil. A lot of the LS players are old vets and have multiple shard shields that gives us the option to sell on ATL if we wish. Ive only done 50 medusa's but have gotten 2 slithers...call me lucky. But I will continue to bring my wares to sell on ATL b/c my transfers are monthly and also free. I dunno how absurd people are to go about accusing an entire shard of duping...get a grip. The revert probably duped more items b/c it was an ATL only revert than anything else. I lost my char's stuff from an xfer from GL and also my shard shield to get home to LS. I didnt even get compensated for the gametime code that was promised to everyone.

37. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.