1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Halloween 2009 treats very weird Design ?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by popps, Oct 29, 2009.

1. popps

popps Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Someone told me about something that I find VERY weird about the 2009 Halloween treats.

In order to get the rare treats apparently one has to die otherwise it becomes very very difficult to have one of them even at GM beggar ??

I find it quite unusual. Unusual that the Designers might have designed them almost requiring that players seeked the death of their characters in order to get these rarer treats, even at GM beggar, and most of all that this design feature was not told ? At least, I cannot find any mention of it anywhere.

What would be the logic behind designing the Halloween 2009 treats in this way if what I have been told holds true ??

I do not understand.

For the record, after 54 Cherry, 57 Lime and 38 Orange Lollipops, as well as 49 Nougat Swirls, 44 Wrapped Candies, 57 Taffies and 58 Jellybeans (total 357 treats not including those stolen by the evil twin...) I received zero, none, nada, nils of the rare ones........

2. Maggie

Maggie Guest

I am a GM beggar and perhaps I need to die. I have 600+ pieces of candy (if I ate that much I should/would die!) and one web.

Oh but I am happy they lowered weight of candy. Yay.

3. popps

popps Always Present

I am more and more getting the impression that such time sink designs only benefit the scripters who can just design their script, press a button and then come collect their treats, rare ones included, without wasting their time at it..........

WHEN will the Designers finally get rid this game of scripting and allow all players to finally be able to play on an EQUAL basis ??

WHEN ????

4. Minerva Foxglove

Stratics Veteran

I have 3 of thoose new rare stealables. No dieing at all. Just begged an hour or two in two evenings. Even got that cookie plate and a small spider web, same as last year. Oh im GM begging.

I love the event, all of it ,so I have just tried a bit of everything:thumbup:

5. Maplestone

Maplestone Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Once a year, one of the rarer skills gets a perk.

If you do not have a GM begger this year, then you know you have a year to train the skill for next year.

If it's not fun, don't do it.

6. Crysta

Crysta Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Its amazing the BS people's minds will invent to explain why the RNG hates them today.

7. Flutter

Flutter Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

lol I guess they didn't realize your character has to be facing North to even have a CHANCE at getting a rare.

8. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

LOL
    I got a web last night, Trick or Treating, and my begging is only mid 60'ish!
    Hadn't trick or treated at all yet, the third npc i hit up gave it to me :p

Probably used up my turn on the RNG for the next month tho...:mf_prop:

9. Crysta

Crysta Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Don't forget the whistling on Tuesday rule.

10. Argh

every 500 or so pieces of candy you get something.

I havent died. GM.

you can make a macro in 2D that says happy halloween and selects an NPC MOBILE and be done with it.

I can run and hit escape (my macro key) the 2D NON SCRIPTERS macro bangs away.

Im faster then a scripter. I can run on horse and slow so I dont outrun my macro.

Try it.

11. Aurelius

Aurelius Babbling Loonie

Bad Crysta! It's NO whistling on Tuesdays that makes it work! Misleading people like that, you should be ashamed of yourself..

12. Crysta

Crysta Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

13. Fink

Fink Guest

This may be semantics to some but I feel it's an important distinction:

Begging = Asking
    Stealing = Taking

Professionally speaking beggars aren't thieves and thieves aren't beggars. If you're running some sort of hybrid template you're something like a charlatan.

14. Gheed

Gheed Certifiable

It just means your due. I have two grim warnings or w/e and 5 of those skulls on a pike thingers. Webs/milks/pizzas/cookies/cakes in various amounts as well. This was from a total of around 3 hrs trick or treating. I have 3kish + candy not including what my bro stole. I have not died once during this. The rng is a *******. I'll get nothing but candy for 25 min then 3 or 4 rares in under 5 min.

Hitting dry spells like this just gives folks the illusion that they did something special to prompt it (like dying).

15. Kiminality

Kiminality Guest

There should be daily CAPS on Trick or treating :mad:

16. *scratches head*

You mean "TRICK OR TREAT" instead of "Trick or Treat?"

17. Harlequin

Harlequin Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

When? As a matter of fact, right now.

Firstly, where did you hear that you have to die?

Secondly, please re-read the patch notes. http://www.uoherald.com/news/news.php?newsid=979

And look at the second paragraph that says this:
    This halloween, there is no insta-kill evil twin.

Thirdly, the insta-kill thing actually deters scripters. But it's a pain for non scripters as well.

Finally, although they removed the insta-kill, which impacts non-scripting players as well, they replaced it several other features to prevent scripting.

So before you cry foul, I assure you that this halloween event is very very well designed. They have actually considered it from several angles from letting non mages participate to well designed quests that does not give scripters any advantages.

18. Slickjack

Slickjack Rares Fest Host | Cats Nov 2010
    Stratics Veteran

Is there a way to put a Stratics poster on ignore like you can place a player in game on the IGNORE list?

I just am tired of the anti Ultima, Ultima players.

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times:

If you are SO unhappy with this game, LEAVE.
    Please, do us all a favor and quit while you still can find a game that doesn't make you miserable.

19. NewThunder

NewThunder Guest

Popps, when I wrote that reply to you on the rares forum I was only yanking your chain, I have no idea if killing yourself will assist in getting items trick or treating, I have been laughing all day at work to think you actually believed it and got all upset about it. Thank you though, I haven't smiled this much at work for a very long time!

20. Harlequin

Stratics Veteran

LOL! So you are the culprit! Now I feel bad for Popps...

Thanks for clearing that up, I just read the thread over in the rares forum. So the dieing part is to reset the RNG :D

@Popps - It's technically UO superstition. Though when doing certain things like skill training, I still do that too, and eating, and crossing server lines etc. Old habits die hard. Hey, even if it doesn't work, it breaks the monotony.

21. The Fallout

The Fallout Guest

Don't forget they need to spam the "salute" macro.

22. popps

popps Always Present

Why should I think that what you were telling me was not true ?

I had no elements to judge it as true or false and, therefore, I had to assume it as true untill I could gain more elements to better assess the information.

Hence, I posted on UHall to gain further information.

To me, it is a logical process to assess the validity of an information I received.

23. ^Wolfie^

^Wolfie^ Visitor

Anybody with half a brain would have known... LOL, sorry I find this hilarious.

24. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

I dunno what you are talking about....

I have a GM beggar and so far I've gotten 3 spider webs, one plate of Mr Plains cookies, a pumpkin pizza, murky milk, a creepy cake, 2 of the 3 skulls on a pike and 2 of the Grim Warnings... and countless candies... and I've only been begging 2 times now about an hour or two each time.

25. AEowynSP

AEowynSP Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Now if only they would do a herding quest. *sighs*

26. Popps, what NewThunder forgot to tell you is that you have to die with a full insured suit on. Sometimes it takes several tries.

:lie:

27. I have 77.5 Begging. I have got 100 each candy,
    Got
    3 Harvest Wine.
    1 web.
    1 Murky milk.
    1 creepy cake.
    Spent about One and Half hours total to get that.

28. Me too. I got one hell of a chuckle out of this one. :gee:

29. siyeng0

siyeng0 Guest

I have recieved two webs for about one hundred pieces of candy and my Begging skill is a cool 0.00. Not once have I died.

So Popps.

1) If you have begged over nine thousand pieces of candy and haven't recieved anything rare, then you're just unlucky.
    2) If you're buttburnt because people who have trained their beggars to GM are getting more than you - when Hallowe'en last year was exactly the same way; you had an entire year to prepare yourself, don't try to tell me that this came as a surprise - then you're just childish.
    3) If you honestly expect the devs to reconfigure the entire event just because you couldn't be bothered training one skill in the past twelve months, when in reality you have a perfectly good chance of getting rare items anyway... then you're just an idiot.

...why do I argue with you? Even the RNG outwits you. I sometimes wonder if you're actually a chatbot.

30. popps

popps Always Present

I do not understand.

Shouldn't I trust people unless I have elements to think otherwise ?

I had no elements whatsoever to think otherwise so, the only logical other solution was to conclude that what I saw being told, until I found out different, was the actual truth.

To make sure, I conducted further investigation but until I came out with a different picture I had no element not to believe what I was being told.

It sounds linear and logical to me.

31. Tom_Builder

Tom_Builder Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

I'm GM Begger. So far I have had about an hour of free time to play since this started. I got 2 of the skulls in a spike, 2 webs. I have about 400 candy total. I havent died on this char since last year.

Tom

32. Maggie

Maggie Guest

I miss the instant death. The exploding body parts. I hardly feels like halloween without body parts strewn about.

33. popps

popps Always Present

Perhaps my sense of humor differs and quite some.........

34. Black Sun

Black Sun Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I haven't died on my beggar in a damn long time. A few weeks at least.
    Tonight alone I got 2 skulls on pikes, 2 grim warnings, 4 webs, 1 plate of cookies, 2 pizzas and a buttload of candy.

35. popps

popps Always Present

How odd.......... I thought I did mention GM Beggar.....

I will never get it why I mention GM Beggar and readers still think I may be using anything below......

Go figure.....

36. popps

popps Always Present

I suspect it might be considered some type of "humor"....

Not that I understand it or agree with it, but oh well...........

37. Black Sun

Black Sun Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Yeah, I saw that after I replied.
    Knowing the full situation, I do see the humor.

Good one Thunder!

38. Maggie

Maggie Guest

I just got my first new rare. A grim warning. It is very scary. 1,113 pieces of candy to get it. I m not a scripter. I have a macro for saying trick or treat then target nearest mobile.

right after posting I went back to trick or treating and got 14 pieces of candy and another grim omen.

39. Harlequin

Stratics Veteran

I understand what you mean. As I mentioned, I do the suicide dance in certain situations too. I have no proof it works, but I feel better having done something about it.

But try to refrain from letting your posts degrade into a complain. Your first post can still be considered a request for info (though one still feels it is bordering on a complaint).

But your second post degraded it into a complain and the typical "woe be I, a great injustice hath been wrought unto me" post.

40. Norther

Norther Guest

Yeah I commit hari kari in certain situations also. Stuck gains and wat not. No clue if it helps but makes me feel better and saves the life of a monitor so...

Maybe I'm a little jaded but I norm opposite tact and dont believe anything Im told and only half what i see.

41. Shantia

Shantia Guest

I gm'ed begging the day after the halloween content was released on baja, and so far through casual play i've gotten:
    6 spider webs
    2 grim warning
    3 skulls on pikes
    atleast one of each of the food rares
    and 2540 total candy ...Favorite rare to give me, cookies!

Luck of the draw, happy i'm getting lucky this year!

Someone mentioned being able to set up a macro for it in 2D, can they please explain how to set up the macro, it's not working for me.

42. Harlequin

Stratics Veteran

This is how I do it in 2d,

1 enable new targeting system
    2 say trick or treat
    3 select nearest mobile
    4 target last

Once you have created it, go back into macros and double check the lines are in the correct order. It jumbles up sometimes.

I use nearest mobile instead of next so that I can control who the client targets by just standing on top of my mark. Don't like to use Select next as my mark could be out of range, then I would have to scroll thru every mob on the screen again.

Uoa tip:

I setup organizer agent to dump all the candies into a sub pack. The hotkey for this is set to same one as my trick or treat macro above. Ticked the checkbox to pass the keystroke to UO.

This way, the candies are sorted as I go trick or treating. When I am done, i just dump the nicely sorted container at home.

Edit: I also have a non targeting macro that just says trick or treat mapped to ctrl shift z. This is for those that I miss. I use Ctrl shift so that it brings up the npc object handle for easy targetting.

43. Shantia

Shantia Guest

Thank you Harlequin!! works like a charm, oh boy am i gonna kill my arm playing uo now! lol. Trick or treating is so much fun =D oh and pumpkins...pumpkins rock.

44. Tomas_Bryce

Tomas_Bryce Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
    Stratics Veteran

Here is a novel idea for you. Perhaps, next time you can test it in game before complaining here. *curses*

45. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

Why do most of your issues have to do with other people's speculation? Find out for yourself.

46. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I think having to die to make things better is one of those UO myths. We all know that the RNG can give you really bad luck. And from the looks of it there are people having a lot worse luck than you popps. Look at the second post.

Second, why accuse Designers of making it so you have to die if it is only hearsay? lol

47. Sevin0oo0

Sevin0oo0 Guest

Do you have to Beg to get stuff other than candy, or just have begging on that toon? Sorry, haven't used begging since last Halloween & forgot how.

48. Vertigo

Vertigo Guest

say Trick or Treat. Target cursor appears. Click NPC.

49. Sara1

Sara1 Adventurer

I just made a begger about a week ago. I've spent much time watching her beg from rangers, mainly. She has made well over 100k and is now 97.8 begging. Today for the first time I took her out to play around. She came home with way too much candy, lol, and a pumpkin pizza, 2 webs, and 2 of the wines. IMHO I think this is the very best Halloween yet. I love the quest, I love the Trick or Treating, and I just plain love UO. Thanks, Devs!!!

50. Schuyler Bain

Schuyler Bain Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Indeed there is. Go to your "User Control Panel" (CP) and choose "Edit Ignore List" from the menu on the left. You type in the Stratics user name you wish to ignore and that is it. This person's posts will be shown collapsed, but you can click to read individual posts or if someone quotes the post you will see it. I have a few people on ignore for the very reason you mention.

:thumbup: