1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Has Anyone Else Had This Happen While Mining?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Tina Small, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Tina Small

Tina Small Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran 4H

Just had something kind of strange happen. While mining in one particular location, the ore changed from bronze to copper during the same visit to that location.

As you can see from the journal in the screen shot below, my miner got some iron ore, a piece of bronze stone, more iron ore, more bronze ore, and then more bronze stone. At that point, I clicked on the pack llama's bar to open it in anticipation of throwing the stone in there when I finished mining that spot. Since I wasn't quite finished with the spot, I used my last object/last target macro to keep mining, forgetting that the macro was kind of botched because of opening up the llama's backpack. After getting that squared away and resuming the mining, all of a sudden I was getting copper ore.

Just thought this was odd enough to want to document it for anyone else trying to figure out just what triggers a change in the ore.

[​IMG]

2. Oriana

Oriana Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I've had that happen several times. I think that when you re-target like that, which is when it happens to me too, you get just the edge of the next spot. It freaked me out big time when I went from mining shadow to verite after re targeting even though I thought it was in the same spot. I finished digging the verite then re targeted again just a bit away again and finished up the shadow. Now if only that verite spot would have stayed verite. :/

3. Tina Small

Stratics Veteran 4H

Ah, that would make sense, hitting a slightly different spot after fiddling around with the llama's backpack. It did freak me out a bit. LOL

4. UOKaiser

UOKaiser Guest

Exactly you hit another vein. Mark those spots that you can reach multiple veins without moving. Keep the better spots to youreself :)

5. DVDA

DVDA Guest

Bah I've mined some much i think i even recognize the spot...is that near Brit town on the way to wind on Pacific Shard?

6. Tina Small

Stratics Veteran 4H

Nope, that's Malas on Europa.

7. Harlequin

Harlequin Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

I think the spot respawned just while you were organizing your packy. And it respawned with copper instead of bronze.

I see a propspector's tool, did you use it earlier on that spot to upgrade the copper to bronze?

I have weird experiences with the upgraded ore seemingly carrying over to the respawn. Though it could have been a respawn that just happened to give me ore that's 1 level above the original.

8. Tina Small

Stratics Veteran 4H

Nah, I've been carrying that thing around for weeks now and I don't think I've used it even once yet. Still trying to get a good supply of all the various types of ingots on that shard, so for now I just take whatever the spot yields. I mark a rune for every spot that gives anything other than iron and try to go through all the runes at least once every day or so. I've been pleasantly surprised at how much verite and valorite ore I've gotten without using a prospector's tool or gargoyle pickaxe. Most of those ores aren't smelted yet, though, because it took a while to get some +5 mining gloves and my miner there doesn't have a fire beetle. Now I just have to convince myself it will be fun to smelt about 2000 small pieces each of verite and valorite ore, four at a time. (If I have a fire beetle, I smelt the verite and valorite ore large pieces one at a time right after I finish mining a spot.)

9. Vertigo

Vertigo Guest

A stealth miner used a prospectors tool just to mess with ya.

I could happen.

10. Tina Small

Stratics Veteran 4H

Anything's possible! However, it went from bronze to copper so it would've needed to be some fancy gizmo I've never heard of that lowers the ore value instead of raising it.

*smacks forehead*

Oh! I know what that thingie's called! The RNG! The bane of my UO existence. That THING that for some reason gives me some granite but very few gems and mighty few blackrock pieces....

:p

(I can't complain too loud though because the RNG has been pretty kind on that shard with regard to the verite and valorite. Can't wait to see if it is as kind to my lumberjack if I ever get motivated to finish the trudge from 94 to GM.)

11. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

the ore spot just changed I bet! i have this happen to me alot

12. Harlequin

Harlequin Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Lol, you know what? I had my own head smacking moment! I was trying to describe the random ore spawning and just realized that doh, that's right, why didn't I just say RNG hehe

13. Risso

Risso Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Your character is wearing one of my LRC suits I think.. :D

14. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend GoT

Happened to me last night, and I pulled this thread out to reply. Right in the middle of digging up some shadow, and I started getting Bronze....no idea why..happened on the KR client.

15. Dermott of LS

Dermott of LS UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran

What type of mining macro were you using? If you were using TargetBy Resource, then it is probable that the macro hit a different vein (TbR tries to hit every vein within reach and tends to not care in which order).

16. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend GoT

17. Zodiac19

Zodiac19 Guest

I've had the vein I was mining do a refresh in the middle of my run. So, yes I have had the vein change colors between digs.