1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Happy Belated Birthday to Ultima 7

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Woodsman, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

Ludes, BeaIank, aricz and 2 others like this.
  2. BeaIank

BeaIank Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

Ultima 7 was the best of the best of the Prime Ultima games. :)

aricz and Ludes like this.
  3. Ludes

Ludes Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Might just be time to pull that game back out and play it again. I'll never forget how cool it was to bake my first loaf of bread.

4. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

Even though I have it in a couple of different formats, I bought it off of GOG recently just to have everything packaged up. Plays really well under the GOG package, or under Exult. I have it running in I think 1920x1080 on Exult.

The first time I played Ultima 7...I think it was like 320x240 and it brought my machine almost to a crawl. The interview with one of the designers on UltimaCodex said they were using 33Mhz 386's.

Hard to imagine that Ultima used to be another word for cutting edge.

5. BeaIank

BeaIank Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

Oi, I still remember how thrilled I was when we found out that you could... BAKE bread in game. I spent days doing it! :p
    Not that I needed food for the party. For that I sat at taverns at night and "borrowed" food ordered by the patrons.
    Which reminds me... day-night cycles, with programmed NPC behavior for both... I need to play it again.

6. SunWolf

SunWolf Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Actualy was playing it yesterday, I never played it before and messed around some in it and yesterday a friend kept bugging me asking how far I have gotten in it and start playing it more. Had no clue it was it's 20th ann.

7. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

It's still so weird to think how much unique behavior there was with the NPCs in a game that came on floppies, and the day-night cycles. They had some really good programmers. Of course the original memory management was...a pain.

8. SunWolf

SunWolf Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Found a workable forge, is there away to smith in the game for the hell of it?

9. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

Yes, but there is also a reason to blacksmith (from one of the walkthroughs)