1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Guild Names

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Cogniac, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Cogniac

Cogniac Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

I was looking at the top guilds in Factions a few minutes ago, and it got me thinking about guild names. There are quite a few guilds displayed there with "offensive" names: "TEAM C{}CK BLOCK," "Rub My Sausage," "Want that big dink?", and "Seven Samurai Smokin Sensimilla" (sensimilla refers to seedless marijuana).

How is it that I can't make a character named "Cassandra" because it contains the word "ass," and someone with a character named "Poo" has his name forcibly changed by a GM, but these guilds are displayed in a special place of honor on the official UO website?

2. Chardonnay

Chardonnay Visitor

:sad2:

3. It Lives

It Lives Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

something dev something, something and a wet paper sack?

4. Fat Midnight

Fat Midnight Visitor

How is the pot reference offensive? If you dont like it, dont smoke it. It works for me.

5. Evlar

Evlar Guest

Actually, this is quite interesting.

In moments of boredom, I have "experimented" with character names and guild names. What you can actually get away with using as guild names and abbreviations, although not shocking to me personally, is quite surprising - given the restrictions on character names.

It's actually possible, to have any three or four letter offensive word you care to think of, as a guild abbreviation. How long they would last before being reported, or a GM spotted them, is another matter entirely I suppose. ;)

So how would one argue their case to a GM, when the abbreviation they use actually stands for Fighting Undertakers Creating Korpses. Not suggesting anyone create the obvious abbreviation here, but it does beg the question, what is actually offensive, is it intentional or not, should it be dealt with or not?

You the audience decide ;)

6. legendsguy

legendsguy Sage
    Stratics Veteran

hmm.. perhaps because it's federally illegal? yeah, seems like a good enough reason not to mention or promote it. you know, you guys are the reason marijuana will never be legal. no one really has a problem with marijuana, we have a problem with the morons who smoke it.

7. Lady Laurel

Lady Laurel Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran Alumni LOST

:thumbsup: this whole quote, especially the bold part

8. phantus

phantus Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Because all you have to do is keep paging at different times on different days to get a GM to do something that another will not do. UO's most consistent trait is it's inconsistency. That and they are too lazy to make an appropriate filter for the game.

9. hen

hen Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

So if I named a character 'Murderer' I could expect it to be changed as that is "federally illegal" right?

10. jbfortune

jbfortune Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Yup

11. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

Uh oh guys, don't EVER argue with a pothead...wait, what were we just talking about? Jim Breuer?

Sad thing is, thanks to Obama, everything will be legal soon enough.

Oh, yeah, and Cogniac, if you can't beat them, come with them. Something like that.

12. Cogniac

Cogniac Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

I'm not saying that I'm personally offended by any of these guild names. Personally, I believe that marijuana should be legalized and regulated as a new source of tax revenue.

The point is that all of these names, under the rules of the game, are considered "offensive" and thus against the rules, yet they are ironically being displayed and even honored on the UO site itself, even though they are comparatively much worse than names such as "Poo" and "Cassandra."

13. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

I don't know about Poo, but I'm all for certain Cassandras
    [​IMG]

14. Picus at the office

Picus at the office Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

+1:thumbup1:

15. Sneaky Que

Sneaky Que Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

While Tobacco and Alcohol are legal, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever why pot shouldnt be legal too. Think about it. Booze is far more dangerous for you than Pot - if you smoke too much you will pass out and wake up with a slight headache, if you drink too much you could easily die from it.

Wait, I hear someone yelling "WHAT ABOUT THE HAZARDS OF SMOKING AND THE DAMAGE IT CAN DO TO YOU?!?" Oh yes, smoking is bad for you (no matter what it is you are smoking), but like I said, while Tobacco is legal, using that argument against Pot is a major fail.

16. Sneaky Que

Sneaky Que Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Who cares. Really. Unless they are directly being offensive to you I wouldn't worry about it.

17. KalVasTENKI

KalVasTENKI Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Hahahhaha... "TEAM C{}CK BLOCK," "Rub My Sausage," "Want that big dink?"
    These made me laugh the most. :lol:

Marijuana isn't illegal in terms of names but when you make a character
    they have automatic word filters , same thing with engraving tools...

For some reason they forgot to add that to guild names. :gee: