1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Guild Wars 2: The Ultima Online of 2012

Discussion in 'GW2 General Discussions' started by Bella, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Bella

Bella Guest

Some time back, I was reading some posts at UO Stratics forums when I came across a thread discussing various aspects of Ultima Online. Within the thread was a post by Zosimus, the now Managing Editor of GW2 Stratics, and in it he mentioned to another poster that he had PM'd him some information about a yet-to-be-released game that he felt played a lot like UO. Intrigued, I PM'd Zosimus and asked about said game. I have been looking forward to Guild Wars 2 ever since AND I have not been disappointed.

A big part of what has drawn me to Guild Wars 2 is that I get the same feel for it as I do when I play UO. So I find the following article by tr1age really interesting. Tr1age validates much of how I feel and think about the similarities between UO and GW2, how they both encourage exploring the world and getting to know how to play your character without a lot of hand-holding. How it's better to learn the inner workings of your skills than to become dependent upon items that do it for you (obviously this is before items became such a big part of UO). I like all that. But, as any UO veteran knows, there is so much more to it than just that. It's the whole "Package". And I truly believe you can only know what I mean if you are either a past or present UOer or have been participating in the GW2 beta.

It is with much love and affection that I wish both Ultima Online and Guild Wars 2 ungodly amounts of future success and longevity :)

Thank you, tr1age. You can find the original article here at ALTTABME.

Syrus and Zosimus like this.
  2. Zosimus

Zosimus Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Great find Bella. I just got back from my crazy 9 days of vacation :) Lost power the night I was leaving and left while the state was under emergency lol. 100+ degress every day with a heat index at the beach and drove through a crazy thunder and waterfall rain storm in my home state. Last sunday was a nice 119 degrees with the heat index.

I should add I also ran into a 4 to 5 foot lemon shark about 3 feet away from in the water near the jetti wall while walking out into the water. I walked backwards while he turned away and swam away. Of course others thought it was funny because I have no fear of the ocean when it comes to sharks but it caught me off guard lol. So me walking backwards brought some comic relief for the rest of the day. lol

Picture of what they look like below.

[​IMG]

Ok back on topic. This is why I love GW2. It has that UO feel of exploring the game. I can RP if I wish. I can feel like a hero and particpate in my own perosnal story. I can go out and defende my server in WvWvW and stay in character if I choose so. It's not UO but has that UO feel that imo, was long lost a long time ago.

3. Taylor

Taylor Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
    Professional VIP Stratics Veteran Supporter Alumni Campaign Benefactor Alumni

Yeah, let's draw some of them UO folks over. :)

Zosimus likes this.
  4. Zosimus

Zosimus Grand Inquisitor

You know there are UO players that are already in Beta :p lol

Plus I know a few that are coming this way :)

5. Bella

Bella Guest

I have yet to choose a home server. Now is a good time to figure these things out. Especially if any UOer's (past and present) as well as any Stratics staff would like to play together at some point. I've a couple x-Catskills friends that are also giving GW2 a try and are asking me about which server my hubby and I will be on. I'm glad to see they are anxious! Of course there is the whole guesting to other servers option. So much to decide and time is ticking!! And trust me, that is NOT a complaint!! :)

Zosimus likes this.
  6. Zosimus

Zosimus Grand Inquisitor

Personally it depends on the type of server you are looking for. There will be some servers very full and others so not. I personally like the mid ranged populated servers.

[​IMG]